Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

flightsim commander 9.0 is out

Dougal, I agree on the communications thing. Some answers with a big ! at the end seemed somehow rude if a simple and polite question had been asked before.Also some feature wishes got treated like this and I don't mean the always repeated things.But, we must both admit, that this kind of perception is a very personal thing. I could name some other devs around with the same "rudeness" while other people would name them as the best in town.I also understand their need for some money after years of free 8.x updates to all customers. But we both might judge the whole package: small improvements from 8.6 to 9.0, discontinued support towards any 8.x question and the somehow rude bias at some threads and then come to a point where one could be disappointed. Fully understandable to me.

The range between 'good' and 'bad' support can be vast...I've just come from the Quality Wings forum, having recently made my first purchase there. I just happen to mention I didn't like the slightly 'misty' effect of the front glass in the VC.Corey immediately said that although "no promises", he will look into changing it!Now THAT is listening to ones customers :( :( :(

Having used the demo, I must say I actually like it.Right Clicking to add ad-hoc waypoints is very useful, and the full transition tkaing you from the end of the STAR to the localiser is neat.There is a workaround of course, for the fact that you can't insert both STARS AND Trannnies..... simply, add the STAR you want manually - by adding waypoints, and then insert the transition.STARS rarely have more than a few points so it doesn't take long. At least then you have something that resembles the plan in your FMC !So, do your basic flightplan... add the SID.... and then export the plan to your PMDG or FS plan folder. Import into your GPS/FMC and you're good to go.THEN... add the Transition, and manually added STAR WPs to your FSC plan and save again as for example "Full Version" in your FSC plan folder, and you have the full plan that you EXPECT to fly. In the RW, FMCs are usually only programmed with the basic course, as the actual STAR is not known until approach. Once you do - or IF - you add a STAR, it will hopefully match your FSC plan, especially if you request the full ILS in Radar Contact, or "know" that VATSIM are using a particular approach that day.So, yes, it's a little in-elegant, but you can create a full FSC plan including both SIDS and STARS, together with Transitions, but a little manual "intervention" or common sense, is required !As for other enhancements, like VATSIM integrations... not sure yet as I haven't tried them.But for $30, the extra features are probably worth it... the Transitions are very useful, as is the right-clicking to add temporary ad-hoc WPs... .in v8 adding User WPs was a royal pain !!! i know these are only temporary, but ... it's so quick to do it... who cares ? !!!
****The (IFR Clearance delivery, before departure) Star and Star Transition is normally filed with the route and is flown (keeps you out of restricted airspace etc).For example, the 600nm filed route from KDTW-KATL is just SID and STAR (with transitions).KDTW RID4 RID SOT.FLCON5 KATLThe arrival runway and its transition is more often subject to change but you are on vectors well before that. The assigned runway/approach is easily made in the FMC during the last segments of the STAR.IMO, all SIDs, STARS, Approaches and their transitions should be selectable in FSC and all working during the flight.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

And how many pilots actually get their "intended" STAR ?Filing an intention to fly, is not the same as this is where I'm going.... Pilots of airliners will never activate a STAR in their FMC until around 50 miles out.Also, many STARS are runway specific (so depends on wind etc. (many aren't of course) - and many more still, have a common FAF, with hold, where everyone holds and awaits vectors.So, don't be too harsh on the program's inability to put the entire flight onto the flightplan automatically.

** Have you actually flown on-line yet with real "people" controllers?"And how many pilots actually get their "intended" STAR ?"** Well, if not, then what do they get? And when do they get it.** If they do not file a STAR before departure how do they file their route?** Maybe you could go so far as to give an example of what you are talking about."Filing an intention to fly, is not the same as this is where I'm going...."** I have no idea where you are going or what you are taking about here!"Pilots of airliners will never activate a STAR in their FMC until around 50 miles out."** You are wrong about this.** There is nothing to activate ...that I know of.** what is this 50 mile thing?** STAR transitions / STARs start hundreds of miles from destination."Also, many STARS are runway specific (so depends on wind etc. (many aren't of course) - and many more still, have a common FAF, with hold, where everyone holds and awaits vectors."** So what?** Does this mean STARs are not filed?So, don't be too harsh on the program's inability to put the entire flight onto the flightplan automatically.** I was not harsh. ** I mentioned it was purely my opinion.** I seen on one of your earlier posts you said (using radar contact): "Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:44 PMWhy is RC going barmy at you ? Surely, asking for an IAP allows you to go where you want to ? They do for a SID after all.To be honest I haven't tried filing a FP witohut a STAR/SID (via FSC), so maybe they do ? "

Best Regards,

I may be getting STARS and Approaches mixed up a little as far as FMCs are concerned... but I am sure that STARS are not always programmed into the FMC at the departure airport. I am only going by Capt Mike's tutorials here, and he seems to ignore STARS at departure... as do a number of other tutorials I have read.I can only go by these as I am not a RW pilot. Some STARS are runway dependent. As such, you cannot always expect to fly the STAR you are hoping for.It would be ideal if you could program the whole plan into FSC, but there are maual workarounds - that was the main point I was making.As for Radar Contact, they always try to vector me from around 50-60 miles out, so many STARS are useless, unless I specifically ask for one.Again, I am only thinking in terms of how I fly FS9/FSX and the procedures I come across... so RC behaviour is certainly relevant to me and the type of plan I want to see in FSC. I also hear people constantly moaning about how VATSIM refuse to accept many flightplans. I would "imagine"... that much of that is to do with STARS/Approaches etc. being used at the time, and the flow and amount of traffic. But seriously... ##### with looking at my old posts - you hankering for a spot in Mi5 or something ? Get a life pal.

From the guide to flightplanning from the VATSIM website:"...In the normal course of events a SID will be given to you when you have copied your clearance with Clearance or Ground or whichever controller is online. Because each runway has different Standard Departures, the contoller who gives you clearance will most likely tell you which SID you are to fly. After you copy your clearance you have the luxury of a little time before requesting startup or taxi to program that SID into your Flight Computer and program in your initial altitude, heading and speed into your autopilot. "So... you ain't gonna have much time to add it to FSC either !!!And, another post on the VATSIM website - "... Correct, at least thats what I do. If there is a flyin though at that airport or the airport you headed to, controllers may have a specific route and SID and STAR they want you to follow. In cases like that, they will simply tell you the new route and amend you FP... "Here's another:... "... You select your own based on active runways (sometimes), other fields operations (sometimes, see the charts) and on your overall direction of flight - in the US. In many other countries, controllers assign you your STAR/SID"As I said in my original - and getting tired to be honest - post, you cannot ALWAYS expect to be able to fly the exact SID and STAR of your choosing. I'm no expert and not a RW pilot, so I can only go by what I read and learn as I go along... so I think my original proposition was quite reaonable: filing a SID and STAR, entering in your FMC and onto an FSC flight plan, before flying, is likely - at some point - to leave you high and dry !!! This is why many SOPs for FMC useage etc., actually suggest that choosing STARS and approaches can often be left until you know for sure which you will use. In fact, in my ATR 72-500 FMC, I cannot re-enter a different STAR once activated - I have to restart the damn thing to make any significant changes. So, I am definitely better off waiting for the final STAR to be "confirmed" (ieI know that I will be flying it) - BEFORE I enter it into the FMC, or I may have to fly the resulting STAR by hand.

"I may be getting STARS and Approaches mixed up a little"** Yes, this is true"as far as FMCs are concerned"No, You do not understand STARs or the FMC."... but I am sure that STARS are not always programmed into the FMC at the departure airport."** You use the word "always".** Yes, some routes do not have STARs.** If the route has a STAR then yes they are programmed at the gate ...or else the FMC cannot do its jobs.** You need more training in this area."I am only going by Capt Mike's tutorials here, and he seems to ignore STARS at departure... as do a number of other tutorials I have read."** The word "seems" indicates you are still unfamiliar with the subject.** Keep reading.** Do some On-Line flights."I can only go by these as I am not a RW pilot."** Ok, but I am a RW pilot."Some STARS are runway dependent."** This is true. ** So what?** And, the arrival runway is known and expected and filed at the gate prior to departure.** But, anything about the route can be changed by ATC at any time. And, often is." As such, you cannot always expect to fly the STAR you are hoping for."** You do not "hope" for anything.** You route must be filed and approved before you start your engines!"It would be ideal if you could program the whole plan into FSC, but there are maual workarounds - that was the main point I was making."** You are wrong about this.** You need more training and you will do ok.."As for Radar Contact, they always try to vector me from around 50-60 miles out, so many STARS are useless, unless I specifically ask for one."** Radar Contact is program.** Years ago I tried Radar Contact.** IMO, it is much better than MSFS's controllers.** Do not say STARs are useless based on your RC flights and training so far."Again, I am only thinking in terms of how I fly FS9/FSX and the procedures I come across... so RC behaviour is certainly relevant to me and the type of plan I want to see in FSC."** Yes, you are in training, I know." I also hear people constantly moaning about how VATSIM refuse to accept many flightplans. I would "imagine"... that much of that is to do with STARS/Approaches etc. being used at the time, and the flow and amount of traffic."** You really need (IMO) to join VATSIM and learn real world procedures.** Until you are sure you know what you are talking about do not try to train new pilots on complicated procedures."But seriously... ##### with looking at my old posts - you hankering for a spot in Mi5 or something ? Get a life pal."** I do not know what you are talking about here Mi5.** If it is about "quoting" one of your past posts ......** People get quoted and quote others (including me) all the time.** what was wrong with what I quoted?** You do use STARs don't you?
<<<<<<<<<<< end quote <<<<<<<<<<<<<** Have you flown on-line with real controllers yet and filed flight plans with them?** You do not know what you are talking about.** Based on reading a few posts it is obvious that you are learning IFR procedures and how to fly (RC).** So, IMO, you should not instruct other pilots on what is correct (procedures/FMC use) until you actually know what ** you are talking about.

Best Regards,

From the guide to flightplanning from the VATSIM website:"...In the normal course of events a SID will be given to you when you have copied your clearance with Clearance or Ground or whichever controller is online. Because each runway has different Standard Departures, the contoller who gives you clearance will most likely tell you which SID you are to fly. After you copy your clearance you have the luxury of a little time before requesting startup or taxi to program that SID into your Flight Computer and program in your initial altitude, heading and speed into your autopilot. "So... you ain't gonna have much time to add it to FSC either !!!And, another post on the VATSIM website - "... Correct, at least thats what I do. If there is a flyin though at that airport or the airport you headed to, controllers may have a specific route and SID and STAR they want you to follow. In cases like that, they will simply tell you the new route and amend you FP... "Here's another:... "... You select your own based on active runways (sometimes), other fields operations (sometimes, see the charts) and on your overall direction of flight - in the US. In many other countries, controllers assign you your STAR/SID"As I said in my original - and getting tired to be honest - post, you cannot ALWAYS expect to be able to fly the exact SID and STAR of your choosing. I'm no expert and not a RW pilot, so I can only go by what I read and learn as I go along... so I think my original proposition was quite reaonable: filing a SID and STAR, entering in your FMC and onto an FSC flight plan, before flying, is likely - at some point - to leave you high and dry !!! This is why many SOPs for FMC useage etc., actually suggest that choosing STARS and approaches can often be left until you know for sure which you will use. In fact, in my ATR 72-500 FMC, I cannot re-enter a different STAR once activated - I have to restart the damn thing to make any significant changes. So, I am definitely better off waiting for the final STAR to be "confirmed" (ieI know that I will be flying it) - BEFORE I enter it into the FMC, or I may have to fly the resulting STAR by hand.
***** This is no longer about FSC ... it is more about what you need to know about IFR flights and procedures.** IMO, you should start a new post in the forum."From the guide to flightplanning from the VATSIM website:"** I see you are quoting other sources now ... good!""...In the normal course of events a SID will be given to you when you have copied your clearance with Clearance or Ground or whichever controller is online. Because each runway has different Standard Departures, the contoller who gives you clearance will most likely tell you which SID you are to fly. After you copy your clearance you have the luxury of a little time before requesting startup or taxi to program that SID into your Flight Computer and program in your initial altitude, heading and speed into your autopilot. """So... you ain't gonna have much time to add it to FSC either !!!""** You are wrong in your assumption here.** You have time to do everything.** You cannot depart until you are done."And, another post on the VATSIM website - "... Correct, at least thats what I do. If there is a flyin though at that airport or the airport you headed to, controllers may have a specific route and SID and STAR they want you to follow. In cases like that, they will simply tell you the new route and amend you FP... "** This is true, but it has nothing to do with what you file (route) at the gate!"Here's another:... "... You select your own based on active runways (sometimes), other fields operations (sometimes, see the charts) and on your overall direction of flight - in the US. In many other countries, controllers assign you your STAR/SID"** True again.** But it has nothing to do with what you file (route) at the gate!"As I said in my original - and getting tired to be honest - post, you cannot ALWAYS expect to be able to fly the exact SID and STAR of your choosing."** This is true ...** But it has nothing to do with what you file (route) at the gate!** You must file the route and it must be approved while you are at the gate/prior to departure.** ATC changes can be made anytime after that." I'm no expert and not a RW pilot, so I can only go by what I read and learn as I go along... so I think my original proposition was quite reaonable: filing a SID and STAR, entering in your FMC and onto an FSC flight plan, before flying, is likely - at some point - to leave you high and dry !!!** You can do whatever you want to do.** Just do not instruct other pilots to do it.** IFR flight (SID/STAR) are monitored from start to finish ..... you will not be left to leave you high and dry!"This is why many SOPs for FMC useage etc., actually suggest that choosing STARS and approaches can often be left until you know for sure which you will use."** Which SOPs?"In fact, in my ATR 72-500 FMC, I cannot re-enter a different STAR once activated - I have to restart the damn thing to make any significant changes."** This is a "problem" you have with the ATR.** It has nothing to do with the route you file with ATC prior to departure." So, I am definitely better off waiting for the final STAR to be "confirmed" (ieI know that I will be flying it) - BEFORE I enter it into the FMC, or I may have to fly the resulting STAR by hand. "** That is ok. You can do anything the way you want to.** BTW, who tells you, later in your flight, which STAR to use?

Best Regards,

** Have you actually flown on-line yet with real "people" controllers?"And how many pilots actually get their "intended" STAR ?"** Well, if not, then what do they get? And when do they get it.** If they do not file a STAR before departure how do they file their route?** Maybe you could go so far as to give an example of what you are talking about."Filing an intention to fly, is not the same as this is where I'm going...."** I have no idea where you are going or what you are taking about here!"Pilots of airliners will never activate a STAR in their FMC until around 50 miles out."** You are wrong about this.** There is nothing to activate ...that I know of.** what is this 50 mile thing?** STAR transitions / STARs start hundreds of miles from destination."Also, many STARS are runway specific (so depends on wind etc. (many aren't of course) - and many more still, have a common FAF, with hold, where everyone holds and awaits vectors."** So what?** Does this mean STARs are not filed?So, don't be too harsh on the program's inability to put the entire flight onto the flightplan automatically.** I was not harsh. ** I mentioned it was purely my opinion.** I seen on one of your earlier posts you said (using radar contact): "Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:44 PMWhy is RC going barmy at you ? Surely, asking for an IAP allows you to go where you want to ? They do for a SID after all.To be honest I haven't tried filing a FP witohut a STAR/SID (via FSC), so maybe they do ? "
Listen Matey.1. 99% of my original post was how to show both STARS and the Transition on your FSC plan, by using a manual workaround.I wrote one short sentence about FMC progrmaming, and not needing to put in your SIDS and STARS and transitions, before you fly.2. You are not using this progam in the 'real world' and as such, those 'procedures' are totally irrelevant. What matters is how thing happen in the flight sim world.3. The above "quotes" from the VATSIM training posts together with a lot of comments made by the likes of Captain Mike Ray, means that in practice when flight simming using VATSIM or Radar contact, you will often not get to fly the STAR you are hoping for - therefore it is not the end of the world if you cannot plot both the STAR and transition in the FSC plan before the flight. In fact, you often get your plan changed when you enter SIDS or STARS that they do not want you to use. Are you following thus far ????4. It is clear, that altohugh you may be a greatly experienced "pretend pilot", you have an inability to follow the simple logic of my argument... and you have blown-up a throw-away comment into something major.5. I have not tried to "instruct" anyone as to procedures... just offered a simple manual workaround for the inability of the FSC program to allow both Transitions and STARs on the flightplan.I use the words: "often", "not always", "sometimes" so as to demonstrate that things do not "always" go to plan... literally. Therefore - now listen carefully (!!!) - you don't really need to be able to include the STAR TOGETHER WITH the Transition... as "often" ................. you will not actually get to fly this precise planned route.In fact VATSIM do say it is not necessary to file a SID or STAR, as "these will often" be changed.So, note the intention of the words "often", "sometimes", "not always" etc. They are important words if you are to follow the argument, and not go off on a patronising ramble about how little I know.A throwaway comment about FMC SOPs, does not deserve such a personal assuallt - particularly when the rest of the (reasonably long) post pointed out a simple way to get the full route into the FSC plan - simply, a common-sense approach that no-one had actually pointed out !!!

4. It is clear, that altohugh you may be a greatly experienced "pretend pilot", you have an inability to follow the simple logic of my argument... and you have blown-up a throw-away comment into something major.
HelloIt may help you when posting in these forums to check the side panel of the user you are responding to, Had you done this you would have discovered that Vaughan does in fact hold a PPL-SEL since 1971. Also starting a post with "Listen Matey" is not very good forum manners.HTH

I don't think that the freshening up worth to buy it. I mean as an example you can't import from version to version any aircraft you manually add in v8.x. That's because you must uninstall any previous version.My conclusion is: keep FSC 8.xSalutiIgnacio :(

Ignacio aka Tanocapo

Also starting a post with "Listen Matey" is not very good forum manners.
Couldn't agree more!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Just stumbled across this thread which includes some interesting observations concerning FSC. My interest is that I have been comparing Plan-G v2 and FSC9 and asking myself the question is there anything about FSC9 that would make me part with the best part of $50 (AUD but these days much the same as USD) when I already have Plan-G which cost me zero $? One issue that perhaps someone can put me straight on is how do get a flightplan displayed in FSC and use the its features when you are navigating using an FS flightplan and FSX's internal navigating facilities or a third party GPS such the G1000 in the F1 Mustang or the RXP 430/530. With Plan-G this seems to be straight forward in that it will display an FSX flightplan but fom what I can tell this is not possible in FSC.ThanksBruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

It has been a while since I flew the F1 Mustang, but the RXP430/530 have no notion of an FSX flightplan. To use them with Flightsim Commander, I would create the flight plan in FSC, then enter the waypoints manually into the RXP gps. Since the FSC database is updateable (Navigraph) and the most recent Garmin database you can use in the RXP units is only about a year old, they go pretty well together.While FSC doesn't read a flight plan created in FSX (to my knowledge), it does export to the FSX format, so using it with FSX is simple. Just create the plan in FSC, save it, and load it in FSX.The main drawback of Plan-G is that it is based on the FSX database, so the approaches, intersections, and navaids often differ substantially from what you get with the Navigraph updates. Having said that, Plan-G is an excellent product if you mostly do VFR flight, or if you are happy with the FSX navigation database.