Sign in to follow this  
Rebel_Without_a_Clue

Multiple control cfgs..possible?

Tried searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.Sometimes I just want a quick go round with a simple joy stick.Sometimes I will want to take the time to set up my newly acquired yoke and throttle quadrant or a joystick / throttle quadrant configuration (depending on the plane).I have configured the controls for my joystick and it's buttons but would like to configure all those nifty little buttons,switches etc. on the CH Yoke but they are all different to my joystick.I'm afraid I'll end up overwriting my control cfg , then the joystick wont work as I want. :( Is there a way to create multiple configuration files?:( I figure what I could try doing is configuring the joystick then copying that XML file , rename it , creating a default XML file , configure for joystick/throttle quadrant , copy and rename it. Do the same for the yoke/quadrant combo then before I start the game , I could rename the controls.cfg to something else , rename the config file I want to use to controls.cfg and start.This seems like such a mickey moused procedure considering most games now allow different "profiles". I was wondering if there is a small utility or feature in MS FSX that would simplify this process.Txs

Don't know if I understand you ecaxtly (sorry, not my motherlanguage)You want to connect two different joysticks (depends of which you want to use today?)?There is a little checkbox in FSx menu settings "enable controllers" (top left)settingscontrolscalibra.jpgMaybe you can leave both joysticks plugged and switch on / off there the device you want?never tried that...

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.Sometimes I just want a quick go round with a simple joy stick.Sometimes I will want to take the time to set up my newly acquired yoke and throttle quadrant or a joystick / throttle quadrant configuration (depending on the plane).I have configured the controls for my joystick and it's buttons but would like to configure all those nifty little buttons,switches etc. on the CH Yoke but they are all different to my joystick.I'm afraid I'll end up overwriting my control cfg , then the joystick wont work as I want. :( Is there a way to create multiple configuration files?:( I figure what I could try doing is configuring the joystick then copying that XML file , rename it , creating a default XML file , configure for joystick/throttle quadrant , copy and rename it. Do the same for the yoke/quadrant combo then before I start the game , I could rename the controls.cfg to something else , rename the config file I want to use to controls.cfg and start.This seems like such a mickey moused procedure considering most games now allow different "profiles". I was wondering if there is a small utility or feature in MS FSX that would simplify this process.Txs
Same here - I'd like to use a different joystick and throttle when I fly fighters or helicopters. It may be possible to set up profiles if you have the registered version of FSUIPC. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back.Dale Edited by tanker

Dale

I do it the way you described using batch files. I have 3 standard.xml files - single.xml, double.xml and quad.xml. Depending on which I want to use I rtun a batch file that copies single.xml to standard.xml thus overwriting the old file but keeping my template intact. Takes a mouse click.There is another way but I think it's kludgy. You could set up several FSX.CFG files and change the CONTROLS section to point to the xml file you want. Then load FSX specifying the specific cfg file.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I found this after I figured out what search parameters to use in Google :( Of course I can't take credit for it .. and haven't tried it yet..but seems plausible.

rcbarend10-13-2006, 12:50 PMIf you are like me, and have a number of external controllers attached to your PC, of which you only use a subset when flying a specific type of aircraft, you may run into trouble when FS assigns (by default) the same axis-function to several external axis (because of "jittering", they may interfere which each other).Examples: If you change from a stick to a yoke, or if you use different assignments for your throttle quadrant axis for different types of aircraft.Now, you can solve that by changing the axis definition manually each time in the FSX Options-Controls menu, but you easily get fedup doing that :-)The same trick I use for FS9, also applies to FSX; just a bit different, since FSX no longer saves the controller settings in the FS9.cfg file, but in a seperate (XML) file.Allthough FSX has a new function to dynamically load/save a configuration, this ONLY applies to the Display Settings (guess why ...LOL) but NOT to the controller/keyboard settings.Surely there will be more solutions, but here's what I doNote: you can edit .cfg and .xml files simple with Notepad.Step-1:Connect all your controllers to your PC (gameport and/or USB), startup FSX and let FSX detect them (FSX will assign default axis/buttons according to the type of controller).Exit FSX.Step-2:In Windows Explorer, go to folder "..\Documents And Settings\'username'\Microsoft\FSX\ and copy the file "fsx.cfg" to the main FSX installation folder (default: "...\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"; rename this file to e.g. "FSX-Config1.cfg".Note: the first folder maybe ReadOnly/Hidden, so you mave have to set Windows Explorer to display ReadOnly/Hidden folders.Step-3:On your desktop, make a copy of the FSX shortcut and rename it to e.g. "FSX-Config1".Change the properties of this new shortcut (right mouse-click), and add to the 'target' path: /CFG:FSX-Config1.cfgSo it reads: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe" /CFG:FSX-Config1.cfgStep-4:Startup FSX via the new shortcut, goto to the menu Options/Controls and change all your controller axis/buttons/keys for your first setup.Exit FSX.FSX has now updated the new FSX-Config1.cfg file instead of the default FSX.cfg file, and all controller setup changes are stored in a file "Standard.xml" in folder "..\Documents And Settings\'username'\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\.If you open this Standard.xml, you will see pieces of code like<SimControls.Map><Name>Logitech WingMan Force USB{83B6EF70-9CEC-11DA-8001-444553540000}</Name><Axis><AxName>XAxis</AxName><Index>0</Index><AxEvent>AXIS_AILERONS_SET</AxEvent><AxScale>127</AxScale><AxNull>1</AxNull></Axis>........The equivalent definition in the FS9.cfg file would be:JOYSTICK_MAIN {83B6EF70-9CEC-11DA-8001-444553540000}AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_AILERONS_SETAXIS_SCALE_00=127AXIS_NULL_00=1Step-5:In folder "..\Documents And Settings\'username'\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\, rename file "Standard.xml" to e.g. "FSX-Config1.xml"Step-6:In folder "...\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\", open file "FSX-Config1.cfg" and search for the lineControls_Current=Standardand change it toControls_Current=FSX-Config1That's it.By repeating this process, you can define as many setups as you like.By starting FSX via the right shortcut, you determine which FSX.....cfg is used, and via the Controls_Current= definition in it, which controller/keyboard setup is loaded.Doing the above is at your own risk of course, but if done properly, it will work OKCheers, Rob Barendregt

IMO, a registered version of FSUIPC is the way to go. You can have multiple "profiles"that are aircraft dependent. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

IMO, a registered version of FSUIPC is the way to go. You can have multiple "profiles"that are aircraft dependent. Paul
I second that. I've used FSUIPC's controller profiles since they were first incorporated. It's a simple and convenient way to do exactly what you're talking about.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I don't think multiple fsuipc profiles suffice, as what's wanted is the ability to use two profiles for a single aircraft. I have used the referenced method multiple shortcuts that load different fsx.cfg files. One thing I do, is copy my modified controls "standard.xml" file into the main fsx folder, and set not only the controls_current but also controls_default. That's because at times fsx will reload settings from the default file and overwrite your mods. Copying (and renaming) your modified settings will prevent this.Something else you can do if you go the multiple shortcut route, is I got Pete Dowson to change fsuipc4 so that if you copy fsx.exe and rename the copy, fsuipc will use this and load a different version of the fsuipc.ini settings file.Something else, though, is that in fsuipc you can assign the same command to as many different buttons or axis as you want, as long as they don't give out spurious signals I think fsuipc will ignore them unless pushed/moved.scott s..

I don't think multiple fsuipc profiles suffice, as what's wanted is the ability to use two profiles for a single aircraft.
Since you cannot use both at the same time, the easiest way is to simply add another aircraft name (another [fltsim.n] section in the relevant Aircraft.CFG file) for the same aircraft, and associate that name with the second FSUIPC profile. then you merely need to select one of the two otherwise identical aircraft and FSUIPC will switch profiles automatically. Far quicker and easier, surely?RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Not familiar with FSUIPC but reading their site , it seems to me it is designed more for managing add ons than what I'm trying to accomplish.The couple of short cuts method described in the article I found seems the easiest. Name one "FSX - Joystick" and one "FSX-Yoke" and that's all you need.Haven't tried it yet but plan to shortly and will report back (unless someone else already has).Also figure that with this step :..In folder "...\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\", open file "FSX-Config1.cfg" and search for the lineControls_Current=Standardand change it toControls_Current=FSX-Config1you could create the two lines and simply comment out the one you don't want to use.A simple short cut to this file would open it in Notepad easily enough.