Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RossThomson

Should I continue?

Hi everyone, I am taking flying lessons and obviously want to be a commercial airliner pilot, and I'm not stupid, so no smart reply's back, yes? :( I currently have 13 hours in the PA-38 at EFC (Edinburgh Flying Club), The question I am asking is, due to the current circumstances of the recession and such, should I continue and waste money only to face unemployment or should I continue, if I should, can you explain why? And if I shouldn't then can you explain why aswell?Thanks alot guys! Hoping for a bunch of replys. :D

Hi everyone, I am taking flying lessons and obviously want to be a commercial airliner pilot, and I'm not stupid, so no smart reply's back, yes? :( I currently have 13 hours in the PA-38 at EFC (Edinburgh Flying Club), The question I am asking is, due to the current circumstances of the recession and such, should I continue and waste money only to face unemployment or should I continue, if I should, can you explain why? And if I shouldn't then can you explain why aswell?Thanks alot guys! Hoping for a bunch of replys. :D
Firstly, noone's saying you're stupid.Secondly, I wouldn't call chasing your dreams as wasting money. Thirdly, you should continue, learning to fly up to ATPL isn't done in a few weeks, but at least a year and a half, things can change in that period of time for the better, who knows?I hope my reply is not one of what you call 'smart replys'.Cheers!

Spend some time over at Pprune.org, or jetcareers,com to get a state of the hiring situation.Then pack some bags and get ready for a nice career in China, India or the Middle East :)

I am taking flying lessons and obviously want to be a commercial airliner pilot
No, it is not obvious. Many people take flying lessons and never intend to be airline pilots. If you came here to look for some guarantees as to how your career will develop - wrong place.

No, it is not obvious. Many people take flying lessons and never intend to be airline pilots. If you came here to look for some guarantees as to how your career will develop - wrong place.
Yes because there will be a shortfall in pilots in the next ten years but you will need to make sacrifices. I got as far as commercial and had to quit due to financial considerations. Save up some money over the next few years and get to a country with good weather namely US(florida) or Canada Ontario in Summer because learning here will be a lot cheaper then UK. best of luck.Sean Moore

Give the kid a break for heaven's sake. Is it always necessary to be so negative? He just wants some advice.Ross - how are you finding the Tomahawk? Lively little devil isn't it?Gerry

Ross, you're still quite young to be making career decisions yet I think. Before anyone becomes too critical of this statement, hear me out. My advice to you is to continue your flying lessons until you have your Private Pilot Licence (PPL). That's what we call it in Australia, so I'm not sure what the equivalent is in the UK. I'd recommend that you wait until you're a bit older (like closer to 18) before deciding on whether to commit yourself to the financial burden of attaining the necessary licences required for a commercial career as a pilot. In Australia I believe the cost is something like $90,000 (in Australian dollars), unless you're lucky enough to join a training program with a major airline (eg Jetstar is doing this) which will pay for your training on the proviso that you agree to stay with them for an agreed length of time.By the time you're around 18 years of age you'll have a better idea of your own financial position, whether you still want to follow this career path and the national/global financial situation as it relates to the aviation industry. The reason for this advice is twofold. Firstly, if you pull out of your training now because you think it is too much money to spend with no guarantee of a job at the end of your training, you may end up regretting that decision. This leads to my second point - by the time you're closer to 18, the aviation industry may be booming and there may be a desperate shortage of pilots which would create positive prospects for employment for you. In a nutshell, keep training and keep watching what happens in the aviation industry. Don't be afraid to follow your dreams but remember that a lot can happen in your life in the next 5 years. I hope this makes sense and I hope it doesn't discourage you in any way. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Ross, I would suggest you go have a look on pprune.org as John has said. Lots of valuable information on that site! As you have said, there is no guarantee of a job at the end of your training. It would be a good idea to have some sort of backup trade or skills in the event it doesn’t work out. Helps to pay for the training too!All the best!

Ross, at the risk of sounding like a cliche. Life is full of risk. The older you get the higher the stakes. I am almost 40 and spent the last 8 years in college and grad school only to realize what I was studying was not for me. I have now switched my focus and I am trying another career path that has significant risk and high probability of failure. My age and the fact that I have three children makes the stakes very high. Follow your dreams when you are young. Don't give up ever and don't let the economy stop you from doing anything. For those of us who have been around it is not the first time the economy has been tough and it won't be the last. I wished I had followed my heart when I was 18. Go for it!