Sign in to follow this  
Yoda967

The NGX Experience

No, no pictures. Sorry. Just a story.Flew from KLAS to KSAN this afternoon. We started from the executive terminal, sitting with the forward passenger door open for some time while I set up the FMC. We had ground power, ground air, and a ground air conditioning unit hooked up, but the door open on a scorching day in Las Vegas made it just plain hot in the forward part of the aircraft. We don't usually think of stuff like that in the sim.It took about ten or twelve minutes to taxi all the way across the field to the departure end of runway 28R, and with the engines running at barely above idle, the hot cabin only got hotter. Sure enough, climbing out, I got a master caution light. A quick scan of the overhead panel and there they were, two orange annunciators: duct overheat.It seems silly to refer to a checklist for this kind of thing. You turn the temperature down, right? But, to be on the safe side, I did refer to the checklist, and yes, that's the fix. Turn the temperature down and monitor the temps to make sure they go down. They did, after a while.Now, I have my NGX Failure Module set up for "Service Based Failures", which gives you mechanical reliability that's based on the actual airplane's Mean Time Between Failures, so I know that things can go wrong at any time. I checked the Failure page on the CDU, and to my surprise, this was not a programmed failure. It's just a normal part of the simulation.See, the temperature at KLAS when we took off was 39oC, so leaving the door open for a long time while we were on the ground didn't help the air conditioning situation in the cabin, and leaving the temperature controls set to AUTO apparently won't cut it during the Las Vegas summer.I'm pretty sure that my passengers were plenty happy to get themselves and their soggy clothes off the plane in San Diego. Next time, I'll make sure I pay closer attention.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Great story. Even flying the C150s outta here at 30C is a pain! I guess that's just another taste of how close the simulation can get to reality. Now I can't wait until the winter when the main passenger door won't open because it's been iced over!!

Erik L.

That level of detail sounds like so much fun!Is the flight attendant who yells at you to keep the window shades closed and airconditioning vents in full simulated? You know, on those super hot days. Tounge.gif

These are the kind of posts I love. We've seen plenty of screenshots and videos, but stories like this really make me excited for this plane. Thanks for sharing.

Noah Bryant

As someone said above - this is going to be a heap of fun as well as challenging. Going to be every bit worth the wait.

I realize the NGX (the sime version) wasn't build for this, but I'm hearing about all this uber realistic stuff. Is it possible to get in a go without worrying about the cabin temp? When I say get in and go I don't mean C172 firewall the throttles... I realize I need to program the FMS, etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I realize the NGX (the sime version) wasn't build for this, but I'm hearing about all this uber realistic stuff. Is it possible to get in a go without worrying about the cabin temp? When I say get in and go I don't mean C172 firewall the throttles... I realize I need to program the FMS, etc.
That's an interesting question, but PMDG's initiative is to make it as real as possible. I think that rather than avoiding these naturalistic failures, you take time to learn them! It just makes it that much more fun.

Im sure you can. Not only does pmdg make extremely realistic aircraft simulations, they realize that some people want to have a little trimmed off tbe edges. That being said, i would wager to say that pmdg will have an option to where failures wont ever happen.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Guest acezboy561

Whats better than pictures/videos? This. Thanks alot, shows how detailed this plane is!

Thank you! It's the small things like this that makes me really look forward to this bird :(