Sign in to follow this  
ahaka

2600k suddenly failed. First time I see processor failure.

I was using my computer (specs below) normally, when suddenly the power turned off. I couldn't power it up anymore. Something was clearly wrong. I started probing the components one by one. Changed the power supply, which didn't change anything. Tried another graphic card, which also didn't change anything. Then I went to get a new motherboard, as it seemed that it wouldn't turn on if the CPU EATX power cable was connected. After changing the motherboard, the power turns on, but the "CPU" LED on the motherboard lights up. I checked my processor installation again and everything was good, so I guess my 2600K just suddenly broke up on me! Now my question is, why do you guys think it failed? Was it too much overclock (the temperatures were always low and cooling was adequate)? Or could it be just bad luck? And what do you guys think, will it go in for a warranty after I've overclocked it to 4500Mhz? Going to get a new one soon... I would appreciate any input on this.

What was your CPU voltage?

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

It was 1.270, still in the yellow zone as per Asus BIOS. Have seen people have higher voltages than that. My RAM was 1600MHz and the voltage required by it is 1.65. Could this be too much?

I'm at 1.32 volts CPU with 1600mhz RAM at 1.65 volts. No problems.

Hi Guys, I just read in several forums that for Sandy Bridge the recommended DRAM voltage would be 1.50. So I'm now running my RAM at 1333 with that voltage being scared of damaging the CPU again. However I have not found any official specification from Intel yet as to what is the highest recommended DRAM voltage for the 2600k. Btw, does your CPU run constantly on the overclocked frequency (in Glenn's case 4.6Ghz) or does it use the turbo mode (so it tunes down the frequency when not using much of the CPU)? For some reason when I overclock, even if the turbo mode is selected on, it will always run at the overclock even with little or no load to the CPU.

Same thing happened to me. After replacing MB and other components it turned out to be the chip. Intel replaced it for me under warranty with few questions asked.

Steve Giblin

I feel really sorry, before taking any step further it is recommended that you give it to a give mechanic on your supervision. Because, we really can't help until we can physically know about your PC. The most common reason as per me is that any conducting pin of your cpu might have shot. It also happened to my earlier PC because of power cut, it always recommended to get a good quality UPS.

Ditto Torkermax, except for a few that I blew up. Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'll repeat something I said a while ago here:Overclock only if you are ready to exchange it. If you know the risk. People are always asking what are "safe voltages", "safe overclock" - answer: stock! Anything else is a risk, no matter how low or high.

I have never seen a CPU fail before, either in my machines, or in anyone else I know! Yours will be the first. Those numbers would not hurt it I should think. I would not go over 1.45 volts though. Kind regards,

I have never seen a CPU fail before, either in my machines, or in anyone else I know! Yours will be the first. Those numbers would not hurt it I should think. I would not go over 1.45 volts though. Kind regards,
Me neither. But I see some folks who have been pumping 1.50v into the chips since day one. *shudder

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Me neither. But I see some folks who have been pumping 1.50v into the chips since day one. *shudder
*Har har har* Skull.gif But I know the risk and am ready to accept it if it fails.