Sign in to follow this  
Holgi

How to reduce 4096 textures to 2048 ones?

Hi! Could someone past a working link to the direct d/l. Can´t seem to find a dirct d/l even ifI googled it. Thanks Edit: Hmmm...already had that program in my download folder....sorry guys Silly.gif / Leffe

All the links that I find by searching are broken. Does anyone have a working link please? Andy Lawton

Why not just change TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD in the cfg to 2048? It essentially has the same affect and you don't have to manually re size the textures.

One thing to remember is that if you change the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD in the cfg it's fine, but it will revert back to the default 1024 if any of the sliders are changed in the fsx control panel. Using the TML editor prevents this from happening.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

One thing to remember is that if you change the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD in the cfg it's fine, but it will revert back to the default 1024 if any of the sliders are changed in the fsx control panel. Using the TML editor prevents this from happening.
I've never used the TMLE, does it set the cfg to read only after it changes things or does it monitor the file for changes to the properties? If it does neither, you still have to worry about it being set back to 1024.Also, as a side note, setting the cfg to read only probably isn't the best to do either. FSX constantly is writing to the file to save different values, not just graphics settings.Best to set your sliders then set your texture load size and then leave the sliders alone.

Not sure the actual mechanics of the editor but once you set the resolution it remains that way no matter what sliders are set at. In other words, it will not revert back to the default 1024 unless it is changed within the editor.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Love that program! Although I did get the DDS plugin for PS CS5 and just run a recording to have it resize them for me. :D Cheers!
Nick, Is this the correct plugin (Nvidia) ... which I found today and downloaded??

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Resize to 50% texture.vc PMDG_NGX_Main_Panel.ddsPMDG_NGX_Main_Panel_Text.dds PMDG_NGX_VC_03.ddsPMDG_NGX_VC_OVHD01.ddsPMDG_NGX_VC_Radios.dds Liveriespmdg_737NGX_fuselage_1.ddspmdg_737NGX_fuselage_1_night2.ddspmdg_737NGX_fuselage_2.ddspmdg_737NGX_fuselage_2_night2.ddspmdg_737NGX_fuselage_3.ddspmdg_737NGX_tail_1.ddspmdg_737NGX_wingletnight.ddspmdg_737NGX_wings.ddspmdg_737NGX_wings_night.dds
I have definitely noticed a 8-10fps improvment just by doing these size reductions.[Default KSFO, Gate B28, Day, TrackIR, REX Weather, Before 24fps After 32fps]

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

When using the Photoshop DDS plugin.Can the original DDS with Alpha be loaded into Photoshop, resized then saved ... will it save the Alpha in the new size automatically?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Would be very nice if PMDG would provide lower res textures as an option, as they did with the J41..
Ryan said in another thread that different texture size sets will be part of SP1 and you will also be able to enable/disable mipmaps.

Richard Åsberg

Resize to 50% texture.vc PMDG_NGX_Main_Panel_Text.dds
I personally wouldn't recommend re-sizing the PMDG_NGX_Main_Panel_Text.dds as it's already a 1024 X 1024 and will blur the text writting on the VC main panel or re-sizing any of the VC textures that haxe Text in the file name for that matter if you want to have sharp lettering. Even on my 2GB system I left the Text files alone since they are already small files.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

When using the Photoshop DDS plugin.Can the original DDS with Alpha be loaded into Photoshop, resized then saved ... will it save the Alpha in the new size automatically?
Yes just load it in, resize and save. + Use the settings it presents you to.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Is there another link for Texture Max Load Editor? My Russian is not so good:-)

Ryan said in another thread that different texture size sets will be part of SP1 and you will also be able to enable/disable mipmaps.
Yes, this is the way i understand it. PMDG will have a very simplified method of selecting texture levels with the official SP1 release. All this work is great but if you guys can just do your one of two favorities then stop and wait for the new installer when SP1 is available - shouldn't be more than a few days. One check mark in a box and all the necessary texture files for a given liverery will be installed for you at the lower level if that is your choice. For those of you that would like to see if all this makes a difference with your setup without doing the work, you can download the Navy C40 repaint from Avsim http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=161643 and compare the performance to the PMDG colors version. I lowered all the main textures except the wing so you can see if you can tell the difference in load time and performance. Take a look at the file sizes of the individual texture files and you can see the lowered texture files are 25% the size of the 4096 versions. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .