Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badaboom

A2A Update

I know they won't let us down, these are the warbirds we've all been dreaming of having on our PCs. I can't wait for them to get that Mark V Spit out the door, and what's more, when they get their F-104 and the F-4 done, I'm probably never going to leave the house LOL Al

There really is something magic about the P-51D shape. It's those curves surely. Accusim P51-D and Tamiya's 1/32 - match made in heaven. And ahhhh, EN951 (RF-D) Mk Vb! An airframe close to my heart. Christmas coming early this year!

Guest jahman

I just love everything A2A Accu-Sim have released so far! Cheers, - jahman.

Guest jahman
Everything Accusim does is special. Glad these guys are out there working hard to churn out more planes. THe B-17 was just fantastic.
The Accu-Sim B-17 is terriffic: Flying it accorss the Pacific brings back all the WWII memories I never had. Big Grin.gif Cheers, - jahman.

I have a complaint here. I can't buy every sim I see LOL These are beautiful things. A real P-51 lives just down the road from me, Quick Silver at KLWB, Lewisburg WV. I have seen it make a high speed, low altitude pass over the area. Breathtaking indeed.

How they doing with the F4? That still going to happen?
Yup, but since they are making it 'Accusim', what they are doing is taking a similar approach to it as they have done with the Merlin Engine development, i.e. make the engine as a component which runs a sub routine outside of FS, which they can then tweak to represent different Merlin Engine variants including the Packard-built Merlins most Mustangs had, which will then slot into the various FS airframes, much like the real world in fact. This of course means that because they are also doing a revamp of their P-40, we'll probably get an Allison-engined early Mustang at some point. So the J79 engine is being developed first for their Starfighter, and then that will effectively be the test platform for the Phantom, which has two of the same engines, but because it uses the engine in a fairly unique way, in that it employs hot air from the engine blown over the wings to increase lift, it isn't just a simple 'slot two of them in' job to create it, although both the F-4 and the F-104 did have variable inlets for the engine, so some of the work will presumably cross over. Sadly that means we probably won't get a Rolls-Royce-engined F4 British Fleet Air Arm/RAF variant, or at least not any time soon, but there you go. Al

Three upcomig Warbirds from A2A
But why warbirds? Why don't they make civil planes instead? That is what FSX is meant for. Since you can't shoot things down in FSX I find it hard to see a point for military planes in FS.

They do, see their Boeing Stratocruiser and Piper Cub, and technically things like the Spitfire and B-17 are actually civilian aircraft these days, since they are no longer active military aircraft. By the way, you can shoot things down in FSX, with add-ons such as CS Weapon, and numerous missions of that nature. Al

But why warbirds? Why don't they make civil planes instead? That is what FSX is meant for. Since you can't shoot things down in FSX I find it hard to see a point for military planes in FS.
You also don't have real passengers to load up in an airliner but they are still fun to fly :) Also, there is a company making an addon that will allow you to destroy things in FSX.

They do, see their Boeing Stratocruiser and Piper Cub, and technically things like the Spitfire and B-17 are actually civilian aircraft these days, since they are no longer active military aircraft. By the way, you can shoot things down in FSX, with add-ons such as CS Weapon, and numerous missions of that nature. Al
I got there Cub. How and why are a Spitfire used as an civilian aircraft thses days?

How and why are a Spitfire used as an civilian aircraft thses days?
Never been to an airshow? It's also worth noting that the Mark 26B Supermarine Spitfire, which you can actually buy brand new today, has always been a civilian aircraft. Here it is if you have some money going spare and fancy one: http://www.supermari...t.com/About.htm Perfect if your garden is under threat of invasion from the Axis for some reason. Al

Ahh my friend, please don't discount the lump in the throats of some of us who can barely remember the wonderful sound of those machines when that sound meant business, when that sound meant danger and death and when that sound meant another youngster was doing his best to help us all live another day. For those of us with long memories, these good folks at A2A are providing the opportunity to experience something we honestly never believed would ever come our way. These aircraft might appear, for some, to be inappropriate but for others they represent the only opportunity we will ever have to "climb aboard" and get some sort of feel for what it was like to have such a beast literally strapped to our butts. Saunter up to that P-51D. Up on that wing and down in that seat, your shoulders almost touching the airplane. Close that cowl and look up along that long, long snout at that huge prop. Run through that checklist, wanting to pee just one more time before you fire her up. Feel her come alive with all the twitches, shimmies and roars of something both magnificant and unholy in the same instant. A2A, through its expertise and passion for producing quality aircraft of this period, offers us all a little slice of what it must have been like to take to the skies in these machines, concentrate on getting where we are supposed to get to when we are supposed to get there and then perform our assigned tasks. What must it have been like for those youngsters - some just out of high school! That's why I, for one, am thrilled for A2A and their willingness to not allow dreams like these - dreams that rest mostly with us "oldsters" - to remain close and vivid. Thanks for letting an old man ramble. John

The mustang looks amazing. It must be a blast to fly that plane low over the deck. It's the look and feel of flight that A2A is simulating, not the weapons. If you want simulated weapons, go get the DCS A10, it's that good. We make believe there are passengers behind that door, no reason we can't pretend bombs do their things when released.

I got there Cub. How and why are a Spitfire used as an civilian aircraft thses days?
This is one way Mustangs are used in General Aviation these days!!

Guest jahman
Ahh my friend, please don't discount the lump in the throats of some of us who can barely remember the wonderful sound of those machines when that sound meant business, when that sound meant danger and death and when that sound meant another youngster was doing his best to help us all live another day. For those of us with long memories, these good folks at A2A are providing the opportunity to experience something we honestly never believed would ever come our way. These aircraft might appear, for some, to be inappropriate but for others they represent the only opportunity we will ever have to "climb aboard" and get some sort of feel for what it was like to have such a beast literally strapped to our butts. Saunter up to that P-51D. Up on that wing and down in that seat, your shoulders almost touching the airplane. Close that cowl and look up along that long, long snout at that huge prop. Run through that checklist, wanting to pee just one more time before you fire her up. Feel her come alive with all the twitches, shimmies and roars of something both magnificant and unholy in the same instant. A2A, through its expertise and passion for producing quality aircraft of this period, offers us all a little slice of what it must have been like to take to the skies in these machines, concentrate on getting where we are supposed to get to when we are supposed to get there and then perform our assigned tasks. What must it have been like for those youngsters - some just out of high school! That's why I, for one, am thrilled for A2A and their willingness to not allow dreams like these - dreams that rest mostly with us "oldsters" - to remain close and vivid. Thanks for letting an old man ramble. John
Fly the B-17 home after the War, RODN to KLAX via a single refueling stop at PMDY. See if you can understand the engines and range charts. Let the hours go by doing pretty much nothing else. The sun sets behind you and everything goes dark as she drones into the night over the Pacific. Yoiu turn-on the UV cockpit likt and the gauge needles and card markings light up with green phosphorescence (a true first in the history of FS). Suddenly a glimmer, then the full moon looking up over the horizon, liquid silver streaking towards you. How's the weather? Are you keeping tabs on your fuel and range calculations? Is your star navigation good enought to feed you into he range of the PMDY NDB so you can land "dry" instead of "wet" and then sink two thousand fathoms down to the bottom? After a good night's rest, are up to repeating the experience to get you from PMDY on to KLAX? Man, let me tell you, after you do a flight like this (38 hrs. total, bless that Sperry C-1 Autopilot!) you will feel like you really did fly this beautiful aircraft accorss the Pacific. Let the engines drone along into the night... See:RODN - PMDY - KLAX Route,FSX Bubble Sextant (FS9, but works just fine with FSX)Operating the B-17's Sperry C-1 AutopilotLovely
Cheers, - jahman.

Yup, and that does look good; it makes all the other FS F-104s out there are out there look very poor in comparison. Hopefully they are getting the engine sorted, I want to hear that 'mad moose howl' you get when you throttle it up! Al

Guest jahman

Since A2A is doing vintage military jets, would an Accu-Sim SR-71 be too much to ask? The AlphaSim SR is very nice, but also very basic, so I would love a version of the SR-71 with the attention to detail and systems similar to the A-10 Warthog as implemented by DCS. Cheers, - jahman.

I should think an SR-71 would probably still have stuff on it that was classified, so it would be kind of hard to do a completely accurate version of it. Al

Guest jahman
I should think an SR-71 would probably still have stuff on it that was classified, so it would be kind of hard to do a completely accurate version of it. Al
Yes, but you could still fully implement electrical, hydraulic and navigational (Astro-INS) systems. And even if spike control isn't 100% accurate (DAFICS - Digital Automatic Flight and Inlet Control System, with true inlet unstarts simulated), it still would be better than nothing. Cheers, - jahman.

I don't think A2A would see it that way. AccuSim tends to be largely about engines. I'd like a realistic SR-71 myself, though! Al