Sign in to follow this  
FSMP

MULTICREW - Myth or reality ?

Whew.gif I did actually mean Shared Cockpit, having flown that on Multi-Player environment, I should know the difference.... What I meant to say is, which was only meant to be a joke, is we should start seeing threads that say what works in single play flight, doesn't work in shared cockpit. btw, I am rather intrigued by the 727NGX you mention LOL.gif Cheers!!

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

Whew.gif I did actually mean Shared Cockpit, having flown that on Multi-Player environment, I should know the difference.... What I meant to say is, which was only meant to be a joke, is we should start seeing threads that say what works in single play flight, doesn't work in shared cockpit. btw, I am rather intrigued by the 727NGX you mention LOL.gif Cheers!!
I think it is highly unlikey we will start seeing threads like that.I feel confident that that PMDG will have it working correctly before they release it. BTW: Whats a 727NGX ??? LMAO.gif

I'm interested how they would implement it. The best solution it sounds is also the most work intensive - basically writing their own multicrew client running alongside FSX. This brings a host of things though - would one be able to Multicrew and fly on VATSIM/IVAO? Additional system requirements for the Host PC etc? Lag issues? I'd be awesome, but I wouldn't hold me breath guys.

I'm interested how they would implement it. The best solution it sounds is also the most work intensive - basically writing their own multicrew client running alongside FSX. This brings a host of things though - would one be able to Multicrew and fly on VATSIM/IVAO? Additional system requirements for the Host PC etc? Lag issues? I'd be awesome, but I wouldn't hold me breath guys.
Leonardo's Maddog have multicrew since 2008 ... maybe even earlier. It's really easy to set up. Just input the host's external IP address in the Manager before starting fsx; when in FSX click connect to host and voilà; 2 guys; same cockpit. It uses simconnect to sync the gauges and it works really really well on vatsim. No lag last time I flew and we both had ASE running and even the weather was in sync, it was really great. It's been said multiple times from PMDGs that they were going to include it and Tabs said it was going to be in a service pack but we'd really like to get an honest answer. Eric B

Cockpit sharing +1 As long as I don't have to share my pee-bottle (for long flights) with anyone :) Bert Van Bulck

I'm interested how they would implement it. The best solution it sounds is also the most work intensive - basically writing their own multicrew client running alongside FSX.
Exactly. There is no other way to share cockpits of that complexity using custom gauges and whatnot. FSX built sharing is very limited. Although the term "external client" may not be the most proper. The maddog for example does not need any external software when it is running. The same DLL that flies the plane takes care of cockpit sharing over TCP/IP.
This brings a host of things though - would one be able to Multicrew and fly on VATSIM/IVAO? Additional system requirements for the Host PC etc? Lag issues?
No addidtional system requirements afaik. It is essentially just values synchronizing between the two stations.VATSIM/IVAO is bit trickier. I have flown number of times with a friend in the same cockpit of the MD80 online @ IVAO. The thing is that IVAO does not like 2 pilots with same call-signs to sit on top of each other on the radar. One workaround is only the pilot who will do the radio communications to be online and/or the pilot flying to be connected as observer. I have no idea how it is on VATSIM but I would imagine something similar.

With SP1 hopefully "Very" close. Can someone from PMDG please comment on the MultiCrew Feature? Is it still being planned for an SP in the future, or has it been scrapped? JB

With SP1 hopefully "Very" close. Can someone from PMDG please comment on the MultiCrew Feature? Is it still being planned for an SP in the future, or has it been scrapped? JB
Why don't U guys just use de search function...Asking the SAME question OVER and OVER AGAIN... The answer to your Q, using the search function : http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2025233Took me 5 seconds at most.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Exactly. There is no other way to share cockpits of that complexity using custom gauges and whatnot. FSX built sharing is very limited.
FSX fully support sharing CUSTOM gauges. Just as you have to write your own Custom Gauges, you also have to include in that Gauge, the ability to share that Gauge over the FSX MP system. Unfortunatly, the information to write the sharing code was missing from the SDK, but was later released by Microsoft,(ref Susan's Blog) FSX's Sharing is quite Un-Limited- you just have to know how to program the sharing. What IS limited, are access to read and control some of FSX's internal modeling of aircraft systems, resulting in the need to write one's own systems simulation of certain aircraft systems, But since most advanced addon aircraft do this in any case, it's really not an issue. For Example, RealAir Simulations Duke Turbine has some "Custom Guages", and these are programmed to share 100% over Shared Cockpit. Also, those Microsoft Simulated systems that do not provide the necessary control access to allow Shared Cockpit sharing, were rewritten, and the re-written code was designed to include Shared Cockpit support.(ie Pressurization) Whether an addon developer chooses to learn to use the included FSX shared cockpit system, or write their own, is of course up to them. At the end of the day, it makes very little difference to the end user, provided that whatever system is used, is programmed correctly, and works without imposing addition complication to the user.
Leonardo's Maddog have multicrew since 2008 ... maybe even earlier. It's really easy to set up. Just input the host's external IP address in the Manager before starting fsx; when in FSX click connect to host and voilà; 2 guys; same cockpit.
Sounds like a nice simple interface for the user, but there is a significant amount of work going on under the hood.Simconnect applications do not write themselves, and running simconnect, or any other application over the Internet adds even more complexity, to ensure reliable operation. If a later PMDG 737NGX SP, does include the ability to share the cockpit of the PMDG 737NGX, then I would expect it to be implimented with PMDG's meticilous attention to detail and realism. Personally, I hope PMDG does go the route of making their own shared cockpit solution ( Multi-crew ?), and provide the alility for Multiple addition pilots to share a given cockpit -- a very exciting enhasement over FSX's "Shared Cockpit" that only allows 2 pilots in the Cockpit. Note: Lockheed's Prepar3d allows more that 2 to share a cockpit.

Note: Lockheed's Prepar3d allows more that 2 to share a cockpit.
That's very interesting. Angel.gifVery nice post BTW.

That's very interesting. Angel.gifVery nice post BTW.
Thanks, ...... I try to share Whistle.gifBTW: One of my current project is to determine if it is possible to extend FSX's shared cockpit past it's current limit of 2 in the cockpit.

Why don't U guys just use de search function...Asking the SAME question OVER and OVER AGAIN... The answer to your Q, using the search function : http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2025233Took me 5 seconds at most.
Why don't you Bugger off Epikk. I serached and found that 3 month old post. It would be nice to have some more recent info on the subject, which is why I asked. It always amazes me how people have nothing better to do than play wannabee moderator on this forum. And FYI, I'm gonna keep asking every few weeks until I get an answer, as multicrew is one of deciding factors on if I spend more money on different versions of the PMDG NGX. I can live without the 600/700, the BBJ or the 900er, but to help fund something like Multicrew for a complex addon like the NGX is right up my alley. JB

It always amazes me how people have nothing better to do than play wannabee moderator on this forum.
Lol, okey.
And FYI, I'm gonna keep asking every few weeks until I get an answer, as multicrew is one of deciding factors on if I spend more money on different versions of the PMDG NGX. I can live without the 600/700, the BBJ or the 900er, but to help fund something like Multicrew for a complex addon like the NGX is right up my alley.
Suit yourself then JB. Let's hope U'll get an (new/updated) answer then... Yawn.gif

Some time ago there was mention that the PMDG 737NGX's Cockpit would be made "SHARABLE" with a proprietory system from PMDG called MultiCrew. Is this still a reality, and is it planned for release at any time in the known future , or has it been determined that this functionality is not possible with the 737, ? An update on MULTICREW from PMDG would be appreciated, for those excited about its potential for realistic Pilot / Co-Pilot operation.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.