Sign in to follow this  
bruno_pmdg

PMDG 737 NGX RADAR METEOROLOGICO + SP1

There's a red thingy, heading toward the green thingy... I think we're the green thingy... Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Reality XP is selling weather radar for 30$, not that cheap! It probably (most definitely) can't be used in NGX but you can't just say weather radar is not realistic bla bla bla and therefore was not included in NGX. Would you than say RXP is ripping people off or something?

Reality XP is selling weather radar for 30$, not that cheap! It probably (most definitely) can't be used in NGX but you can't just say weather radar is not realistic bla bla bla and therefore was not included in NGX. Would you than say RXP is ripping people off or something?
It's not realistic at all. It doesn't and can't detect or depict precipitation which is the whole reason for having it. The best any of them can do is showing cloud positions & those are irrelevant.

We're talking about flightsim here... FSX has many many many limitations. If you wouldn't include anything that can't be simulated 100% realistically than you would have very little.I think that weather radar was probably not included because of performance reasons and I'm cool with that. The thing about it not being realistic is, for me, just an excuse.

We're talking about flightsim here... FSX has many many many limitations. If you wouldn't include anything that can't be simulated 100% realistically than you would have very little.I think that weather radar was probably not included because of performance reasons and I'm cool with that. The thing about it not being realistic is, for me, just an excuse.
It's a matter of not being even 10% realistic, or even 5%, not 100%.Edit: imagine you're using a weater radar & it shows a big red blob that spans over your destination and alternate, so you have to either land way off course or return to your departure airport. Ok that's fine. Land the plane, reload it at your destination and you see nothing but an overcast sky. No rain, no snow, no reason for that spoiled flight & time wasted looking for new approach plates for some other airport... Doing all that online would also look pretty foolish as the controllers will have no idea why you departed from a prefiled & approved flight plan.

So, would you say RealityXP is ripping people off by selling weather radar for 30$?
If the customers are satisfied with the product then no, they're not getting ripped off.

About the only way to get any sort of weather Radar in FSX, is to collect METARS and WINDS ALOFT from surrounding airports, and model the weather to be displayed, based on that information. Not idea, and a lot of work to develop --- decoding FSX's Simconnect "Enhansed" metar data is not a trivial exercise !! If you REALLY want a weather radar, you have the choice of a few options, but don't expect them to integrate into the 737's VC.

If I'm in a rainstorm, moving at 250kts, and the "rain bubble" is following me, FSX has to know where rain is SUPPOSED to be. Even if it's not currently rendered the data had to exist on where rain is supposed to be. Otherwise how does FSX know to draw the "rain bubble" when I enter an area with measurable precipitation?I don't care one way or the other if it's modeled. It'd be great to have but if it isnt feasible for them to work out fine. I'm not the kind of person who beats the burned ashes of a long dead horse in any thread possible. I just don't believe the technical limitations being listed here. The data FSX might contain on that percipitation might be limited and not possible to accurately model weather radar on but there has to be some sort of data on rain within the sim environment beyond my immediate location.

That's all assuming FSX keeps up with weather anywhere except where you currently are. It probably doesn't understand "is it raining at KDFW?" at all, but rather the simple "is it raining right here?" If you set a simple rainy weather theme, then rain=trueIf you set real-world weather, then every so often it checks weather at your location (wherever you are). If there's no rain when it checks then it sets rain=false. It never knows anything more than "is it raining right here?" That's a little oversimplified, but a good nutshell explanation of why a program can't read the weather inside FSX. Now IF an addon downloaded it's own weather information & injected it into the sim that could work, but as an aircraft developer, there's no way PMDG could program a built in radar to be compatible with every weather addon out there, displaying their raw weather data ingame (assuming the addon has enough data at any given time to cover a map). So a realistic built-in WXR still isn't possible.

The Reality radar works extremely well, so well in fact that when I was creating accident reconstruction vidoes for a recurrent training company, I used it extensivly. As someone said, PMDG's position is an excuse, not a reason. they already added plenty of other 'non-realistic' features to the 737.

Jay

So, would you say RealityXP is ripping people off by selling weather radar for 30$?
Pretty much the only thing RealityXP does is rip people off. The wx radar, the ludicrous costs for "premium" gauges and license so two gauges can be linked. The fact the top product (which I do own and enjoy btw) is nothing more than garmin's training software ported over into FSX, makes updating the navdata extremly dificult to do.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Pretty much the only thing RealityXP does is rip people off. The wx radar, the ludicrous costs for "premium" gauges and license so two gauges can be linked. The fact the top product (which I do own and enjoy btw) is nothing more than garmin's training software ported over into FSX, makes updating the navdata extremly dificult to do.
Well if it's so simple to port a Win32 software to a FSX gauge in a VC why don't you do it and sell the result for 50% of the price, you'll be rich ! Fact is their 530/430 is the best especially compared to the others 430/530 that comes with payware airplanes (ex. Carenado). Somehow I'm running 2011/09 Airac so it's not really difficult to update, PM me if you need help. Also the Garmin airac is 100% Complete; the Navigraph database are pretty good but missing 75% of the approaches especially at small airports. On topic, I believe it would be possible to make a decent weather radar if PMDG would work with ActiveSky to take the data from ASE's DB. Eric B