Sign in to follow this  
etheris

Microsoft FLIGHT in the wrong direction?

Talking of Grammer, I am curious why Alain refers to Flight as a 'him' (''His Money''). Despite his palpable skepticism about this product, I can't help feeling there is a bit of underlying 'Father and Son' bonding going on. He might emerge as Flight's biggest fan yet.
Sorry, I should have called Flight a she, I am a big BIG fan of Flight, what I am saying is if we expect Flight to have all the eye candy we want MS will need a lot more time to get there and keep in mind that they started with the same engine (I know it's an old story but a true one), we saw almost nothing from MS as far as fps or how the sim. behave, does it use all the core you can have in your machine, DX10 or DX11, what about memory usage or multithreading, will Flight be able to use the full potential of SLI?To many questions with not enough answers.PS: I'll post more fishing pics just for you now that I know how big of a fan you are....Star.gif

PS: I'll post more fishing pics just for you now that I know how big of a fan you are....Star.gif
Actually, that was what I was after. Glad you took the hint !!

Talking of Grammer, I am curious why Alain refers to Flight as a 'him' (''His Money''). Despite his palpable skepticism about this product, I can't help feeling there is a bit of underlying 'Father and Son' bonding going on. He might emerge as Flight's biggest fan yet.
LOL laugh.png
Critical is way different than unrealistic. Have you seen the new shots with roads and auto-gen and ground details and the night shot?
Yes I've seen those new shots, do you really find them impressive? the roads and autogen are nothing more than what we have had in previous versions, biggest difference is there is more of them, still doesn't hide the fact they they look like cardboard cut-outs. If you can get excited about how many textured boxes can be fitted into one scene then more power to you. To me it looks basic, unpolished and dated. Of course if you enjoyed X-plane 9 your views will be different. I'm not being unrealistic; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not trying to bash the talents of the X-plane devs, standing by itself it is a great product, it's just when you put it next to other current generation titles you see how far behind it is visually. Just my opinion.

Did that Fsau guy see the videos of XPX?
Are ye guys in a special club over at xplane or something ?New members with no names coming out of the walls. :(

MS Flight's refusal to allow VATSIM to integrate, 3rd party development, and various other kicks to the nuts made me take the plunge and get Xplane. I'm saddened that I hadn't tried it before now. As to being a new member, I've been a longtime AVSIM member, just not on the forums. This is the first time I've ever felt I had to voice my displeasure at flightsim./VATCAN S3/Member of the Original iFDG/Real-Life Tin-Pusher/I once flew an AA-5A, it was glorious.

Somehow, I told you so just doesn't cut it.
The lemmings were not buying: sad really for, they will forge ahead following the next Pied Piper.Props to the OP. Edited by eSimmer

I get the same feeling looking at the Microsoft Flight material; it just doesn't do a thing for me, yet others are drooling over their keyboards.
Mircosoft aren't stupid. Those who demand realism and realistic simulations and only want to use planesed design to the standard of PMDG 737NGX, and A2A Accusim, and ConcordeX, are a niche, a minority. The majority of the market belong to the instant gratitifcation type, who are happy with pretty liveries and lovely graphics.If you consider film and television, 90% of stuff produced is the same kind of crap. Low budget, quick to make rubbish such as reality shows and talk shows etc - very little quality. But quality does happen - we do get the occasional good film or TV series that was the result of someone's inspiration, rather than a popcorn market money spinner. But in and compuer games, it seems that even rarer these days that a good product is released. There's almost no interest by publishers in proper simulations, and it really annoys me that the most produced games are violence orientated.Although X-plane has its perculiarites and problems, at least it is produced by a man with a passion for what he does, and has a good user base of simulation enthusiasts.

Mircosoft aren't stupid. Those who demand realism and realistic simulations and only want to use planesed design to the standard of PMDG 737NGX, and A2A Accusim, and ConcordeX, are a niche, a minority. The majority of the market belong to the instant gratitifcation type, who are happy with pretty liveries and lovely graphics.If you consider film and television, 90% of stuff produced is the same kind of crap. Low budget, quick to make rubbish such as reality shows and talk shows etc - very little quality. But quality does happen - we do get the occasional good film or TV series that was the result of someone's inspiration, rather than a popcorn market money spinner. But in and compuer games, it seems that even rarer these days that a good product is released. There's almost no interest by publishers in proper simulations, and it really annoys me that the most produced games are violence orientated.Although X-plane has its perculiarites and problems, at least it is produced by a man with a passion for what he does, and has a good user base of simulation enthusiasts.
I very much doubt that they will get mainstream interested in Flight. I mean, who the hell wants to fly with small planes around the skies of Hawaii collecting some points? Its not entertaining to mainstream like war bird simulator where you can shoot other planes is. I believe that most of people that use FSX/FS9 today have downloaded some third party addons for it. Majority of those who havent just bought it long time ago, played a little, got bored and forgot it. Why would those people then say interested in Flight?

Basically I see it like this: it's not a popular game or simulator any more. Nor it's going to become. As my previous poster said, noone is going to be interested in what Microsoft is offering.Flight Simulator was popular as long as there was no other offering out there - now with first person shooters swarming the market, WoW, and all other wonderful games, who would want to fly around - only those really interested into flight. And the majority of those is here.And now they even killed the basic source of the income, those who would have gotten it, us.

I very much doubt that they will get mainstream interested in Flight. I mean, who the hell wants to fly with small planes around the skies of Hawaii collecting some points? Its not entertaining to mainstream like war bird simulator where you can shoot other planes is.
That's how Flight looks now, and I agree, that's not much fun. But when its released it may well look different. You never know. For example, MS might drop the add-on / dlc restrictions that it is trying to impose on 3rd party developers. Also we don't know how flexible it is. It might be able to work very well with modules and other programmes similar to ASE, and that means custome built models are possible, like A2A's Accusim stuff or PMDG type quality. However, I share you're skepticism. It will be an interesting year in Flight Simulator Development, and by December I reckong we'll have a pretty good idea where things are going.

I was heart broken when I heard that Microsoft canned the ACES team back during the last recession / crash of 2008.
I doubt the sacking of aces had anything to do with the recession. MS is swimming in cash, they just did not need the aces team anymore since they were not going to make FS games.. They want to make X-box games The combined salaries of the aces team is a drop of water in the ocean to MSBTW I think we are still in a recession, Maybe the stock market has gotten a bit better but the average joe is still bumming Edited by mikea76

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

As for modding Flight, if they said no SDK, I'm sure there are other ways to mod it. It's not like Microsoft would purposely go to the effort to make modding the game impossible. I don't think you need the SDK to put in the enbseries mod. For example, I know one such company that took out the developers log (modding console), and then put it back in, but made sure none of the commands work, so this means no modding. That's cold.

As for modding Flight, if they said no SDK, I'm sure there are other ways to mod it. It's not like Microsoft would purposely go to the effort to make modding the game impossible. I don't think you need the SDK to put in the enbseries mod. For example, I know one such company that took out the developers log (modding console), and then put it back in, but made sure none of the commands work, so this means no modding. That's cold.
You can't do that on the long run especially not with big companies. Microsoft would sue them before they could say addon.

Trust me. It broke my heart a LOT more then it broke yours! (I lost my job that day!)Ultimatly nobody can really tell what Flight will be like from the handfull of promo video's and screenshots, but I have faith. If you read the postings from the MS news and FAQ they state over and over and OVER that the removal of the word "simulator" was just a removal of the word, and not a removal of the FEATURE. I have faith in that crew, and will look forward to trying the demo. Till then, everything is just rampant speculation.
similiar here, I have hope too as I just tried to express in another post here. I just wonder why the let us go through this mess if they know better already now. why don't they put out a strategy and e.g. tell already now that the will offer what I called a simulation package? then all these speculations would - to some extent - be over. well, maybe they want to make a biiig surprise? we'll see hopefully soon

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.