Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Excessive ground effect on landing

Well, I'm scratching my head here guys - I did a full uninstall/reinstall, then SP1, started from a fresh .flt file and I'm seeing absolutely no change at all in the exaggerated floating tendency whatsoever. I just did a full uninstall now and I think I'll get more enjoyment from the extra hard drive space than anything else, ha. Glad you all have been successful with your own personal endeavors though!. I think I stick to flying the A2A planes on the desktop sim.
How about flaring less? rolleyes.gif

How about flaring less? rolleyes.gif
If only things were that easy..... :) Again, I'm seeing absolutely no difference in the floating tendency with SP1. I have no idea why others here have a completely different experience with SP1 than me, but oh well. I see close behavior to the FCOM only if I reduce calculated Vref by -10 knots. I would conjecture that PMDG is still using the wrong airspeed charts for their flight model as was previously discussed in eariler threads on this forum.I really have no desire to use the NGX further unless a third party is able to improve the flight model. That's not too likely to happen though.

What happened to the "within 5% of the actual Boeing aircraft performance charts, including single-engine operations.."Eye-candy means nothing if flight dynamics is way off during such a crucial phase of the flight.
Get the QRH out and start comparing... Then apologise.******************************************************************************Bob (Scott)In the RTM version one digit in the flap lift section of the -800 moved left. Instead of 9.998 (or whatever it was) it became 0.998. Way too much flap lift. Sometime after HF4 I just fine tuned again the whole thing.PS. Table 400...Big discussions with Ron (RIP). Not ground effect as we understand it.

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

If only things were that easy.....
It is that easy. Pull back too much in the flare and you head skyward again. That's true for a Cessna or a 737. You're struggling simply because flying a good landing is hard and the NGX is one of the few sims that captures this.

i flare at 30 feet and hold ensuring around 100 ft PM and contact the runway firmly, definently dont hold off like you would in something lighter, fly it to the runway then break the decent gently and hold 2.5 degrees i think, works fine for me. Make sure you are actually at idle thrust in other words make sure your throttles are calibrated correctly. I only botch it if I flare to hard or am at the incorrect speed over the threshold

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I really have no desire to use the NGX further unless a third party is able to improve the flight model. That's not too likely to happen though.
Mike, with so many individuals not having a problem, and you are, and the NGX on the numbers, what does that tell you?Either there's a weird issue with your system, or your landing technique is fubar.Given your stubbornness [no offence meant] in regard to the flare, I suspect the latter.Power back and simultaneously flare at 30 feet...promptly! Are you trying to pre-flare, if so don't.? Flare and power back should be simultaneous. Sometimes in the VC, due to the magnification, it can look as if the runway is racing toward you, and encourage a flare that is too early and too excessive. Resist the temptation.Once more, use the HUD. Flare so that the flightpath vector is closer to horizon line on the HUD, but not too close, just a couple of degrees closer. Boeing landings are generally firm. Provide us with video evidence if you like, and we'll have a look.

One thing I have learnt with the NGX is that I have to re-learn the landing technique... This seems to be so close in handling to its real world counterpart that you need to learn how to land it properly...Do it right every time and you will have great landings every time, do it wrong, and it will bite, you will balloon, you may bounce (done that a couple of times now...)And remember that the different variants require slightly different techniques, because of the different approach speeds... the difference bwetween the 600 and 900 is amazing...Andrew

What you also can do is to make an autoland and watch carefully what the A/P does. You can use instant reply to evaluate in internal and external view.Bert Van Bulck

One thing I have learnt with the NGX is that I have to re-learn the landing technique... This seems to be so close in handling to its real world counterpart that you need to learn how to land it properly...Do it right every time and you will have great landings every time, do it wrong, and it will bite, you will balloon, you may bounce (done that a couple of times now...)And remember that the different variants require slightly different techniques, because of the different approach speeds... the difference bwetween the 600 and 900 is amazing...Andrew
We all come from previous planes of whatever manufacturer and the landing final phase is quite different on the new 737 NGX.Of course everybody has to master it a bit being it really new to us, I just wonder why all the previous planes modeled it in a different way or why the NGX modeled it that way.I tend to give NGX all the reasons but real pilots state that landing manually in the reality is somehow easier, when the weather is fine.

True...Perhaps other developers haven't had the insight with the real world manufacturer to nail certain aspects of the flight envelope. The landing is a critical phase of flight, the aircraft is normally in a flaps 30 or 40 configuration, gear down, low speed... getting the behaviour right is probably very difficult in terms of software engineering...Perhaps the NGX is one of the first to get it right, and only those who fly the aircraft in the real world can confirm this...Sticking my neck out here, as my flying experience in the real world amounts to less than 10 hours', it has been said that real world flying is often easier than in a sim, because of the increased spatial awareness... Not that everyone CAN fly, but I would go so far as to say that anyone who can fly a sim well could fly the real plane too...Perhaps I am talking nonsense... :) Who knows... who cares even...I just know that I am enjoying the NGX and the exchange here on the forum!Andrew

Sticking my neck out here, as my flying experience in the real world amounts to less than 10 hours', it has been said that real world flying is often easier than in a sim, because of the increased spatial awareness...
.. and you can just FEEL everything. Including the rebellion in your stomach!I think you're right. I've been struggling to land the 737 consistently well. I have no doubt it's down to MY technique, or lack of. But when I do get it right I feel quite chuffed.Ian

I agree totally... my !'**#d up landings are 100% down my to my (LACK OF) technique... Getting there...I remind myself that the RW crew are putting these down on the ground up to 5 times a day depending on their rosters no doubt... I can be lucky to get one flight in per day...Andrew

Perhaps I am talking nonsense... :) Who knows... who cares even...I just know that I am enjoying the NGX and the exchange here on the forum!Andrew
LOLThat's what everyone of us does here, I guess. A mix of tech and funny posts. Your post was definitely on the spot IMO so now time for some nonsense :(

I watched a charter 737-800 come into Berlin Tegel a little hot... he took 2/3 of the runway to touch down, floating like a feather all the way bleeding off the excessive speed...Get the speeds and pitch right, and you will touch down in the zone...Andrew