Sign in to follow this  
cenkcnk

Cera Sim Closed

Bummer to see them go.. :( They make some of the most realistic helos I fly..-Damien

Yup, another developer who didn't budget for piracy (it's a fact of life) in their business model, made the niche market product rather easy to pirate (when I bought the 222 and 412 at SimMarket, just got the download and a text key), didn't get the returns they expected, so decided to blame it on pirates rather than a poor business model/practices.Yes, pirates suck, but your statement is spot on. Many other niche markets still in business (doing well too).
How should it have changed its business in order to counteract thev effects of piracy on its revenue? Don't say increase prices because that would cause its revenue to drop too.

How should it have changed its business in order to counteract thev effects of piracy on its revenue? Don't say increase prices because that would cause its revenue to drop too.
Activation would be a good start.

And when the pirates all share their activations, then what?

Sadly, it's a 'no win' situation for all concerned; developer & punter alike.Baring the pirates themselves of course.

And when the pirates all share their activations, then what?
How do you share MAC addresses?

How do you share MAC addresses?
What do you do when a customer wants to change computers or use multiple computers?

One solution would be continuous on-line activation with only one activation allowed at any time. It's messy but....

I think that 'creative solution' already came up at some ends. Feel free to explore the success of it. smile.pngAfter that, one can only repeat what newtie said. The main question is how other devs in the same niche are handling the topic.No need to reinvent the wheel on known circumstances.

Well,apparantely they are not closed any more.This smells like a PR stunt

Well,apparantely they are not closed any more.This smells like a PR stunt
Maybe. I'm having trouble believing pirates caused Cerasim to close. They haven't ran other companies out of business. It just seems like an excuse for having poor sales with a niche add-on that holds an interest level for a smaller group of people.I'm in no way denying the detrimental impact pirates have on our hobby. There's a reason I spend money on every add on I own...

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Well, good news for that small business, either way. Welcome back, Cera Sim. :(