Sign in to follow this  
Flamin_Squirrel

Interesting Failure

I thought I'd make this evening's flight more interesting with a failure. I was only going from Gatwick to Manchester - how bad could it be?Took off, started climing and at about FL150 all hell broke loose. A/P and F/D on the Captain's side dropped out, so quickly engage A/P B and try to figure out what was going wrong. I look at the master caution panels on both sides and they're both indicating mutiple failures. The yaw damper had droped out, as had both mach and speed trims, auto-brake, anti-skid and the primary pressurisation controller excl.pngI was cleared to FL240 so let the plane continue to climb en-route as I needed some time to figure out what was wrong. I tried trouble shooting but couldn't figure it out quickly, so decided to run as many QRH items as I could before the descent into Manchester.Ultimately the only thing I could do was plan for flaps 40 landing with manual braking and spoiler extension, which actually went smoothly in the end.So after pulling up to the gate I looked at the failure page to see what had gone wrong: DC Bus 1 failure!I should have figured that out, as when the failure occured, the dome light came on, or so it appeared. Of course, this was actually the emergency lighting that automatically comes on following a loss of power from the DC Bus.Looking forward to my next failure, and the cascade of potential problems that may result!

Interesting, while descending into KSEA I experienced a hydraulic failure and a loss of all power in engine 2. I was at about 3000 feet , I disengaged autopilot and auto throttle as I was losing airspeed. I applied appropriate throttle and landed safely at KSEA. It was a "routine" failure as I had not set any failures in the FMC. It made things rather interesting as I was flying "low and slow".

Just yesterday, I was coming into KFLL at night, then all of a sudden, autothrottle off, VNAV, etc. turns out a fuel pump failed, and the engine shut off, then did a auto-cross start(?). Fun to experience failures!

the only thing happened to me was just a door light not going out, a couple APU faults, nothing big yet

All I have had so far are consistent "FWD OVRWING" door warnings. They dissapear when I advance the throttles. Weird thing is I have no door failures or random failures selected.

A good 30 flights in and no failures - nothing./knockonwood

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

All I have had so far are consistent "FWD OVRWING" door warnings. They dissapear when I advance the throttles. Weird thing is I have no door failures or random failures selected.
That's normal!

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Indeed, it happens in real life too and is a well documented "quirk" of the NG.

I have made 3 flights and 2 of them had failures. The first one the auto pressure system had a total failure so I was forced to manually adjust the air pressure. On the second during approach the aircraft went way below the ILS glide slope and for some reason there was no warning or anything. The ILS glideslope on the main PFD showed straight on but the backup one showed way too low.On second thought that doesn't sound normal, maybe a bugWhistle.gif

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.