Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

What is important to you in a new flight sim?

Addons and Flight  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Microsoft Flight if it was Hawaii only?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, but only if Flight can be expanded with more scenery later
  2. 2. Which 5 features would be most important for you to have improved (from X-Plane 9 and/or FSX standards) in a new flight simulator?

• Detailed and realistic scenery
    • Realistic flight dynamics
    • GA Aircraft
    • Airliners
    • Military Aircraft
    • Realistic weather
    • Missions, careers and gameplay
    • Multiplayer options
    • Many different aircraft, nice graphics, but only medium fidelity and realism
    • Few, but very realistic aircraft
    • Easy to use scenery creation tool so anyone can make their own house, airport and/or town in flight simulator
    • Medium graphics so it can be used on mid range computers
    • Awesome graphics that would utilise the best hardware avilable to the max
    • Open to third party payware and freeware developers
    • 2D cockpit
    • Virtual cockpit
    • Video recording ability
    • Good map and navigation planning tools
    • Ability to simulate ships, cars and trains in the same simulator
    • Possibility to upgrade the AIRAC and that the AI follow flight plans that can be updated too

From my point of view, the most important feature that Microsoft can endow Flight with is a well laid out and documented SDK. The SDK must also be available to all developers, not just those employed by Microsoft and their third party buddies.
Make that user friendly SDK-for dummies-tools and I'm all in!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

From my point of view, the most important feature that Microsoft can endow Flight with is a well laid out and documented SDK. The SDK must also be available to all developers, not just those employed by Microsoft and their third party buddies.
Mike, what is the need of MS having a Flight's store if a well laid out and documented SDK is available to ALL developers? Please, don't tell me that at this point in time you still think that Flight will be accessible to all developers (freeware or payware) as it was for FSX...do you?

Something like VoxATC?
No. See, VoxATC is a product you have to pay for to get the same type (not quality) of service MS has created by default. I could not run as many AI aircraft as I wanted due to the performance of both programs having to run (FSX being the pig of resources it is). Adding in a few missing details to the existing ATC to round out the procedures as well as giving a 3rd party option for interfacing with the built-in menu system via external means (allowing a speech recognition program to interface or any other external program that could be thought of, but speech recognition being the more missing one).I never disliked the default ATC (never loved it either, but it works) and with some tweaking of the existing product, could be made into something everyone doesn't despise. I see the field as like 60%/40% for those that use ATC en-route offline (60% deal with it as is/40% hate it and are looking for any alternatives via Radar Contact/VoxATC/etc). Improvments to the ATC system would benefit those that need a believable ATC system that is on-demand wherever the flights take place. I don't fly in FSX to places I already know. I fly to places I have never flown in parts of the world I don't know. The local operations of an airport would be lost on me as I wouldn't know what they do in Los Angeles or Dallas Fort Worth. As long as the ATC system gets me from A to B without running me into another aircraft or giving me crazy instructions for no reason, the ATC would be believable and assist in the suspension of disbelief and increase the immersion.Granted, taking off from Daytona Beach of which I am familiar with local operations, I may be disappointed with not having to do an ocean north departure from 7L, but am I going to miss it? Nope. As long as the ATC follows realistic conventions otherwise, I'll be happy. The ATC system isn't too far from being reasonably good, but it needs tweaking and a few additions to round it out. An ATC system that tries to emulate every aspect will always fall short somewhere as a computer will always miss out on the HUMAN aspect of decision-making and rule generalization.

I would love to have the ability to simulate ships, cars and trains, but not really in a flight sim. Maybe like in another sim for ground/water travel.

Mike, what is the need of MS having a Flight's store if a well laid out and documented SDK is available to ALL developers? Please, don't tell me that at this point in time you still think that Flight will be accessible to all developers (freeware or payware) as it was for FSX...do you?
Actually, it forsee that it will be available to anyone who's willing to abide what whatever rules Microsoft establishes. In the case of commercial development, that mechanism would also impose some percentage of sales to MS for minding the store and providing the DRM.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually, it forsee that it will be available to anyone who's willing to abide what whatever rules Microsoft establishes. In the case of commercial development, that mechanism would also impose some percentage of sales to MS for minding the store and providing the DRM.
I agree with you about the SDK been available to whom ever is welling to abide by MS's rules, that was the reason of my post, now, should we define MS's rules?All addons for Flight will have to be sold from the MS's store, and as I explained earlier some publishing company will surely have a problem with that, as far as freeware I can see them in MS's store as freebees from a payware developers like Orbx is doing already for their customers (buy 3 get one free, buy Florida state and get Miami airport included or something like that), as far as good freeware from any regular Joe I don't see how that can work, if I have the choice of downloading a freeware almost as good as a payware one why should I bother with payware, that will undermind the work of 3RD party developers trying to sell their stuff.Futher more, before uploading good quality freeware in the store the regular Joe will have to submit his or their work and pass whatever screening MS will put in place to assure all addons will be bugs free (or almost bugs free), so to do that, good quality freeware developers will need the well laid out and documented SDK....and from a business point of view I don't see this happening.

All addons for Flight will have to be sold from the MS's store, and as I explained earlier some publishing company will surely have a problem with that, as far as freeware I can see them in MS's store as freebees from a payware developers like Orbx is doing already for their customers (buy 3 get one free, buy Florida state and get Miami airport included or something like that), as far as good freeware from any regular Joe I don't see how that can work, if I have the choice of downloading a freeware almost as good as a payware one why should I bother with payware, that will undermind the work of 3RD party developers trying to sell their stuff.Futher more, before uploading good quality freeware in the store the regular Joe will have to submit his or their work and pass whatever screening MS will put in place to assure all addons will be bugs free (or almost bugs free), so to do that, good quality freeware developers will need the well laid out and documented SDK....and from a business point of view I don't see this happening.
1) Having all addons in one place would be great. Something like Apple's Appstore, but hopefully much more user friendly so you can find what you're looking for. A rating system where people rate and review products with their full name would help separate the wheat from the chaff.2) Make the flight planner in Flight communicate with the Flight store so you can download AI aircraft, airports and scenery for the area in which you are going to fly. That would solve today's needle in a haystack search for files. Same for aircraft. When selecting aircraft you can choose between installed aircraft, or go straight to the Flight store and download your aircraft of choice.3) Freeware in the Appstore works great, so why woudn't it work for MS Flight? Rarely there is freeware that comes close to the quality of good payware, so I really don't see how the two would compete. It's a BIG world (unless it's Hawaii only ;) ). Even if every freeware and payware developer worked 24-7 for many years only a tiny part of the world's scenery, airports and aircraft could be covered. Plenty of cake for all!

Futher more, before uploading good quality freeware in the store the regular Joe will have to submit his or their work and pass whatever screening MS will put in place to assure all addons will be bugs free (or almost bugs free), so to do that, good quality freeware developers will need the well laid out and documented SDK....and from a business point of view I don't see this happening.
Why not, Alain ?Actualy, most of "App Store" haves freeware and payware together.
if I have the choice of downloading a freeware almost as good as a payware one why should I bother with payware, that will undermind the work of 3RD party developers trying to sell their stuff.
Very often, freeware scenery (and planes) and payware scenery are differents because it's quite impossible or very hard to make alone the same quality (or area) than a team. I know that because i'm a developper.Actualy, for some sceney or plane, you have alreday the choice betwin freeware or payware. They are not in the same place but everybody know places where to find good freeware. This fact is not disturbing 3rd compagny to create Paywares.

1) Having all addons in one place would be great. Something like Apple's Appstore, but hopefully much more user friendly so you can find what you're looking for. A rating system where people rate and review products with their full name would help separate the wheat from the chaff.2) Freeware in the Appstore works great, so why woudn't it work for MS Flight? Rarely there is freeware that comes close to the quality of good payware, so I really don't see how the two would compete. It's a BIG world (unless it's Hawaii only ;) ). Even if every freeware and payware developer worked 24-7 for many years only a tiny part of the world's scenery, airports and aircraft could be covered. Plenty of cake for all as well.
On your point #2, if I was a payware developers having to pay MS for the right to sell my addons in their store I'll try to make sure MS keep freeware from any non payware developers out of the store, as a customer do I want that....of course not but as a business man that's the way to go, big world or not.

Why not, Alain ?Actualy, most of "App Store" haves freeware and payware together.Very often, freeware scenery (and planes) and payware scenery are differents because it's quite impossible or very hard to make alone the same quality (or area) than a team. I know that because i'm a developper.Actualy, for some sceney or plane, you have alreday the choice betwin freeware or payware. They are not in the same place but everybody know places where to find good freeware. This fact is not disturbing 3rd compagny to create Paywares.
I get your point and I'm not saying that my way is the only way, it may well be as you described it.

On your point #2, if I was a payware developers having to pay MS for the right to sell my addons in their store I'll try to make sure MS keep freeware from any non payware developers out of the store, as a customer do I want that....of course not but as a business man that's the way to go, big world or not.
1) You wouldn't have to pay MS, just give them a % of the sales.2) If you were a payware developer and made payware that wasn't any better than the available freeware you'd deserve to be out of business. Can you give me five examples of FSX freeware that is on par or better than similar payware? I can't.

1) You wouldn't have to pay MS, just give them a % of the sales.2) If you were a payware developer and made payware that wasn't any better than the available freeware you'd deserve to be out of business. Can you give me five examples of FSX freeware that is on par or better than similar payware? I can't.
1) How they will pay MS does not really matter, pay upfront or give a % of the sales is a form of payment.2) Of course freeware does not rival good payware from a big developer, again, freeware may be a part of Flight but I see them as a bonus from payware developer (from a stand point of a business man) but like I said the SDK may be available to whom is welling to use it.

Can you give me five examples of FSX freeware that is on par or better than similar payware? I can't.
Most FSX native freeware releases are better than any Abacus add-on.

Brandon Filer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.