Sign in to follow this  
IAmThWlfMan

Goodbye MS Flight (sim)

Its like saying goodbye to an old friend..
Really it's more than that. This "old friend" died years ago with the disbandment of ACES, you said your goodbyes back then surely... and now they have exhumed the corpse and dressed it in a new skin, dancing it around for the punters at the freak show to gawk at.

Payt.. If the forum is so "weird" why are you contributing?? This is a hobby, same as basket weaving, blanket knitting or stamp collecting.. Boring as can be to some, but others cant get enough of it..As for "pants in a tizzy" look at how people take sports events when their team looses.. The follow up event is called a RIOT..Flight might be the greatest thing since sliced bread.. Or could be as others have said "white elephant".. We don't know what it will be until it is released.. But in the mean time it sure is fun to hear everyone's ideas on what it may be..
I'm reading this forum in the hopes of finding new and interesting things about flight.. but instead what i see is a lot of speculation , doom and gloom, trolling and negativity in general (just have a look at the post above this one). Sure, Flight might be a dud (in the eyes of us simheads), but as far as i can see there's little reason to think so. A little while ago people were going bonkers with rumours that the development of Flight was halted.. then new screenshots popped up so that rumour was dealt with.. Another time the rumourmongers were going on about there just being 1 plane in Flight, then screenies popped up with different aircraft.. and so it goes over and over again.I'm also hoping that Flight will be a cool flightsim.. kindof a bigger and better/smoother version of FSX using the latest technology would be cool to me. So far things are looking good, while there are also a lot of question marks. What annoys me is that people are filling up those question marks with their own theories and pretend that they are actual fact and post them on this forum as such, and those kinds of posts and all the resulting replies and pissing matches are dragging down the quality of this forum. I've never been to a knitting forum or a stampcollectors forum, but i'd be surprised to see the same phenomenon happening over there.

nothing new! It's exactly the same every time since FS3!LOL.gif
haha.. yah i guess so eh?I have to say though that when FSX was being developed it didn't seem to be as bad.. they were interesting times, and i have good memories of them. Maybe it was because some of the Aces guys were communicating on the forums a lot more, so there was less fodder for the rumour mill.It seems that MS has decided that they're going to communicate as little as possible and in as vague terms possible too.. Apparently there's some marketing suit who thinks that's a good idea and a good way to create buzz and hype.

what i see is a lot of speculation , doom and gloom, trolling and negativity in general (just have a look at the post above this one).
What!? laugh.png Please... why be so serious??? If you are after only serious and factual information stick to the Flight website.

haha.. yah i guess so eh?I have to say though that when FSX was being developed it didn't seem to be as bad.. they were interesting times, and i have good memories of them. Maybe it was because some of the Aces guys were communicating on the forums a lot more, so there was less fodder for the rumour mill.It seems that MS has decided that they're going to communicate as little as possible and in as vague terms possible too.. Apparently there's some marketing suit who thinks that's a good idea and a good way to create buzz and hype.
don't get me wrong, that's one reason why I think they are interesting times Big%20Grin.gifand don't forget FSX was the only time ever microsoft communicated! and it's version number Xcheers

My God, some people are so dramatic. People, reguardless of what MS turns out, IT'S JUST A GAME/SIM. Get away from the computer, and go do something with your family until the release, than, either buy it or don't. Worried.gif

What!? laugh.png Please... why be so serious??? If you are after only serious and factual information stick to the Flight website.
haha.. that seems to be the best advice yah, which is exactly why i started my little rant here. I'm all for fun and frivolity, but sadly there's a lot of cynisism going on like in your previous post and the posts of others. In my opinion this cynisism is unwarranted until we know exactly what Flight is all about and whether it's a worthy successor to FSX or not. Maybe i'm a little naive in that way, but i guess i'm an optimist then.

haha.. that seems to be the best advice yah, which is exactly why i started my little rant here. I'm all for fun and frivolity, but sadly there's a lot of cynisism going on like in your previous post and the posts of others. In my opinion this cynisism is unwarranted until we know exactly what Flight is all about and whether it's a worthy successor to FSX or not. Maybe i'm a little naive in that way, but i guess i'm an optimist then.
I think you took my post out of context. I was just pointing out that Flight is not the death of the franchise, the cancelling of FS11 was. What we can say for certain is they have taken the old engine and have improved the visuals and apparently the performance, I just used the analogy of an old friend. I meant no negativity at all in that post. I agree with your thoughts, we really have too little to draw any conclusions but everyone's entitled to their own view, whether it be positive, negative or somewhere in between.You say that you don't like people filling in the blanks but is it the fact that they are filling in the blanks or is it that they are filling them in with scenarios and opinions you disagree with?What if this forum was full of only positive posts about what Flight will be, would you then still be saying they are dragging down the quality of the forum? It's fundamental to human nature to come up with the "worst case scenario" when dealing with uncertainty and there is plenty of uncertainty with Flight. Just keep in mind they are just opinions, Flight will be what it will be and opinions will change.Just my opinion of course. happy.png

just a troll

Its like saying goodbye to an old friend.. I started using the MS series back when FS4 was the latest and greatest.. In fact, i probably still have the box and diskettes somewhere for it.. I remember flying in just specific regions that had been made, then the HUGE step up to airports all over the world and finally EVERY airport in the world.. Like most of the diehards here i remember getting FSX the day it came out.. I couldnt get it home and loaded fast enough.. I molded the systems i built around the running of FSX..I guess what i am trying to get at is this.. The flight sim series has been improvement upon improvement.. Getting better and better and more realistic as time goes on.. It is a very amazing program, not perfect but no sim will ever be.. I am very debating on if i will be taking the step to MS Flight.. It is down stepping to regional again, and then if you have to purchase other areas on top of that.. I have never given the "competition" more than about 10 minutes of demo time.. And it takes some getting used to with new buttons and commands.. But i am wondering if now is the time to make the switch..Guess we will just have to wait and see what the final MS product turns out to be..
troll

What is it that makes people jump to all these negative conclusions?? Let's wait for Microsoft's official statement regarding the coverage of Flight. Looks like Bill is the only person that makes sense around here...
they are conditioned to be this way... most mass communications outlets now feature programming rife with speculative content and plain old "drama." Such is grist for the rumor and gossip mill.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I think you took my post out of context. I was just pointing out that Flight is not the death of the franchise, the cancelling of FS11 was. What we can say for certain is they have taken the old engine and have improved the visuals and apparently the performance, I just used the analogy of an old friend. I meant no negativity at all in that post. I agree with your thoughts, we really have too little to draw any conclusions but everyone's entitled to their own view, whether it be positive, negative or somewhere in between.
That depends on how you define the franchise. Is the franchise 'dead' because the Aces team was disbanded? From what i gather, a lot of people that were in the old aces team are now working on Flight. In one sentence you claim the franchise is dead, and in the next you claim they took the old FSX engine and improved it. Sounds like your old friend lives on in some way or fashion.. he's just being updated to live on in new days and meeting new demands.
You say that you don't like people filling in the blanks but is it the fact that they are filling in the blanks or is it that they are filling them in with scenarios and opinions you disagree with?What if this forum was full of only positive posts about what Flight will be, would you then still be saying they are dragging down the quality of the forum? It's fundamental to human nature to come up with the "worst case scenario" when dealing with uncertainty and there is plenty of uncertainty with Flight. Just keep in mind they are just opinions, Flight will be what it will be and opinions will change.Just my opinion of course. happy.png
I don't care what people imagine and how they fill up the blanks.. i guess it's a property of the mind to imagine all sorts of stuff, and i do that myself too, to some extent. What annoys me is when people can't differentiate between the facts that have seen the light of day so far, and their imaginations. They post their imaginary scenarios as facts, and then go on being cynical about the whole thing.We've seen all these silly speculations.. people were going on about Flight being just for consoles, it being just an arcade game for the game-crowd, not a proper simulator, it being just FSX SP3, it featuring just Hawaii, and on and on it goes. Most of these imaginations (rumours) have been dispelled, and yet the same rumour-mongers go on and on with their sillyness, and apparently people fall for it over and over again. You'd think that at some point you learn a lesson here or there, but maybe there's a little fearful part in our minds that's just incapable of shrugging off all those threatening and scary scenarios in which it doesn't get exactly what it wants.. lol.Anyway.. let's hope for some more sanity here :)

My God, some people are so dramatic. People, reguardless of what MS turns out, IT'S JUST A GAME/SIM. Get away from the computer, and go do something with your family until the release, than, either buy it or don't. Worried.gif
"Get away from the computer" "go do something with your family" Your avin a laugh Sir.To perfectly dreadful ideas wink.pngYing%20Yang.gif and one for Tristan Cuppa.gifPS If Flight is just Hawaii ,then it looks a dammed fine Hawaii to me .Aloha

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

"Get away from the computer" "go do something with your family"Your avin a laugh Sir.To perfectly dreadful ideas wink.pngYing%20Yang.gif and one for Tristan Cuppa.gifPS If Flight is just Hawaii ,then it looks a dammed fine Hawaii to me .Aloha
I never thought you would ask..thank you Sir and don't forget the Dundee Cake.

"What is it that makes people jump to all these negative conclusions??"
Mmmmm, the constant shots of Hawaii and not other places lol...With the previous flight sim versions they'd show shots of other places in the world.Granted it could be a new advertising tactic...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That depends on how you define the franchise. Is the franchise 'dead' because the Aces team was disbanded? From what i gather, a lot of people that were in the old aces team are now working on Flight. In one sentence you claim the franchise is dead, and in the next you claim they took the old FSX engine and improved it. Sounds like your old friend lives on in some way or fashion.. he's just being updated to live on in new days and meeting new demands.
Yes the franchise WAS dead at that point, it wasn't until years later that Flight was announced. There is a difference between past tense and present tense that you are either missing or purposely ignoring just for the sake of argument.
I don't care what people imagine and how they fill up the blanks.. i guess it's a property of the mind to imagine all sorts of stuff, and i do that myself too, to some extent. What annoys me is when people can't differentiate between the facts that have seen the light of day so far, and their imaginations. They post their imaginary scenarios as facts, and then go on being cynical about the whole thing.We've seen all these silly speculations.. people were going on about Flight being just for consoles, it being just an arcade game for the game-crowd, not a proper simulator, it being just FSX SP3, it featuring just Hawaii, and on and on it goes. Most of these imaginations (rumours) have been dispelled, and yet the same rumour-mongers go on and on with their sillyness, and apparently people fall for it over and over again. You'd think that at some point you learn a lesson here or there, but maybe there's a little fearful part in our minds that's just incapable of shrugging off all those threatening and scary scenarios in which it doesn't get exactly what it wants.. lol.Anyway.. let's hope for some more sanity here :)
Ok, I see your point. Why does it bother you so much what others think though? Is it that you are afraid they might come true?

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.