Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

I hope XP10 removes the need for the Dvd to be inserted.

Use a virtual drive program and load the.exe file onto it and you won't need the DVD.

I bought a USB dongle for X-Plane 9 when they were released a long time ago. For some reason they are no longer sold.Hoping X-Plane 10 will sell them to.

why does this bother you?
Who still uses a Cd/Dvd in their drive to play a pcgame? I wish they would sell it on Steam, that would make my day.

Does this bother you if you knew it is one way to fight piracy?It must be hard to push a button and lift that heavy DVD out and put it in the tray and push it closed.And with XP9 you even get a reminder to place the DVD into the drive all without re-starting the program!

I always worry "what if the dvd fails to read"To be honest it is a damn nuisance.Pete

Does this bother you if you knew it is one way to fight piracy?It must be hard to push a button and lift that heavy DVD out and put it in the tray and push it closed.And with XP9 you even get a reminder to place the DVD into the drive all without re-starting the program!
Pirates will find a way to get around Cd checks, that's probably the most basic of protections. I just prefer not having to hunt for a dvd. I never play X-plane that much, but when i do I always end up hunting for the DVD and then say forget it.

Do you remember where you put your car keys?!
Now you're just being rational Jim. :D
Who still uses a Cd/Dvd in their drive to play a pcgame? I wish they would sell it on Steam, that would make my day.
I agree that using the DVD is a bit old fashioned but at the same time I don't think the community prefers the alternatives just yet...that is web based security or a dongle. Of course the community would prefer none I'm sure...but what we prefer is certainly not the way the world is going.....we can not like it all we want but either we get on the train or we go find something else to do. I have often said that I have lived during the golden age of software....the internet will make sure that in the future, digital licenses are managed online and paid for regularly....heck, one day our computers will just be dumb terminals running stuff off of cloud servers. Outside of laminar, I'm involved in the architectural and engineering industry and "leased" CAD software is just starting to make it's way in. There are a few adopters, but not many.....but in a few years, once people are constantly bombarded with the concept by software develoers, they'll slowly accept it and eventually there really won't be any option. Paid subscriptions will probably be the norm and we'll trade control for convenience -Tom Kyler XPlane10 scenery XPlane10 aircraft

You just said:Use a virtual drive program and load the.exe file onto it and you won't need the DVD. So what is the point of this exercise?Do you put a DVD in your Iphone version?:-)

1. Take 5 seconds and put the DVD in the drive.or2. Take 5 seconds to mount the .exe on a VD.Many don't know how to use VD software, but everyone can use a DVD.I don't own an Iphone and I don't have XP 9 installed.