Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

CatIII ILS Landing at EGLL (Heathrow) Fails in this aircraft?

I can Autoland CATIII at other airports where the runways are designated as CATIII capable, but in 2 different flights from EBBR to EGLL, I was unable to have both CMD a/p buttons remaining lit during final approach and the CATiii landing failed in both cases.Does anyone know what I might have done wrong?

• Configured Runway Length for 27R at Heathrow on the HUGS setup panel 12798 feet
  • Entered Runway Altitude in HUGS panel 79 feet
  • Confirmed 3 degree GLS in HUGS panel
  • Selected PRI in MODE for HUGS panel
  • STBY AIII ARM in HUGS panel

Set CRSE both seats for 271 degreesSet NAV1 and NAV2 both for 110.30 hzFollowing the above for other airports such as CYVR (Vancouver Int'l) the plane autolands including flare just fine. I simply push the nose down following touchdown and engage the reverse thrusters and then the brakes - spot on.None of this works as I expect at Heathrow.The A/P switches from Capt to FO (they will NOT both remain lit, even during the very final portion of the approach)Any suggestions will be most welcome - thanks.If perchance there is NO Cat3 capability at EGLL, I'd love to hear it, but that disagrees with what my other resources say.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

The problem is probably the AFCAD. I have both the UK2000 and Aerosoft versions of EGLL, and they both appear to be using the Stock NAVAIDs according to ADE, both of which do not set the ILS 27R to Cat III.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

You can autoland at any airport in FSX as long as it has an ILS. ( except LOWI.....lol )(FSX doesn't know the difference between a CAT3 and a mountain lion)Are you in APP mode when you press the 2nd autopilot ?
Actually it does, but most aircraft (Especially default/non complex) probably don't look at it. PMDG as detailed as they are, probably do. If you go in ADE (Or any Airport editor) there is a field in the ILS NAVAID screen to set either blank, CATII or CATIII. This data is saved. EGLL 27R is set Blank

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Just tried a quick test flight, taking off from RWY27R at EGLL and climbed to 5000 ft.Flew around the airport and descended to 3000 ft while on localizer intercept.Captured localizer in VOR/LOC mode and pressed APP to capture the glideslope.Made a perfect Fail OP autoland on RWY 27R. ( the FSX map says the course is 173 but when I was sitting on the runway before takeoff my heading was 172.)I set both courses to 172 for landing. ( 171 or 173 would have made no difference in FSX )The radios are what really matter !
You mean 272 right?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Here the same problems. I made several approaches on EHAM rwy 06 but never a cat III landing.Both radio's tuned for de correct ILS and both crs selectors also selected for the runway headingIntercept ILS with the APP button selected. Altitude about 2000ft but never are de both AP light came on.Only switching form cha A to B or from B to A.Whats wrongRegardsJack Broens

Here the same problems. I made several approaches on EHAM rwy 06 but never a cat III landing.Both radio's tuned for de correct ILS and both crs selectors also selected for the runway headingIntercept ILS with the APP button selected. Altitude about 2000ft but never are de both AP light came on.Only switching form cha A to B or from B to A.Whats wrongRegardsJack Broens
You arm the second AP on the glide?Bert Van Bulck

I tried on several positions. So far i know you can engaged the second AP before the autoland test 1200/1300 ft. (in real live)The AP/FD cmptr's are always synchronized.GrtJack Broens

I had a similar problem at EGLL but with 9L+R.and also with 27 at Liverpool and 7l+R at Frankfurt. It was caused by my Traffic X programme. There is a fix for it on the Just Flight site.

Thanks for spotting that Tom.I will edit my post now.Cheers.Jason.
You need to change your true heading to 271deg. Check the current publications on the NATS site.vololiberista

How do you do that? The CRS window doesn't matter as far as I know. It's the frequency and what FSX says the heading is versus what the NGX thinks it is. You can put whatever you want in the course window and the a/p will follow the LOC anyway.

you are aso talking about a program that has been out 6 years, and has not been updated, thus in many airports you might not enter on the center line a little to the right or a little to the left. IfI was going to make an autoland and see things are a bit off just disconnect ap and make manual landing usually see that at about 1,500 ft. just a suggestion, but its not the ngx fault bcuase of some wrong course numbers the system of fsx is 6yrsold and a lot of thing have changed'As Mr. Jason says if you here the radios you are on track and go by what fsx says and then make the adjustments, look at the map when you get yur ils landing runway and just put them in in bothe radios nav 1 and 2 andthe course # and hopefully you will be close to center line. It's a common problem with fsx.

I would like to thank all of you who took the time to reply to my inquiry. Yes, I am arming the 2nd AP on the G/S, no joy, it switches back and forth from A to B and vice versa. I know they can both remain lit when I autoland Cat3 at other airports. I was wondering what any of you may have discovered, and was specifically wondering if anyone had a 'fix'. I will take a try with ADE and edit the fields for the Navaids and see if that makes a difference. Again, thanks to all who tried to help! I am using REX2 OD for live real-time weather and Squawkbox4 networked for realtime ATC.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

What about altimeter setting? Are you on radio? What about minimums setting on PFD? Seems like you forget absolute basics.

Tom Link

Actually it does, but most aircraft (Especially default/non complex) probably don't look at it. PMDG as detailed as they are, probably do. If you go in ADE (Or any Airport editor) there is a field in the ILS NAVAID screen to set either blank, CATII or CATIII. This data is saved. EGLL 27R is set Blank
THIS WAS THE ANSWER THAT WORKED FOR ME!I used ADE, loaded the EGLL "Stock" airport, click on LISTS then NAVAIDS, the first four items are the ILS for Heathrow (EGLL), one at a time, click on them, in the PROPERTIES window, click the NAME dropdown (it is currently blank) and select CAT III then click OK. Repeat 3 more times for the remaining runway approaches. Then click CLOSE. Final step is to choose COMPILE AIRPORT from the FILE menu. IT will open a "Save As" dialog box. Save it to your FSX folder add-on sceneryscenery folder as in this exampleC:Program files (x86)Microsoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XAddon Sceneryscenerybox.Note: ADE will name your new saved file as EGLL_ADEX_YOURINITIALS.BGL which will work just fine in FSX.DO NOT save this 'fixed' airport in your FSX scenery folder - it needs to go in the 'addon sceneryscenery' folder.Next time you restart FSX, the scenery will recompile and your CATIII landings will work as expected at Heathrow.Many thanks to all who answered. Yes, even though I selected 271 as CRS heading in both MCP windows, when the localizer was acquired the CRS changed to 272 which is a Microsoft issue I think. I don't know how to edit the CRS in ADE, so I didn't change it ('real world' is 271 degrees AFAIK).Blue Skies!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

The title of this thread is very misleading.It should read " I can't seem to make an autoland at EGLL..........why ? "I use the stock EGLL for lots of flight tests and can assure you that there is no problem except that the datais old and does not fully match the charts. That however has absolutely nothing to do with being able to autoland.Fred.