Sign in to follow this  

Does the simulation rate influence flight dynamics ?

Of course the answer should be no but pretty much each time I enable the 8X factor something weird happens to my bird.Sometimes while landing, after switching back to normal simulation rate, I experience jump of 30-40 knots during final and most of the times this leads me to abort the landing.Sometimes when still at FL370 or similar the wind blows at 98 knots....I know that purists never enable the X factor but on " long " hauls of 2-3 hours every now and then when cruising I use the 8X factor to short a bit the trip but I have almost the certainty the dynamics get 8X as well even if they shouldn't. Of course the smoking gun is in FSX hand I know that.Am I the only one ?

Not sure on the 737 but my MD-11 crashed into the Pacific about an hour away from Honolulu at 8X a few months ago. So I think it does affect the flight dynamics.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I never use more than x4 for straight flight ie cruise and x2 for waypoints involving turnsThe accel rate is unstable at the best of times and even more so for addon aircraft.....especially those that are not linked to the sim rate but operate outside of FS

Yes. Complex aircraft have all kinds of computations running that the computer is taxed enough at 1X, much less higher. I think PMDG stated 4X was the max you should use without totally screwing everything up.For the record, I'm a purist and I think increased sim rates kill fairies and baby seals.

Kyle Rodgers

Yep, 4x is the absolute highest you should go with advanced aircraft, and yes it has been stated on I think every one of PMDG's aircraft and others.I too am against using it. Not to say I don't walk away or minimize on long flights, but never use it personally. Actually, I do use it when doing some video editing tricks. Want to make it look like your system is all that on youtube? Record at 15fps and FSX playback speed at half speed bg.gif

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

First, thanks for the 4X suggestions, I'll give it a try.Second, just out of curiosity, when 777 will be released, are purists planning to fly 10 hours hauls entirely at normal speed ?

Yep, 4x is the absolute highest you should go with advanced aircraft, and yes it has been stated on I think every one of PMDG's aircraft and others.I too am against using it. Not to say I don't walk away or minimize on long flights, but never use it personally. Actually, I do use it when doing some video editing tricks. Want to make it look like your system is all that on youtube? Record at 15fps and FSX playback speed at half speed bg.gif
First, thanks for the 4X suggestions, I'll give it a try.Second, just out of curiosity, when 777 will be released, are purists planning to fly 10 hours hauls entirely at normal speed ?
Yes, whats the point of it being a simulator when you don't simulate anything?Honestly the satisfaction on landing on a long flight is worth the 8hours or so, seriously

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Yes, whats the point of it being a simulator when you don't simulate anything?Honestly the satisfaction on landing on a long flight is worth the 8hours or so, seriously
I can somehow understand that but you have to take into account that within 8 hours the game could freeze, you can have a phone call or you may have power outage and it would be risky flying for 8 hours with no hostesses and riskying the whole flight considering the save game functions of FSX is not reliable above all with third parties addons.

I can somehow understand that but you have to take into account that within 8 hours the game could freeze, you can have a phone call or you may have power outage and it would be risky flying for 8 hours with no hostesses and riskying the whole flight considering the save game functions of FSX is not reliable above all with third parties addons.
In my whole simulator life I have had maybe 6 power outages, and that was due to work being done on the house. FSX is unlikely to crash on cruise, there is not that much to draw up there for the gpu etc. Save functions work well for me, and haven' let me down.

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Gents, FDE is defined by the air file and the aircraft cfg. In terms of performance it remains unaffected. With respect to manual handling it remains almost unaffected since response to joystick/yoke/pedals input is filtered and processed (its FBW Whistle.gif in the code) You mean automatic flight (different thing). The AFS (automatic flight system) is using a very large numbers of virtual accelerometers left, right and centre and various time dependent filters, noise cleaners and error predictions time dependent algorithms.The same for other avionics and mechanical systems. At 8x data quality is SEVERELY degraded. Accelerated flight is for CRZ. This is not a toy (or conversely a very very sophisticated toy).

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Yep, 4x is the absolute highest you should go with advanced aircraft, and yes it has been stated on I think every one of PMDG's aircraft and others.
.... At 8x data quality is SEVERELY degraded. Accelerated flight is for CRZ. This is not a toy (or conversely a very very sophisticated toy).
Nevertheless, the NGX Introduction document has the following to say on page 0.00.112:Time Acceleration Limit:Time Acceleration should be limited to 8x to ensure proper autopilot function.Time Acceleration should be limited to 8x to ensure proper fuelsystem function. (The mathematical iterations required fordamping and control law become prohibitive for most desktopmachines when run at speeds at greater than 8x, so we have nottuned the autopilot or fuel system for operation at accelerationrates faster than 8x.)Not that I really care as I never use it, but maybe an an update of the Introduction document should be considered?

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Guys, as EV said - the autopilot is a dynamic system that's actually reacting to external stimuli/inputs from the outside environment - time compression does affect these inputs. If you're using realistic weather etc it's probably best to not exceed 4X like others were saying here. I think that thing in the manual is probably assuming no weather for 8X.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com