Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Murray

Is XP-10 (Hawaii) scenery better then FLIGHTS' (Hawaii)?

I will say it. No. XPX's Hawaii looks just like Seattle, Washington DC, San Diego, Dallas, etc.... If you like variety in your regions, you won't get much from XPX.

I will say it. No. XPX's Hawaii looks just like Seattle, Washington DC, San Diego, Dallas, etc.... If you like variety in your regions, you won't get much from XPX.
just curiosity, possible to post a screenshot showing how XPX depict Hawaii?

just curiosity, possible to post a screenshot showing how XPX depict Hawaii?
I second that, some comparison shots would be a laugh.

I second that, some comparison shots would be a laugh.
Yes. It would truly be comical! XPX Seattle doesent even look like Seattle. You really have a hard time trying to fly VFR in default XPX without any sort of landmarks what-so-ever.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I thought XP had scenery packs. Did they have a scenery pack for Seattle area? In other words, is it the default that is that bad or is it bad with the scenery pack?

Well if you want to spend a crap load of money, im sure they do have scenery packs, but we are comparing default to default. For 80 bucks though you would expect at least some landmarks somewhere, even if just in the demo "Seattle" area!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I live in Toronto, Canada and even in default FSX scenery there are several Toronto lanmarks buildings an remarably this includes the Etobicoke bridge by the lakeshore. Has anyone seen the the Seattle Needle or the Boeing factory?

Has anyone seen the the Seattle Needle or the Boeing factory?
The Needle, yes, but almost nothing else in the demo. There is a decent Statue of Liberty and the island renedered to some extent, but that's what is included in the demo package - I think I saw a video on that.X-plane almost never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. It is CONSISTANT that way !But again, the software is in beta PERPETUALLY, so it's a bit too early to tell what's in the pipeline.

I live on Vancouver Island and in default FSX this area received no custom buildings, bridges or other structures. I added Orbx PNW and they didn't include any custom models on Vancouver Island; even in Victoria the capital city of British Columbia, you don't see the Parliament Buildings, The Empress, the hospitals or any other distinguishing structures.So I can only hope that the developers of Microsoft Flight spend even a hundredth of the time they have spent on Hawaii, working on Vancouver Island. Notice that I said "hope", because in reality I would be extremely (but pleasantly) surprised if they spend anytime at all modeling this area. With the announced hard drive space requirements for Microsoft Flight, I have a hard time seeing any other area in the world receiving the "Hawaii" treatment.

X-plane almost never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. It is CONSISTANT that way !But again, the software is in beta PERPETUALLY, so it's a bit too early to tell what's in the pipeline.
I have to say you are completely correct on this point. Our XP friends had an incredible opportunity and utterly failed to capitalize on it. I am still hopeful that XP does turn out to be a good sim, but it sure does need a lot of work based on community involvement to populate airports and city scapes as well as either Laminar or the community to come up with a modern solution for AI traffic.I am even more hopeful that MS puts out an incredible product that will satisfy the flight sim community.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I would love to, but I'm an idiot when it comes to posting pics. When I try to use the image icon, it ask for a URL. I don't have a URL, I've got the screenshot on my computer. Can someone help me out? :(

I live on Vancouver Island and in default FSX this area received no custom buildings, bridges or other structures. I added Orbx PNW and they didn't include any custom models on Vancouver Island; even in Victoria the capital city of British Columbia, you don't see the Parliament Buildings, The Empress, the hospitals or any other distinguishing structures.So I can only hope that the developers of Microsoft Flight spend even a hundredth of the time they have spent on Hawaii, working on Vancouver Island. Notice that I said "hope", because in reality I would be extremely (but pleasantly) surprised if they spend anytime at all modeling this area. With the announced hard drive space requirements for Microsoft Flight, I have a hard time seeing any other area in the world receiving the "Hawaii" treatment.
You live not only in a beautiful part of Canada but also the world. Lets hope that Flight represent your area well. I think though, these flight sims tend to concentrate more on populous areas. I have flown into Van City and its not bad in default FSX scenery.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.