Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

An informal survey!

Some basic questions that we would like to ask for an initial view of the FLIGHT announcements and images this morning from MS.  

613 members have voted

1. 1. The initial release of FLIGHT will be free. Will you download it and give it a try?

2. 2. MS has indicated in their Press Release that additional scenery and aircraft will be made available. Will you purchase these add-ons when they become available?

3. 3. FLIGHT today seems to only include GA aircraft. Do you expect airlines with appropriate aircraft to be included in the near future?

• Yes I do.
    • Nope, I could care less for the large a/c.
    • I don't really know at this point.
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT so it really doesn't matter.
  4. 4. MS has said that they will provide future scenery add-ons. Will you purchase them?

5. 5. Assuming all additional add-ons require you to pay for them via MS Live, what price would you be willing to pay for a scenery area?

• Over $50
    • $40 to $50
    • $30 to $40
    • $20 to $30
    • $10 to $20
    • Less than $10
    • I am not willing to pay anything for additional scenery
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT
  6. 6. Same question as number 5, only this time for Aircraft add-ons?

• Over $50
    • $40 to $50
    • $30 to $40
    • $20 to $30
    • $10 to $20
    • Less than $10
    • I am not willing to pay anything for additional scenery
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT
  7. 7. What was your first reaction when seeing the FLIGHT news?

• Happy - looking forward to flying it
    • Not so happy - I will try it out and then get excited, or not.
    • Not happy - I will not participate in FLIGHT as it is today.
    • Angry - I won't have anything to do with FLIGHT

Hi Jon,Yes I agree a fresh start is always good. I have had some experience with Win Live and Steam downloads and have based my assumptions on that. No worries I have been wrong before, ask my wife LOL.

Edited by BAW435

\Robert Hamlich/

Edit:Not at all happy with what I'm reading or seeing. Gonna keep a quarter of an eye open on the Flight forum.Personally I don't think Flight has much of the future.And oh yeah, to quote this:"There will be no scenery development kit and hence no user created content."And from what I read, we are dependant on the "team" to make the PMDG quality aircraft. Yippee!But in the end, what did we expect?? Why did Microsoft sell the ESP to LM to develop it further if they worked on something similar! They weren't - so, the only explanation - Microsoft has abandoned us. Simmers.Well... good luck with this.

Edited by Kosta

How sad. I was hoping to see some good news today but ... well, this just sucks eggs doesn't it?

www.antsairplanes.com

I was one of those polled who could care less about this new "Flight" crap.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

My friends, with great sadness I have to say that I was completely, horribly wrong.With very few exceptions, ALL of the worst fears that've been expressed over the past few months......absolutely PALE in comparison with reality.I humbly apologize to all those who were affected by my gulibility... Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I humbly apologize to all those who were affected by my gulibility... Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! :(
Fili, remittuntur tibi. (You are forgiven my son)

Fili, remittuntur tibi. (You are forgiven my son)
Thanks. I assume the translation was for the benefit of others, as my Latin isn't that rusty yet... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks. I assume the translation was for the benefit of others, as my Latin isn't that rusty yet... :(
Not to many peoples still speak Latin, my father used to sing in Latin.

I know this is an informal poll, but I the real determinant of whether or not I'll buy any additional stuff for Flight is the quality of the offerings.You would have to pay me to download the default 737 as not-free add on for instance.Colin

For me personally, unless "Flight" will allow for vatsim integration in the future, then I can't see it holding my attention and being my primary sim regardless of what they do.The magic of any sim platform for me, has always been the fact it has been open ended.I believe MS will sooner or later give in to the wants of the FS community. It's the only way it will ever succeed and have longevity.One thing that might be positive on the idea of the DLC store ... It will probably cut down quite a bit on addon piracy. JB

Edited by Buzz313th

Like many others I miss the 'maybe / it depends' option in most of the questions. I will certainly download Flight when it comes out and give it a spin. Not as a replacement for FSX, but as an addition, something to play when I don't feel like 'serious' flying. Whether I will buy any DLC will depend on how much I enjoy Flight and what the quality of the DLC on offer is. The same goes for the price level. I don't see myself going much above the $15 mark for scenery, unless we are talking whole continent level though.For airliners I missed the option: no, with the scenery area sizes airliners don't make much sense but maybe at some point in the distant future. I suspect that the scenery areas will work like in Ship Simulator. There there are a number of detailed ports (comparable to one scenery area in Flight), if you sail to the border you warp to a generic 'Ocean' region, sail to the border of that and you warp to one of the detailed ports again.We already have some pretty good hints as to what the first DLC plane will be by the way, since we have seen screens of the Maule, the P-51 and one other plane (Vans RV-7?) that we know are not coming with the base pack, nor will you get them for signing up to Windows Live.

All wait and see because if you play games online the DLC content can be from extortion prices to decent prices like 10 to 15 dollars for add on etc. The one thing that makes me of weary Microsoft Flight not having 3rd party developers to add content. Without 3rd party developers you would never have certain GA ,jets or scenery to fly over. We will not know outcome of Microsoft decision till year or two from now I think. FSX was ahead of its time back in 2006 it chewed up your average computer CPU and it took till 2010 where the average computer could run FSX decently. All give it a spin to try Microsoft flight not gonna worry over it since, FSX still amazing to some of us from 1990s era graphics and hardware.

No entire world simulatedNot 3rd party software allowedOnline play mode only controlled by Microsoft (only 20 or 30 players ??)Not SDKIs there any advantage? This sounds like Vista: it was dead before it came alive...Perhaps I'll download it and try it, but definitely I will not pay for it, neither their addons. Dev team have to think that a lot of people are still using FS9, even though it is an old peace of soft, and the reason of that is that flight sim enthusiastics prefered realism, in planes and ATC, good networks (no Windows Alive), to take control of their own peace of software (SDK), good addons (like PMDG, Flythemaddog, Aerosoft, etc)

Edited by fenixtucu

I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves. We don't really know how Microsoft is going to handle this in the end. Nor do we know what the final product will look like. Microsoft rarely gets a break. We hated FSX and now that we see Flight, we all want FSX. MS probably lost a pile of cash on FSX. They build what is probably the most complex piece of software most of us are ever likely to use and sell it for a fraction of what we're prepared to pay for many addons. We're totally dedicated, but there aren't enough of us. And as far as FSX being clunky (and it is a mess); that's probably because MS tried to maintain backward compatibility for the small army (us) of users who spent a bundle of money on addons and hardware. If they'd said, "OK here's the new version and it will run like a Swiss watch, but nothing you have now will work with it"; we'd all go nuts.If MS can make the simple version pay with a broad audience, then perhaps there will be a serious version that will blow X-Plane and FSX out of the water. Or, think of this, what if MS markets a consumer version of Prepar3D alongside of Flight? Maybe MS has been involved behind the scenes with Lockheed cleaning up and modernizing the simulator. Or perhaps, once Flight is up and running, the prohibition against Lockheed selling Prepar3D to consumers will go away.This is all speculation and maybe far fetched; but no more so than some of what I've been reading. I think the point is, let's see what happens. Microsoft didn't get to be the most successful high tech company in history by being stupid. If Flight is an online arcade game, not many of us will go there. If it's got a serious level but is not compatible with current addon aircraft, scenery, etc; how many of us will go there anyway?Moderator: This is long. Its intent is not inflammatory. If you feel it's out of place, please delete it. Perhaps I'm being a devil's advocate, but there is no intent to 'diss' any of the other posters. I'm just as concerned and curious about the future of our pastime.

I'm not angry at MS for not maintaining backward compatibility. But I'm mad at them for apparently completely blocking us out - they are basically saying it's for everyone, both simple and hardcore. While right now it looks all but that. And that has been confirmed.As of current status, no ActiveSky, no texture addons, no VATSIM, no PMDG... sorry, but count me out Microsoft. And probably the majority of this community.Apparently Microsoft failed, or decided not, to make a good platform, worthy FSX successor, which brings good performance and is open like the old one.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.