Sign in to follow this  
Muskoka

Beta 10

I at first thought this to MM but after stopiing and then rerunning the sim, fpa seemed to come back to fairly close to what they were.
You were right. I had run the sim immediately after downloading the update, but now that I've exited and restarted, looks like I'm back to my previous performance.

Beta 10 seems generally less stable than the previous version. I'm getting frequent crashes to desktop after doing mundane things like switching to a new airport. Also, framerates seem overall less stable than before. Laminar had things pretty nicely smoothed out for a bit, but now I seem to be getting the wildly fluctuating framerates that we saw in the early days.Not too surprising, I suppose, since this latest version made some changes to the rendering engine. Hopefully things will be locked down soon and they can start optimizing in earnest.

My machine is a pretty dated affair but amazingly I can still get usable performance if I sacrifice some graphic options. Beta 10 seems to work really well with my setup. I haven't had a CTD with XPX ever as yet. I'm sure they will get it all ironed out. Lets face it they have been quite dynamic so far since the initial release.Progress being made for new users too I noted.

Make sure your rudder pedals are calibrated correctly in their native control center. I thought my CH pedals were OK but on the spur of the moment I calibrated them using the CH control center. I was surprised to find they weere out of calibration, in fact I had been considering replacng the pontinometers (sic) as my pedals are getting quite old. Was plesantly surprised that a good calibraion was all they needed.
Yes, I will have to check the calibration. While I was running the demo I actually solved this issue. Can´t remember what I did, though. Might be because of the f33? Haven´t really tried any of the default planes since I got the full version when I think about it.. Hmmm..

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Now that beta 10 has turned XP's clouds to mashed potatoes.........I don't think that my FSX default clouds look too bad. No 3rd party weather additions, and taken with real weather a few minutes ago.

Hi Goran, people can use whatever term they want, for the most part they are terrible when compared to Beta 7. I for one hope that they are "fixed" soon, as well do many others. This was one "big" step backwards with cloud visuals.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Hi GlenI guess it comes down to personal opinion.Personally, I wouldn't call them "terrible". Maybe I'm too flexible. I'm one of those types that doesn't complain if I get less coke in my cup than what I'm supposed to get.I won't put an "OUT OF BETA" stamp on anything Laminar does until around 10.2 to 10.3.

Goran, I guess what frustrates me (and I'm not new to Xplane), is that I / we paid good money for this program, and why can't he (we know who) just leave things alone that work well. There was absoloutly nothing wrong with the way the sky / atmosphere looked in Beta 7. It did not need to be touched at all. The settings for clouds worked very well, and made it possible to tweak the clouds to your individual liking. If they were hitting your system too hard, you had the option to turn them down. Now (presently) we are stuck with basically no control, and quite frankly the end result does not for the most part look good (I didn't say terrible). With the amount of backlash that I've seen here and at other sites with regards to the clouds, I don't understand why it takes so long to correct something that was not an improvement, and in fact is a step backwards. Too long, yes, more than a day is too long. This Beta 10 was not a step forward, and needs to be corrected a.s.a.p. Give us the option too step back, then take as much time as he pleases to monkey around, and then make it available to the public when it's worthy of being offered, this wasn't.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I think they are dumbing it down in order to create better frame rates and still allow for one to turn up the sliders. My AA has been dumbed down considerably. The end result allowed me to turn everything up. Oh well.Bob

the clouds ARE a big hit on many systems. Set your weather to IFR with 10NM vis (should yield overcast skies, but not put your distant visibility too short) and look at your FPS. Now clear the wx with CAVOK and look at your FPS. I know with me, CAVOK gives 40+ FPS on my LAPTOP and 23FPS with BKN-OVC conditions...

Hi Bob,The option(s) to allow better frame rates were already there, the 3 sliders we had in the cloud section. It couldn't have been any easier. I can set them full now and the sky looks worse than it did before where I had everyting around 50%. I suppose it's fine to streamline the setting system, provided you can at least achive what you had before, that's no longer possible.GlenEdit: Aaron, I don't set the weather, never fly with anything but the real thing. I guess the point is they looked good / great before and if you needed to turn them down you could by adjusting the variuos settings. With the current options which I have had at full, it doesn't look as good as it did before with the settings at 50%. This isn't that hard to figure out, we have less control and it looks worse.

Edited by Muskoka