Sign in to follow this  
Thruster

Flight Video from CES

so is Flight beta the whole package
Of course not! Having been in beta's before it is a BETA, the NDA will have had disclaimers about finished product all over it, I suspect..and you are exactly right about Hawaii; even now, there are only so many addons for such a small place. I cannot believe though, that Flight will not be the whole world. MS are not that stupid to make a product only Hawaiians will recognise and like :)
You wont buy Flight, it will be free. Then you can buy M$ quality addons such as small regions and planes for it.
Which I'm also _kind_ of OK with, as long as at some point there will be proper addons and an SDK so the genii on this forum can go away and do an ORBX with it..heck, Fullterrain may already be working on one, we just won't get to hear about it yet! I just really don't want ads, and usually free means ad-sponsored, but in MS's case probably doesn't. Not like they need the revenue, is it

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

The video gave answers to two questions: First, there is no option for real weather. Second, there is no ATC.Which makes it pretty useless for me as a flightsim.

Guest comma

Actually graphics seems good. I like it.Tips : I can launch FSX, get the C172 or the ultralight in freeflight or in mission, switch to outside rear view of the aircraft and DO EXACTLY THE SAME THING as on the video. I can even do it with a mouse or a gamepad controller. On FSX. Shocking !Looking forward to buy Europe territory, mesh and landclass from your store, credit card is ready. Keep the good work !PS / please the north korea communist komrad pvjinflight don't respond to me. I really think any people writing "M$" should join in an "under 13 or non shaved weed smokers" forum area and fight the capitalism world to death.

Edited by comma

Of course not! Having been in beta's before it is a BETA, the NDA will have had disclaimers about finished product all over it, I suspect..and you are exactly right about Hawaii; even now, there are only so many addons for such a small place. I cannot believe though, that Flight will not be the whole world. MS are not that stupid to make a product only Hawaiians will recognise and like :)Which I'm also _kind_ of OK with, as long as at some point there will be proper addons and an SDK so the genii on this forum can go away and do an ORBX with it..heck, Fullterrain may already be working on one, we just won't get to hear about it yet! I just really don't want ads, and usually free means ad-sponsored, but in MS's case probably doesn't. Not like they need the revenue, is it
I'm speculating here as usual, so in my honest opinion MS did not close the door to 3RD party developers without reasons....does not work like that..and it does not mean that door is closed for ever....I don't know but how about if one wanted a bigger piece of the pie.....or if they were told from MS what part of the world or what addons they were allowed to develop...I think the problem is deeper.@darem, so that's it, that can't be plug in or added to Flight, so from your statement Flight as it is right now is the final product....link please.Edit: Is the vid. you are reffering to not a little more compare to other vid. from before? What's next? Edited by alainneedle1

Second, there is no ATC
I've seen this stated more than once, but a Stearman taking off from a small field in Hawaii (in a closed BETA) would not have ATC, surely? Where does it say that there is NO ATC at all, ever? Not trying to be clever, I'd just like to know how ppl know this (and IMHO, there isn't much of an ATC in FSX, either! - Yes, I know it's there, and it gets you from A to B but it is still rubbish (and not why I use FSX)
MS did not close the door to 3RD party developers without reasons
Again, Alain, I don't think anyone can say that yet, can they? There is no SDK talked about (or IS there under the NDA - we'll not know!) but then there's no SDK yet for NGX, as their legal-eagles are all over it atm. Who knows what MS will release down the line?

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Thanks for that video :( :( Bestt part of my day so far man .......
This just has to be the "Flight" Dev team at work!!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I have to say, and this is my final word about Flight (these forums are just too hot and uninformed for me. Too much speculation and not enough FACT!)I like that video, and I like the changes that I like, and I don't like the changes that I don't like! it looks a bit like a vanilla first-released FSX with a graphics addon package - but then perhaps that's all Flight is for now, who knows? Not me, that's for sure

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

It's fs4 game modes with better graphics, but at least in fs4 I used to fly KSFO to KORDIn the immortal words of Charlie Brown sir - good grief :Hypnotized:edit - I have to keep reminding myself that 'it's not aimed at me, it's not aimed at me, it's not aimed at me' :vava:which is kind of ironic - this 'game' is not 'aimed' at me...Big%20Grin.gifnever mind

Edited by MarkRey

Regards,

Mark

nvm

Edited by OHN

You must look in the right place
Maybe...... but don't forget that there will be *NO* 3rd party SDK, and that is the real killer here. They also cut the 3rd party add-on developers out of the loop a few months back. Going to be pretty hard to convince them to return.Even if Flight does, eventually, maybe, turn out to be the FSX 11 we desire, they lost me.Best regards,Robin.

SDK has been talked about, anyone need a job?Are you passionate about technology, games, entertainment, and software development? Do you want to be part of a team carrying on the legacy of Microsoft Flight Simulator – one of Microsoft’s longest running entertainment franchises? Are you interested in learning (and testing!) how a single application can render the planet, simulate the world, and provide unique entertaining gameplay experiences? If you answered yes to any – or all – of these, then keep reading! This position may be for you!Microsoft Game Studios is looking for a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) to join us in building Microsoft Flight (http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/) – an all new entertainment product utilizing Microsoft’s Games for Windows Live infrastructure. We are looking for an experienced candidate to work on our SDK (Software Development Kit) and tools pipeline, who is motivated to make a significant impact to our business, and drive great customer experiences - for our gamers, our internal developers, and our external development partners.If you have the skills and the passion, want to work on a Games for Windows LIVE product, and are looking for challenge in a fun and fast environment, then you should join us!What we offer:• OWN the testing of the Microsoft Flight SDK! (Learn how we build the planet and simulate the world!)• WORK with a highly-skilled, creative, and driven Test and product development team. Have fun while doing it!• DYNAMIC fast-paced development cycles, small teams, rapid iteration, and strong feature ownership!• COMMUNICATE with our passionate external development community. Help ensure we are delivering a product that delights our customers and meets their needs!• DRIVE and develop our new test automation infrastructure, including ownership of how to best integrate with our SDK and tools pipeline!• LEARN how to build and test games utilizing common industry tools and Games for Windows LIVE! Create fun!• OPPORTUNITY to be creative in solving interesting technical challenges!• EXPERIENCE in the video game industry!Primary Responsibilities will include:• Own the testing and quality of major features areas such as the Microsoft Flight SDK, the content tools pipeline, and the environment & modeling of the entire EARTH.• Work with Dev, PM, Art, and UX leads to establish a quality bar that meets the needs of both internal and external parties. Be an advocate of building testability, security, and release criteria into product design.• Contribute towards the overall test strategy and business direction of the team.• Develop tools and automation to test the tools pipeline and/or environment features for the PLANET.• Drive external feedback and quality concerns back into internal development for improvement of future releases.A great candidate should have the following skills and experience:• Experience shipping high-quality software on-time and end-to-end ownership of a feature across 1 complete retail product release cycle OR multiple, more frequent releases of a smaller product, such as web experiences or an SDK.• Exceptional testing skills and a firm understanding of testing methodologies.• Demonstrable proficiency with C# or C++ with solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals• Proven success in utilizing test automation frameworks to generate quality UI or API-level automated tests• Hands-on knowledge of the overall product development lifecycle and software test engineering components.• Excellent communication, organization, and multitasking abilities• Extreme passion for shipping quality computer games.A BS or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is preferred.Experience with game engines, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Direct X, or SQL is desirable but not required.

That's nothing else but an arcade game! Sonic the Hedgehog with wings. There was no trace of any flight dynamics. More than once he had the wings vertical and he didn't loose any height at all!!!vololiberista

Maybe...... but don't forget that there will be *NO* 3rd party SDK, and that is the real killer here. They also cut the 3rd party add-on developers out of the loop a few months back. Going to be pretty hard to convince them to return.Even if Flight does, eventually, maybe, turn out to be the FSX 11 we desire, they lost me.Best regards,Robin.
Have they all broke their NDA?Can the SKD be used under MS's rules? FSX's SDK was released without any strings attached to it .....I don't know but looking at old post (before the beta release) one can laugh at some, will the same thing happen again....who know we all may be laughing at mine in 6 months + ..... :( Edited by alainneedle1

Please tell me (by looking at what you saw already) why in hell will you need a system with 6GB of rams and Window 7 64-bit to run Flight, so is Flight beta the whole package?
I think MS is just screwing with us again.Flight is a 32-bit app, which benefits from 64-bit because the OS can live in RAM side-by-side with a 4GB game without having to page. So does every other 32-bit app, including FSX. 6GB is a number taken out of the air that is > 4GB and 2x3 for triple-channel RAM.My guess is that someone saw our speculation about the 10GB space requirement and now threw out 30GB, it could have been any number, even as high as 100GB and it would still be meaningless. It tells us nothing about what size area will be covered as space is easy to fill with photo-scenery.

@darem, so that's it, that can't be plug in or added to Flight, so from your statement Flight as it is right now is the final product....link please.
I consider real world weather and ATC the BASICS of a flight sim (not of a flight game, but of a flight sim). Right now, what we see in the vids is a pimped up FSX engine with better autogen and textures (kudos to ORBX), ugly clouds and a very restricted area to fly in with two basic GA planes. Nowhere is a hint that this game will evolve to a flight sim, covering the world in a way that you could fly from A to B. Nowhere is a hint that there will be ATC or real world weather, AI traffic - the only thing we heard so far is that you will be able to add the other isles in Hawaii.They stated that flight simmers will be pleased. Well, right now, there is NOTHING in there to be pleased with. And lets be honest: Flying Orbx PNW in FSX on a up to date computer with Rex AS2012 weather, MyTraffic X, Radar Contact or PFE and Carenado planes looks and FEELS way better than what has been shown in the videos so far.Neither Flight nor XPlane X (from what I have seen so far) will dethrone the champ in the near future. Which is a real pity, because the champ is getting old and dated, but it's a reality.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.