Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brendan Calkins

how many fps do you get?

I get about 30fps, depending whats happening, Thats with REX, GEpro, Activesky, Some AI from WOAI and also payware aircraft(mostly IFLY's 737)

how many fps do you get? is 27 fps good?
This is a very relative question.How many FPS with what addons (airports, aircraft, panel, clouds, wx, traffic, tools, etc), what settings, what PC, what system?I for instance may see frames between 18 and 30 (most of the time close to 30) having them locked at 30.If I unlock, they might go very high sometimes.In general though, I would find 27 FPS more than enough for an enjoyable experience. At least on departure and finals.

Lock your Frame rate to 20 FPS (max 25 FPS).This will resuly in consistant; "smoothness"..... :( ...!Anything greater is wasting resoures, annd creating erratic flying, (no longer smooth).(The human eye cannot detect any Frame Rates greater than 25 FPS anyway!).It is vital that the Frame Rate is LOCKED to 20 FPS for on-line Multiplayer flights!This prevents erratic behavour between visible aircraft during the Session (leaping around!), and eases the load on the Server!Setting Unlimited FPS is a waste of time...trust me!Paul.... :( ...!

Oh Paul Paul Paul...That is absolute garbage and has been dis-proven time and time again... it really irks the heck out of me when people spread complete misinformation like that.

Anything greater than 20 FPS is wasting resources and creating erratic flying?
BS
Human eye can't detect more than 25 FPS.
BS
The eye doesn't capture frames like a video device, the brain processes a stream of information from the optic nerve. The only real, practical limitations on the eye are tracking speed, focus speed and lighting conditions. The 'best' frame rate for viewing something is entirely dependent on the media and its characteristics. The attached link is interesting and informative.Some people say that you can't detect the difference past 60 FPS (in video games), others say 100 is where you can't perceive the difference. It's definitely media dependent. Source(s):http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.htmlhttp://www.100fps.co..._humans_see.htmhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
Unlimited a waste of time? BSWhen FPS is set to unlimited and locked with an external frame limiter or used in conjunction with VSync and you can sustain 60 FPS on a 60 HZ monitor the experience is night and day over 20 FPS in any situation anytime.
Also something to remember: frames rendered in movies and TV are radically different than frames rendered on a computer screen. Both movies and television use motion blur, so that very high motion doesn't appear choppy even at a paltry 30FPS. Your computer doesn't perform motion blur (in most circumstances) so the frames can be very jerky during a quick movement.
Not sure about multiplayer but I would bet that is incorrect information as well.Not intended to be rude but your information is just dated and wrong. All of that stuff about above 20fps being erratic I have just never even heard before and couldn't be any further from the truth.Cheers,-P

27 FPS is a respectable performance result . . . if you don't see any freezing, stuttering, or other abnormality in the display, never look a gift horse in the mouth. I start worrying, or know that my box is lugging when I get down to 14-18; otherwise, I leave everything alone. I think I've spent more time tweaking for that elusive last FPS, than I have flying!

I think I've spent more time tweaking for that elusive last FPS, than I have flying!
How true. I guess most of us have a history of that...Microsoft Flight Tweakulator.

how many fps do you get? is 27 fps good?
1. I got 22-34.2. 27 is relatively good.

I get about 25-30 with 3840x1200 pixels resolution over two big screens and using all sorts of commercial and custom (self-made) add-ons. I do sometimes go down to the 15-20 range when there is enough weather and AI in the area. I tend not to look at the FPS unless I really start to see some problems, otherwise if you can't see anything wrong, why go looking for it?! I could get up to 50-60 with one screen, but the extra view makes more difference to me than the extra FPS...27 sounds quite ok - such high FPS were a distant dream for most of my simming, until the last year or so when I've been able to have a powerful enough computer to max everything out and still get reasonable FPS. Until then I always tried to lock at 20 for smoothness (which worked, for me).Geoff

Frames locked at 20.Never really look anymore.It flies.Andy
20? it's quite tight. Are you using very demanding add ons or it just suits your system?

20? it's quite tight. Are you using very demanding add ons or it just suits your system?
Nothing demanding.Cant be bothered to fiddle anymore. 20 is fine with me ,its smooth ,it works ,i fly.Cheers to you Andy

Nothing demanding.Cant be bothered to fiddle anymore. 20 is fine with me ,its smooth ,it works ,i fly.Cheers to youAndy
affirm :). Simplify and fly.G'd day

25 locked, but I am using 7 screens.In MP locking to 25 is best, since fs9 tends to send position and data between every frame, and high fps seems to clutter the servers.

This is a very well timed topic as I was going to start a very similar one. What I was going to say was that I have had FS9 for quite a few years now and in my 'young, free and single' days I spent a lot of time on it but now time has moved on I don't seem to have a lot of time now, I spend more time tweaking and adding/downloading programmes to my flight sim rather than flying it.But there was something I have only just learnt after all this time, and this is going to sound really dumb but after all these years I never knew how many FPS I was getting. I always read form othere other people writing in about how many they were getting and I always wondered just how they knew and I didn't, until I just discovered by pressing shift and z! Doh!You learn something new everyday! Anyway, what I was going to ask and I think it's kind of been answered in this topic, is that I always have my FPS set as unlimited and my flight sim seemed to be ok, that is until I discovered just how many FPS i was getting with all my add-ons, AI aircraft, REX etc and I was shocked that it was struggling to get above 15.So my question is this, does it make much difference if I leave my settiing as unlimited or should I 'lock' them at a much lower rate?

If you can not sustain the maximum refresh rate of your monitor, in my case 60hz so 60fps then you should always lock. IF you can sustain 60 FPS on a 60 hz monitor nothing will ever look smoother...So in your case mark I would definitely lock it down....-P

The age old FPS discussion lives on!I found the following link very interesting. In the comparison, try to track the lower right corner of the box with your eye as it makes a single revolution:http://www.boallen.c...ps-compare.htmlI must say that 60 FPS is smoother than 30 FPS.
Great comparison!!!! :( im%20Not%20Worthy.gifI have always said 60FPS on a 60 Hz monitor is the ultimate simming experience if you can achieve it... That is my EXACT experience in the sim as well... 15-25 FPS, I notice the stuttering horribly but perhaps that is because I am used to 60FPS which does not have a single stutter anywhere so even 30 FPS which is MUCH smoother still results in a noticeable stutter for me, especially in critical areas of flight...I know others say, 20 or 25 FPS is great but once you get used to 60 anything else provides an immediately noticeable stutter and despite what others argue (to me in my opinion (insert disclaimer here) the difference is as visible as the bouncing box in your example... Funny thing is when I used to fly locked at 36 FPS I always thought it was butter smooth, now I go back and compare it is literally night and day.Edit, thank you again for that link, it has always been impossible to put what I see and experience into words but there is no way to debate your link. Regardless of what you "think" you are getting, 15 FPS, 30 FPS and 60 FPS are very different visual perceptions or experiences...

Great comparison!!!!I have always said 60FPS on a 60 Hz monitor is the ultimate simming experience if you can achieve it... That is my EXACT experience in the sim as well... 15-25 FPS, I notice the stuttering horribly but perhaps that is because I am used to 60FPS which does not have a single stutter anywhere so even 30 FPS which is MUCH smoother still results in a noticeable stutter for me, especially in critical areas of flight...
Thanks for the comments!I suspect this is why my AI aircraft appear choppy when viewed from the side on take-off. I used to think that MS plotted AI take-off movements using large increments to increase performance in other areas. After all, there's so much to do, in so little time!

Thanks for the comments!I suspect this is why my AI aircraft appear choppy when viewed from the side on take-off. I used to think that MS plotted AI take-off movements using large increments to increase performance in other areas. After all, there's so much to do, in so little time!
For me it wasn't just AI on takeoff, even at altitude an AI plane passing the other way would always have at least the tiniest jerkiness to it, sometime worse and they would literally going stuttering by with no fluidity at all... Now, they pass completely fluidly, contrails smoothly forming behind and they are gone in the blink of an eye just like the rw... The immersion level when everything is perfectly fluid is beyond compare. Again, i know others will argue but you can't deny that link when you can see the difference between 15,30 and 60 FPS. If your monitor is updating 4x and your screen is updating 1x or 2x in that 4x refresh you will get jerkiness or loss of fluidity. If your screen and monitor are both updating 1-1 and are in perfect sync, no loss of fluidity.... It is one of the things that boggles me about FSX and people claiming it is smooth at 15 FPS. Unless there is some advanced interlacing going on then 15 FPS is 15 FPS regardless and will NEVER be smooth... Perhaps also some peoples eyes are much more sensitive to it than others...