Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asanal

737-600 NGX poor performance in turbulence

In last two days I made two flights:1-Yesterday CYHZ (Halifax)- KJFK. Climb was normal until I reached FL260 wind was gusting from 330 90K+15k. I reduced the Speed to turbulence speed, 737-600 was performing poor. LNAV cannot maintain flightpath. A/P cannot functions,Heading Hold lost and bank angle all over the place.Even I reduced bank-angle to 10, Still plane banking MORE THEN 30. Plane total lost control and before IT dive, I took control and flight done manually.I descended to smooth altitude FL170 Wind was 38K from 300 and steady2- Today I made flight with 737-600X from KALB (Albany, NY) to Cleveland. Before I reached to Fl 240, Wind started to gusting from 328 70+20K. 737-600 cannot hold LNAV and VNAV and manually I made Fl 260. Wind was from 320/95K was gusting +10K. 737-600NGX was a flying like a child kite. A/P lost control, LNAV. Heading.Altitude Hold and VNAV were gone .Plane was flying all over the sky. Passengers were screaming. Before loosing the plane, I took controls manually and struggled long minutes to stabilize the flight. Then decent to Fl200. At that altitude wind was steady Headwind 40k. A/P engage, :LNAV,VNAV .Heading,Altitude Hold all OK again. Then wind started gusting fro 328/40+12K. 737-600 again was kite. I disconnect all these items and in snow storm I made IFR approach to Cleveland and landed.I think this is not the way 737 should fly.Now I will take 727X and make a test flight before weather changes. May be I can determine what went wrong .

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's not the plane, it's the weather performing poorly. There are several posts out there explaining why. I'll leave it up to you to search for them, or someone who's feeling a little more helpful here can explain, but basically, there's no way a real aircraft would survive some of the stuff FSX throws at it.Your options are an add-on weather program with smoothing options, FSUIPC with smoothing enabled, or no weather, really.

I think this is not the way 737 should fly.
How do you know?When real airplanes fly into heavy turbulence AP disconnects and all kind of stuff happens.Pilots are forced to fly manually and get out of bad weather.And like it was stated above - FSX has its own issues with simulating winds and weather and this was discussed here countless times.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Should you decide to bone up on weather management and FSUIPC (esp. should you purchase ASE or AS2012) and then fly the aeroplane as it was designed to- i.e. appropriately disconnect AT at least (obtaining turbulence N1 from the CDU) you will find she does quite well. In cases of severe turbulence it is appropriate to disconnect the AP and allow for deviations from heading and altitude- concentrating on attitude and airspeed while keeping ATC in the loop. Thankfully other aircraft in the area will be experiencing relatively similar course deviations. Let us know how you get on after implementing some weather smoothing techniques........

Thanks for your replys.Let me see if same conditions will develop with other airplanes. I have a long experience with windsmootings settings. I have REX weather engine.I hope I am wrong.One thing I should add. Just recently I changed Bufferpools to "0" in FSX,cfg file. Is it posible changing to "0" developes this kind problems?

The introduction file for the NGX talks about the FSX poor tubulence simulation as well, and it has severe wind swings that are absolutely unrealistic.Try these settings with a registered version of FSUIPC:

Let me see if same conditions will develop with other airplanes.
It really doesn't prove anything since other airplanes may on purpose dumb-down their reactions to violent weather in their air-files.

Michael,"It really doesn't prove anything since other airplanes may on purpose dumb-down their reactions to It really doesn't prove anything since other airplanes may on purpose dumb-down their reactions to violent weather in their air-files"I just completed KALB-KCLE flight with 727X, Yes it was bumpy and wind from 326/87+8kts and gusting. No incident happened. May be this developer find the wind smoothing solution as you described above.(Just a JOKE)Dan,Thanks for your FSUIPC settings. I know this is the best. I will make the changes and I hope I dont experinece again with this problem 727x.jpg

Dan,I made the changes.Test flight approach to KCLE. Minimums, snow and fog. I nailed it.http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7341/727x2.jpg

Try this:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/350389-my-weather-config-for-pmdg-planes-part-ii/

Will,Thanks for your info. I just asked Paul helps with REX2 users.