Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not that great of an article, but thought I would post anyways.http://lenzfire.com/...g-review-87206/Some of the things don't make much sense like RAM speed etc. Their sample got to 4.8 ghz, but supposed to be 10% quicker clock for clock; but that 10% may loose some of that in high oc's, but future samples may yield better oc ability than this sample. Most are aware of this already. Not sure what is ment by the CPU got hot and single threaded and double threaded applications and different ghz levels..

2800MHz RAM. Wowzers.Also exciting that if you're willing to forgo PCIe3.0 you can stick IB in your Z68 motherboard as an interim upgrade. But that's been the word for a while, now.

2800MHz RAM. Wowzers.Also exciting that if you're willing to forgo PCIe3.0 you can stick IB in your Z68 motherboard as an interim upgrade. But that's been the word for a while, now.
Glad that P67 is is compatible as well.. Might pick up one of these in a few months :D

Guest jahman

IB OC'd at 4.5 GHz = 5 GHz SB-equivalent performance for the masses! (With some lucky dudes OCing IB to 5 GHz getting 5.5 GHz SB-equivalent performance!) Will the autogen slider hit the right stop now?Still, I would wait for the second generation masks for improved OC-ability and general stability of the processor, as well as wait for the IB-specific chipset.Cheers,- jahman.

Still, I would wait for the second generation masks for improved OC-ability and general stability of the processor, as well as wait for the IB-specific chipset.
Remember that IB is a die shrink, not a new architecture. All of SB's "short comings" (are there any?) will be ironed out with IB.

Guest jahman
Remember that IB is a die shrink, not a new architecture. All of SB's "short comings" (are there any?) will be ironed out with IB.
A die shrink requires a new mask (especially when the gate technology is changed!) Masks need to be "ironed out" not for logic defects as much as for optical defects, as well as for optical process improvements, all relating to how to better etch gates that are too small (they always are!) for the wavelength used. Specifically, this means using wave equations to mathematically model expected interference patterns to anticipate etching errors and work them out by slightly adjusting the mask.I'd post the link, but Wikipedia is going through with a blackout due to SOPA: Next election day, remember to thank the politicians in Washington! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.

A die shrink requires a new mask (especially when the gate technology is changed!) Masks need to be "ironed out" not for logic defects as much as for optical defects, as well as for optical process improvements, all relating to how to better etch gates that are too small (they always are!) for the wavelength used. Specifically, this means using wave equations to mathematically model expected interference patterns to anticipate etching errors and work them out by slightly adjusting the mask.I'd post the link, but Wikipedia is going through with a blackout due to SOPA: Next election day, remember to thank the politicians in Washington! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.
Fair enough. I'll take your word for it. I always forget not to get you on a physics rant. :unknw: HahaIn my experience, newer steppings, etc. within die shrinks haven't made much difference over the years.And this wiki black out is miffing me! I never knew how many times in a day I glance at a wiki page!

Guest jahman
Fair enough. I'll take your word for it. I always forget not to get you on a physics rant. :unknw: Haha
Hey, I'll take IFR lessons from you any day! :Big Grin:
In my experience, newer steppings, etc. within die shrinks haven't made much difference over the years.
10% IB over SB performance, as per quoted article test results.
And this wiki black out is miffing me! I never knew how many times in a day I glance at a wiki page!
Mask improvements are called "OPC - Optical Proximity Correction". In the photo mask below:the thick green lines are the actual circuits. The thinner lines are not transferred to the silicon and only assist in focussing the beam. The zig-zag waviness is the OPC bit.The next image is a close-up of OPC Correction. The desired shape is in blue (includes most of the red except the corners), the OPC shape is in green and the actual shape that's constructed on the silicon is in red.And that's how they get away with printing 22 nm circuits on silicon! It is rather amazing...Cheers,- jahman.

Hey, I'll take IFR lessons from you any day! :Big Grin:10% IB over SB performance, as per quoted article test results.Mask improvements are called "OPC - Optical Proximity Correction". In the photo mask below:the thick green lines are the actual circuits. The thinner lines are not transferred to the silicon and only assist in focussing the beam. The zig-zag waviness is the OPC bit.The next image is a close-up of OPC Correction. The desired shape is in blue (includes most of the red except the corners), the OPC shape is in green and the actual shape that's constructed on the silicon is in red.And that's how they get away with printing 22 nm circuits on silicon! It is rather amazing...Cheers,- jahman.
An amazing age we live in!

I wonder how many people in this forum that are going to upgrade to these chips are going to upgrade their motherboards too.

It will be a small upgrade, not sure how much IPC difference between the chips when both are oc'd to 4.5 or so maybe 2-3%, I doubt 10% will stand there at highish oc levels. Also, they were testing a 3.4 ghz (2600k) vs the new IB that starts out at 3.5 ghz (3770K) thats 3% difference there in clockspeed alone.As long as you have a chipset that supports pci 3.0, if that is of use to you, then there is no real difference between the new z77 chipset and the current SB chipsets. You can use IB in all SB chipsets and all SB motherboards via a bios update for older boards. Still good to see some improvement in a die shrunk; looks like they are not going for higher clock speeds yet on the 22nm, maybe later...

I wonder how many people in this forum that are going to upgrade to these chips are going to upgrade their motherboards too.
I will probably upgrade both mobo and processor. I figure I can sell my 2600k and get the 2500k IB equivalent, sell the Z68 Deluxe and get the Z77 Pro equivalent, and lose very little to no money in the whole process. I'll time that with the release of Kepler and pick up a very high-end card for my system!

Not that great of an article, but thought I would post anyways.http://lenzfire.com/...g-review-87206/Some of the things don't make much sense like RAM speed etc. Their sample got to 4.8 ghz, but supposed to be 10% quicker clock for clock; but that 10% may loose some of that in high oc's, but future samples may yield better oc ability than this sample. Most are aware of this already. Not sure what is ment by the CPU got hot and single threaded and double threaded applications and different ghz levels..
These two comments don't look too attractive:
  • Theoretically the temperature should be low but under load the CPU temperature readings are high
  • Stability of multi-threaded benchmark has been achieved at a frequency of 4.8 GHz only

Where does IB gets it 10% bump, assuming was saying clock for clock? What is the next Tick for Intel CPUs? I am wondering if the trend towards dedicating more towards GPU performance is where most of the upcoming improvements really will focus on. 10% improvements are really uninspiring to me. Why bother! However, as I'm still on Core 2 Quad I should see maybe 60% bump w/ IB, or 50% w/ SB. May have to hang around till the next Tock cycle hits and who know maybe I can get double the fun!

I just realised that we have like buttons in these forums and it was your post that i noticed it on. As for the question, at the moment I am saving for an ASUS Transformer Prime or Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 as I have thought that my computer is very good, compared to most household and even many gaming rigs. I figure I will upgrade on the next tock and hopefully be amazed instead of thinking, huh, this is a nice change.

Guest jahman
Where does IB gets it 10% bump, assuming was saying clock for clock?
For example, can be from increased L1/L2/L3 cache sizes and faster RAM access.
What is the next Tick for Intel CPUs?
After the 22 nm IB Tick comes 22 nm Haswell Tock.Cheers,- jahman.

For example, can be from increased L1/L2/L3 cache sizes and faster RAM access.After the 22 nm IB Tick comes 22 nm Haswell Tock.Cheers,- jahman.
Will Haswell run on 1155? Will IPC be improved? I know that the series is a few years away but, I am interested to know these kind of questions for the series that might be the cure for FSX once and for all.

Remember that this leaked test was on an early engineering sample. Whether Ivy Bridge will be a worthwhile upgrade from Sandy Bridge will be a lot clearer shortly. I think it will be. If not, I will hold onto what I have for awhile longer than expected.Kind regards,

Guest jahman
Will Haswell run on 1155?
Haswell being a new microarchitecture (a "tick"), most likely not.
the series that might be the cure for FSX once and for all
For those OCing their CPU to 5 GHz, SB already is the cure!Same for those OCing IB (when released) to 4.5 GHz, assuming a 10% clock-for-clock performance improvement over SB. Those OCing to 5.5 GHz (and I'm guessing this will be possible with Tri-Gate) could sport a 21% improvement over SB at 5 GHz.FSX
will only require 4 GHz with Haswell (assuming a 10% improvement over IB). Those able to OC Haswell to 5.5 GHz would get a 33% improvement over SB.So as these new CPUs are introduced what you will see is the 10% that get "satisfaction" with SB will increase to definitely most with IB and to absolutely all with Haswell. (Then again the appearance of 8192 x 8192 textures and 10 cm/Px sceneries will eat away at that satisfaction.)So what's the likely hood of a 10% improvement from SB to IB and another 10% to Haswell? Considering the massive investment need to develop each new CPU generation (new microarchitecture for a tick and new process -die shrink- for a tock), it would be foolish for Intel to make those investments without that 10% performance bump. It would also be a marketing flop brandwise and a financial flop stock-wise (as the assumed P/E Ratio was decreased by analysts).Cheers,- Jahman.

Haswell being a new microarchitecture (a "tick"), most likely not.For those OCing their CPU to 5 GHz, SB already is the cure!Same for those OCing IB (when released) to 4.5 GHz, assuming a 10% clock-for-clock performance improvement over SB. Those OCing to 5.5 GHz (and I'm guessing this will be possible with Tri-Gate) could sport a 21% improvement over SB at 5 GHz.FSX
will only require 4 GHz with Haswell (assuming a 10% improvement over IB). Those able to OC Haswell to 5.5 GHz would get a 33% improvement over SB.So as these new CPUs are introduced what you will see is the 10% that get "satisfaction" with SB will increase to definitely most with IB and to absolutely all with Haswell. (Then again the appearance of 8192 x 8192 textures and 10 cm/Px sceneries will eat away at that satisfaction.)So what's the likely hood of a 10% improvement from SB to IB and another 10% to Haswell? Considering the massive investment need to develop each new CPU generation (new microarchitecture for a tick and new process -die shrink- for a tock), it would be foolish for Intel to make those investments without that 10% performance bump. It would also be a marketing flop brandwise and a financial flop stock-wise (as the assumed P/E Ratio was decreased by analysts).Cheers,- Jahman.
Thanks for the in depth analysis. I wonder if I might hold off on IB.... So tempting though.... Those 3770K's seem like they have got some seriosuly OC'ing potential. Only worry is voltage.... :unsure:

Only worry is voltage.... :unsure:
Nothing to worry about Ben. Let Srdan blow his Ivy Bridge up with his high voltage while we catch the pieces! :Nerd:

Let Srdan blow his Ivy Bridge up with his high voltage while we catch the pieces! :Nerd:
:LMAO:

Guest jahman
Thanks for the in depth analysis.
You're welcome!
I wonder if I might hold off on IB.... So tempting though.... Those 3770K's seem like they have got some seriosuly OC'ing potential. Only worry is voltage.... :unsure:
And then of course you get PCIe 3 (2x the BW of PCIe2), plus native USB3 (5 GBit/Sec) support on IB MBs with the Panther Point chipset. So that's my aim for for my next PC upgrade.Cheers,- jahman.

Haswell seems to be 1150 pins.For me IB will run in the current MB with BIOS update. This time next year migrate to Haswell if IB doesn't finally do it for FSX.

Haswell being a new microarchitecture (a "tick"), most likely not.For those OCing their CPU to 5 GHz, SB already is the cure!Same for those OCing IB (when released) to 4.5 GHz, assuming a 10% clock-for-clock performance improvement over SB. Those OCing to 5.5 GHz (and I'm guessing this will be possible with Tri-Gate) could sport a 21% improvement over SB at 5 GHz.Cheers,- Jahman.
I love your analyses Jahman, don't know how spot on they are but they do sound so!OK, looking for your opinion on this as I can't recall if you chimed in on this topic previously: will water cooling give me the best shot at quiet & maximally over clocked CPU? Quiet and cool sure sounds appealing. And, how much risk is there in water leakage aka a catastrophic event? Thanks in advance for your opinion, which I value.Noel