Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Disrespectful to ACES?

Both calculations of ROI are based on subjective input data. It doesn't matter if the method is standardised or not. At some point someone must assume the probability of something happening in the future.Calculating ROI for an entertainment product is extremely difficult because so many aspects of the product is hard to quantify. Just look at all the singles, movies and games that came from nowhere and took the world by storm, and all the anticipated hits that crashed and burned and left record companies, movie and game studios with negative ROIs.
It rarely is someone's best guess. In a company it's generally a consensus opinion based on available information, previous experiernce and judgement. The results will also be subject to sensitivity analysis - how does the result change in response to changes in the probabilities?I never said it was perfect but it's the best that can be done and it's far better than just guessing.

I would consider more than just a "bit of a comeback."
It's about time! I posted here the other day that a couple of the racing game developers that were making games for consoles have moved back to the PC because they can make better games, at less cost than on a console. Not to mention PC games are more compelling-- games like Starcraft, Skyrim-- all the way to homebrew type games like Minecraft.

I'll be on that "ship of fools" with you then. I'm not a beta tester, I don't have any inside info, I'm not employed by Microsoft, and I only know what I've seen that is available to everyone else. I feel Flight has potential basing it on it's own merits, not comparing it to other programs...I would truly like to see Flight do well.What concerns me, and I've said it before, is some of the comments in these forums are NOT welcoming to other people joining the "virtual aviation crowd" - and this is one of the less rude forums! Someone googling MSFlight would get the impression that the current community doesn't want anyone new - that if you're not currently "part of the club", then you're not welcome.That's a little off topic...but the negativity wears me down.
Understand the negativity and all but if you read the older post is this insane "Flight" forum you will see that so many were saying no way this thing will be any other than FS11 and it will do this and it will then it will do that and as folks started to learn a few facts and leak them then the hords were screaming they are just sour grapes and liers. Well now the word has been spoken right from the mouth of the beast and the work is very much what the sour grapes and liers have been telling you for some time now. Now we have a forum full of marketing transplants from MS trying to convince you that just spend your money and it will get better. And NO I am not talking about positive folks like Stephen and Arwen who to their credit are trying to remaim positive. Positive is good, no doubt but sometimes you have to stop with the excuses and move on. So many of these post remind me of the blind guy who jumped from the 110th floor and after about 2 seconds he was heard to yell...you were all wrong! This does not hurt at all! I told....end of lesson :(

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Geez... I hope the boys from MS marketing send me that pay check soon... been hanging out for it. How many posts do we need before we stop having crap like that directed at us?Mike

Edited by Mickel

"over 250 million game-capable PCs will ship in 2011"TOTAL PC sales are only being forecast at about 350 million... a figure that has been downgraded several times over the last year of forecasting... And while, sure, all of them are technically "game-capable", I would question whether 2/3 of them are being bought for gaming, whereas 100% of game console sales represent gaming consoles.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall and know the true feelings of the original ACES team that are working on FLIGHT and if they truly like where Flight Simulator has gone.

Thanks, Shivers9 (I think).But what excuses have I ever made here for Flight? (Other than the FACT that it isn't finished yet).And Flight may yet grow into FSXI in a year or two (which has been a long-standing theory of mine).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

"over 250 million game-capable PCs will ship in 2011"TOTAL PC sales are only being forecast at about 350 million... a figure that has been downgraded several times over the last year of forecasting...And while, sure, all of them are technically "game-capable", I would question whether 2/3 of them are being bought for gaming, whereas 100% of game console sales represent gaming consoles.
That's hardware alone. Look at my earlier post with the stats on the revenue from the games themselves. And then take a look at this article: Understanding The Numbers: PC vs Console Sales FiguresHere's a quote: "Com­pared to 10 years ago there have been some major changes in the PC gam­ing indus­try, changes I con­sider for the bet­ter per­son­ally. The biggest change in the PC gam­ing indus­try is the shift towards dig­i­tal distribution."Is it any wonder way MS decided to build Flight using the Free Core / DLC method?

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

"over 250 million game-capable PCs will ship in 2011"TOTAL PC sales are only being forecast at about 350 million... a figure that has been downgraded several times over the last year of forecasting...And while, sure, all of them are technically "game-capable", I would question whether 2/3 of them are being bought for gaming, whereas 100% of game console sales represent gaming consoles.
Exactly! :smile"Now...... let's not loose sight of the subject at hand. Are we to get excited about a pretty flying game that was supposed to be a flight sim?i said a while ago (on this fourm) that the world haas become APP crazy and I feard that Flight would require one to purchaed one APP after another in a never ending money pit.It seems that my fears have come true!it goes wiout sayimng that Flight wiil ber an omline purche only and rquir you to be online when playing the game. It wiil be sort of like "world of war craft" requiring you to purchase this or that to constantly. That's fine for the "Big bang Therory" crowd but, not for flight simners..:( Edited by JoeD

hehe... some significant others would say that current flight sims are already a never ending money pit! My wishlist is currently more than I can justify. :Nail Biting:Mike D

hehe... some significant others would say that current flight sims are already a never ending money pit!
I don't have to hear it from my "significant other"... I hear ringing in my ears all by myself. :(

hehe... some significant others would say that current flight sims are already a never ending money pit! My wishlist is currently more than I can justify. :Nail Biting:Mike D
Yes, but at least you get the entire world out of the box and you do indeed get a real BOX!

Thanks, Shivers9 (I think).But what excuses have I ever made here for Flight? (Other than the FACT that it isn't finished yet).And Flight may yet grow into FSXI in a year or two (which has been a long-standing theory of mine).
I don't think you have made even one excuse ....that is why I excluded good positive folks like I did. It is more about the masses runing around with their hands over their ears. Yes Flight may some day be the new FSXI but at this point like the blind man we don't know how it is going to end. Not to worry you are doing a great job!!
I don't have to hear it from my "significant other"... I hear ringing in my ears all by myself. :(
Well Tom At least if Flight makes it through this mess we don't ever have to use real money to buy add ons...it is just Microsoft Bucks....lol Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I agree but in my case I see a contradiction as they will not see my money exept few bucks for starters unless I see where the river goes. so for me no river no money. and if that applies vice versa then it means no money and thus no river. I can just hope that the target audience throws in enough money to keep the river running until I am willing to jump in
I have to agree with this. MS cannot expect us to blindly invest good money into purchasing DLC when we do not know where the game is going. Time to end the secret squirrel stuff.

I have to agree with this. MS cannot expect us to blindly invest good money into purchasing DLC when we do not know where the game is going. Time to end the secret squirrel stuff.
+1 I won't invest until I know what the plans for it are

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.