Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

Why I'm sticking with FSX for the long term

You guys and girls know that you can have both on one computer? :( You don't have to choose...! I think MS Flight will be great for sightseeing: I expect to use it for GA/VFR more then FSX after getting some DLC. But FSX will be used for the 737NGX and flying high. I am very glad with both programs on my SSD. :(

Yeah Flight is not FSX replacement unless you happen to fly only in those small certain areas that will be modeled to it & dont care too much which aircraft and how well modeled one you fly. I am sticking with FSX after I finally got almost all crashes, freezes and such removed by doing magic with some files in Windows folder + uiautomationcore fix. but also I ordered X plane 10 to see what its like, maybe I will use it to do some general aviation flying & I am interested in developing some photosceneries for it.

... I read the article and all I can say is "Damn.... just Damn". I also will not be drinking the "Flight KoolAid". I think that most of the members here will quickly find Flight to fall way short of the threshold (punn intended). I cant imagine a flight sim world without my 737 ngx thanks to PMDG or great ground textures thanks to GEX or stunning weather thanks to (for me at least) FEX and the great FREEware from FSrealWX and the most important thing that I love about FSX is that I can go ANYWHERE in the world I want and have a great flight sim experience without having to dish out extra cash to fly there. To me the article pretty much said "too bad suckers" to us hardcore simmers and hello to little Timmy and Johnny. I frankly could give a rats @$$ about FLIGHT and am perfectly happy to keep using FSX for many years to come. I feel the 3PD's are just cracking the ice with what can be done and feel we will see many many more GREAT add-ons in the future. One other thing that REALLY bothers me is that I am reading new topics where we are being told to more or less shut up about FLIGHT. I for one welcome and encourage one to speak their mind, good or bad, and to leave it to the individual to decide for themself. So if you are one that will use FLIGHT... I say go for it and have fun flying laps around the big island. I for one will have fun flying laps around the virtual FSX world.

Jim Wenham

MS Flight is a let down to me. Was hoping for a jawdropping, in depth product. It went backwards from FSX imo.So I'm now done waiting and bought FSX and will enjoy it with a few quality beauty addons.

You guys and girls know that you can have both on one computer? :(
No, really? Judging by the majority of the posts here it seems like the moment you download Flight FSX will be wiped from your harddrive and your cd-key will be rendered invalid. Well, I know for a fact that this does not happen. They can both happily co-exist on the same computer.But then again the flight sim community can be an incredibly conservative bunch. Many are still refusing to make the jump over to FSX from FS9. ;)

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I feel like I have read 50 threads just like this one before. This exact topic has been discussed many many times. We should focus on more positive things. Maybe Flight will mature, maybe it won't. Until then, we have a great developer community supporting FSX and I for one can't wait to see what the folks at PMDG, ORBX,REX,Flight1,A2A and HiFI have in store for us next.

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

I gave it about 4 hours of my time last weekend and uninstalled it.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I feel like I have read 50 threads just like this one before.
+1

Bert

Plane and simple. FSX is just like the Everready Bunny. It just keeps going and going. As long as it keeps going and going, then so will I.When it does not, then hopefully, P3D will still be a viable option.Bob

No, really? Judging by the majority of the posts here it seems like the moment you download Flight FSX will be wiped from your harddrive and your cd-key will be rendered invalid. Well, I know for a fact that this does not happen. They can both happily co-exist on the same computer.But then again the flight sim community can be an incredibly conservative bunch. Many are still refusing to make the jump over to FSX from FS9. ;)
Ditto here, both reside and run quite nicely on my system - and, whodathunk, I am enjoying both - immensely!Two different products with two different approaches, and both are a lot of fun.

The interview released today is further proof that they are going in a different direction http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?app=ccs&module=pages&section=pages&folder=/AVSIM%20Pages&id=8. My hope is to milk FSX for at least another five years and hope X-Plane is the next logical step by then.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Strange.... XP10 has everything what fsx lacks.. with constant update, sloped runway, 3d cloud, cloud shadow, global 3d lighting, fully use of cpu & gpu, the famous "plausible world", the famous "blade element theory"..... but for unknown reason to be frank, after flying the demo, I decided to stick with fsx.

The interview released today is further proof that they are going in a different direction http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?app=ccs&module=pages&section=pages&folder=/AVSIM%20Pages&id=8. My hope is to milk FSX for at least another five years and hope X-Plane is the next logical step by then.
Agree 100%.. After reading the interview and the fact that a whole world model isnt what they are going for, long haulers arent their target crowd, and only 4 regional packs per year, leads me to believe this product will never be suited for me since I like flying tubes and seeing the world. Having said that, its not that much of a let down since I have a pimped out version of FSX that includes most of the scenery I visit most often.In a way, its kind of a relief knowing I wont need to start from scratch building a new library of addon planes and scenery. Regarding X-Plane, if they or REX can refine the clouds a bit, more 3PDs can get into the scenery and airports, PMDG is successful in getting their offerings into X-Plane, I might start to consider it as a viable next sim or alternative.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My FSX is pimped too. I have ASE for weather. UT2 for AI traffic and AISmooth to control the flow. I got rid of all my add-on aircraft after buying the incredible NGX, to which I just added FS2Crew Voice Control. I added ground ops realism with AES and GSX, and I also use FSPS X-Treme PC to optimize how the system uses FSX. And my sceneries include airports from Aerosoft, Fly Tampa, LatinVFR, ORBX, FSDT, Imagine Sim, Blue Print, VirtualCol, Flight Beam, Eiresim, and UK2000. My CH Yoke has been working flawlessly for 12 years, and I replaced my CH pedals with the Saitek ones after the former stopped working after a faithful 10 years. I probably missed a few products, but the bottom line is that I should be able to enjoy FSX for some time to come,a dn I look forward to a great future with X-Plane further down the road. I can't wait to see what product PMDG will replicate on X-Plane.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Well I have to say again, since it has been several days since my last comment, this somewhat " hard core" flight simmer, has been very surpised by what Flight really is, and I am really enjoying it. Still have FSX of course, and will still use it for the purposes that Flight does not offer, but dadgum I am finding Flight to be a lot of fun.Bored after a couple of hours with it? Not this user, I now am 25 hours into flight time with it, and there is still so much ahead of me I can do with it.Understand this coming from a simmer that not too long ago, had decided in his mind Flight was going to be too arcadish, how could I possibly be entertained with a product with such limited airplanes and limited place to fly, and there was no way I was going to even bother to download the free core product.Of course it is not for everyone, and I would never critisize anyone for not liking it, or making the same decision I previously had and not downloading it, but I guess I would fall into the category that I now have both, and will enjoy both going forward. I mean it is not like I have to decide one over the other, and I am so much looking forward to REX releasing Essentials, I cannot wait to see what that will look like in FSX for me!