Sign in to follow this  
airwolfe

Scenery and weather addons - what is best for NGX ?

I am looking for suggestions for weather and scenery addons for NGX. I fly out of KDFW - but I am usually headed to the Pacific Northwest. I noticed ORBX has that area covered well. The I have seen some software that claims to cover the entire US ???Also, I am looking for a good weather scenery addon. REX2.0 seems nice, but I really don't know much about addons, I have only recently added my first scenery addon - GSX for ground service. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks !

Active sky 2012 for your all your weather needs..
That does look like a nice product !

I have Active sky and i love it i think it will be even more beutiful when i buy REX

Mattias Nordgren   

fs2crew777.jpg

PRO-ATCX BETA TEAM

I have Active sky and i love it i think it will be even more beutiful when i buy REX
ok, so REX and ActiveSky can work together ? I guess I was thinking they are both doing the same thing.

Get all the major ORBX stuff (Australia, New Zealand, PNW, Pacific Fjords, Central Rocky Mountains, etc.), Tongass Fjords, AS2012, and you're all set.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I am looking for suggestions for weather and scenery addons for NGX. I fly out of KDFW - but I am usually headed to the Pacific Northwest. I noticed ORBX has that area covered well. The I have seen some software that claims to cover the entire US ???Also, I am looking for a good weather scenery addon. REX2.0 seems nice, but I really don't know much about addons, I have only recently added my first scenery addon - GSX for ground service.Any input would be appreciated. Thanks !
Hi cap,-For sceneries, check out this Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZ7VNuH76g&feature=g-upl&context=G280f38eAUAAAAAAADAA-AS2012 for weather (you can uninstall REX if you have it already), which is smoother on FPS at least on my rig.Best regards Edited by bakaman

Hi,I use Active Sky and REX together. Yes they are absolutely awsome! REX for textures adn Active Sky for weather control.

The Active Sky 2012 weather engine has finally solved all the issues with wind shifts. Just gone. Love the new release.You can use REX for the sky textures, but I'm now using the AS2012 textures. If you don't have REX, I wouldn't bother getting it if you buy AS2012.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

The Active Sky 2012 weather engine has finally solved all the issues with wind shifts. Just gone. Love the new release.You can use REX for the sky textures, but I'm now using the AS2012 textures. If you don't have REX, I wouldn't bother getting it if you buy AS2012.* Orest
At this point I am leaning towards AS2012 and some Orbx scenery.

Nope!REX (found here:http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/) is a weather application, Overdrive is a texture addon (for clouds, runways, sky etc...) downloadable through the site, it merges with REX as an extra pack of goodies.

None of the discussed products is perfect. However the reason seems to be a limitation of FSX in order to please the customers who want to leave anytime their aircraft in order to make awesome sreenshots. I own quite a lot of them as I wanted to check whether there is one in-between being able to produce real OVC conditions. It failed because of two (bad? -> contradicting) habits of FSX:

1. Whenever it comes in trouble regarding the frame rate it seems to disregard the cloud building.
  2. Whenever you are leaving the aircraft (for whatever reasons) FSX clears the area around it because Aces wanted you to have look on your plane anytime.

Coming back to real OVC: A third reason might be the distance between weather stations in some areas of the world. I think the next generation of weather programs should take into account the meteorologic weather forecast models as a sort of backup overlay in order to recognize the macro weather better than just simulating "real" conditions of small spots (which should fit the situation, of course).There are some combinations working excellent together with the REX textures (even FSMeteo does) but finally I started to use solely AS2012, including the ground textures. There is no remarkable difference to REX regarding their quality and the product itself runs significant smoother on my rig. However, I will check the announced REX essentials for sure.

i have been using fsrealWXlite for about a year now, its fast, does a great job on depicting weather in fsx, its very lite on your system and its freeware, there`s also regular updates as its improving all the time.http://www.hanse-cod...?page=self&id=1
Something more to try. :( BTW, the configurations looks a bit like FSMeteo which comes "light", too. I guess it also uses default clouds. Edited by FlyingAxx

Regards,
Axel