Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Sharing Your Passion

Well i only start it in flight simulators back in FS95 and later in mid way in FS98 thats when i knew my desk was not goin to get any better so went for flight lessons till this day that i flight for SouthWest. I think there are better ways of letting others what you like and dont like without getting too hot , thats all im trying to say .
Now that I've laid hands of flight, I am not really "hot" anymore, but I have more sense of loss rather than gain. I will reiterate my support for Flight serving as a good start and stepping stone. I believe this was the OPs point: that the simplicity of flight can really be invigorating for new folks, and it has been stated by Microsoft that this is indeed a "reset." However, I just don't see why Flight needed to be the "newbie's wonder" at the expense of the other end of the spectrum.I can entertain the idea that, given its simplicity, flight could be relaxing at the end of a tough day. However, Flight is miles away from affording me an "as real as it gets" opportunity to fly a jumbo airliner across the Atlantic with a range of accouterments that allow high-fidelity belief-suspension.For low and slow, and sun and fun, Flight appears to hold promise. But is a radical step back for many of us.If Noah Bryant and daughter are having a blast with a free product, I am in NO POSITION to say it is wrong. But I can regret the loss and wonder what we'll do for Noah's daughter when it is time to learn other aspects of flying? It seems that "those in the know" are signalling that more grown up stuff will appear in time.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

i agree with your original post sorry if you took my post the other way around . english its not my first lenguage . once again im sorry.
No worries SIr. I appreciate the reply and clarification. It's hard to anticipate/know when the language barrier is in effect. Edited by N2056

If Noah Bryant and daughter are having a blast with a free product, I am in NO POSITION to say it is wrong. But I can regret the loss and wonder what we'll do for Noah's daughter when it is time to learn other aspects of flying? It seems that "those in the know" are signalling that more grown up stuff will appear in time.
Did our FSX suddenly disappear after installing Flight? Until and unless MS come up with something that will replace FSX, they will continue to sell FSX Gold as long as possible... :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Did our FSX suddenly disappear after installing Flight? Until and unless MS come up with something that will replace FSX, they will continue to sell FSX Gold as long as possible... :Thinking:
Funny you mention that, when I went to download Flight (and buy my Hawaii pack), FSX was prominently featured next to it. In any case, no, Flight has clearly not erased FSX. But I'd sure like to mate Flight's visuals with FSX's maturity of features.But I accept that this is "zero day," so I await further developments.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

But I accept that this is "zero day," so I await further developments.
It's not even zero day. That happens in 90 minutes or so. MS put us in a 12 hour "fast forward". :Whistle:

Awesome post, Noah!I'm glad you and your daughter have been able to re-kindle your shared interests and passions together, with Flight being the conduit. :Applause:Bill makes a very good point; the Sims we currently use haven't gone anywhere; they're still stored safely (I hope) on your hard drives!I can't go any further than FS 9, and have enough flight simulators to keep me entertained for the long run.I sincerely hope that Flight will entice newcomers enough for them to move from 'dipping a toe in the water' to going for an all out swim, and try one ofthe 'hard core' simulators.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

No worries SIr. I appreciate the reply and clarification. It's hard to anticipate/know when the language barrier is in effect.
we are all good man keep on flying . ;-)....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

If Noah Bryant and daughter are having a blast with a free product, I am in NO POSITION to say it is wrong. But I can regret the loss and wonder what we'll do for Noah's daughter when it is time to learn other aspects of flying? It seems that "those in the know" are signalling that more grown up stuff will appear in time.
The answer to that is...FSX...Or X-Plane 13 or flying lessons... whatver is available in the 8+ years it will be before she's at a point she can understand all the stuff you're talking about. Flight WILL improve. There is absolutely no question about it. Will it improve to the point where a simmer such as yourself will enjoy it? I doubt it, but all simmers aren't like you. Flight isn't a, "loss." Taking away FSX would be a loss. Flight is just something different. For some it's a gain, but if I understand the english language, a loss is when you lose something you had. You have FSX and will continue to enjoy it. The same could be said about X-Plane even. :)Here are my thoughts about Flight itself.What it does, it does very well. If you wander over to the ORBX forum you will see all kinds of people who enjoying flying low and slow over smaller, well designed areas in GA planes. A person who likes that will love flight. Well...when there are more areas and planes to choose from they will.If you like to fly PMDG planes on VATSIM from continent to continet then obviously, Flight is not for you. So don't get it. When a company comes out with a product that I'm not interested in because it doesn't offer somehting that I think I would enjoy, I don't start screaming bloody murder about it. I simply just don't buy it and get on with the things I do enjoy.Personally, I like Flight when I take it for what it is. Sometimes I want a break from hours of writing monotanous computer code but I'm not in the mood to fly a "real" flight such as with VATSIM/flight planning etc. Then I will load up Flight and do some silly mission or whatever, just to relax, maybe even with drink in hand.

Noah Bryant

Very nice post Noah, thanks for sharing.Motivates me to maybe install it and show it to my grandchildren.

Thanks for giving me an idea of a possible quality time with my daughter. Never thought about Fly being a real entry door for father daughter relation. She is in that age just before boys getting in the middle. So I have to take care this peaceful season :Money Eyes:

Wonderful post!Flight is all about FUN and FUN is what attracts people to flying!No matter what kind of aircraft (real or sim) you end enjoying, your first real flight is always in some variant of small, rattly, shaky light plane with scratched perspex, worn seats and an old musty smell ... and it is BRILLIANT! You're hooked - whether you end up hauling people or cargo, fixed or rotary, military, corporate, civilian, private, sport or fun - that first experience in a small plane is what hooks you in.Our modern world pushes General aviation further and further from our cities; in Sydney for example - Schofields aerodrome where I first took the controls of a real plane (a Piper Tomahawk) - is now housing estates. It is harder and harder for anyone, let alone kids, to go to a flying club on a Saturday afternoon and got up for a few circuits in a Cessna.I was lucky enough that some of my first flights in small planes were in a DH Tiger Moth; this hooked me on older, slower, simpler planes.I can pay $50 whenever I want to experience sitting in a faux-leather seat on an A320, looking at the world from 35,000ft through smeared perspex - but an hour doing aerobatics in the Tiger Moth 3,000ft above the sparkling blue Coral Sea off Queensland - that is PRICELESS.It's also an experience that is much harder to find these days.Nothing can replace the real thing, but my first 3 hours last night with Flight took me back to that brilliant day 24 years ago I saw the ocean hanging above my head, I looked down and saw the sky, the song of wind through wires all around me.

Edited by corinoco

My wife doesn't, "get" this but you guys will get a kick out of it...So I was just going to play Flight with my daughter today and I asked her, "Do you want to play your flying game?"She got excited, clapped her hands and said, "YES!"then..."Daddy... it's not a GAME!"

Noah Bryant