Sign in to follow this  
armchairpil0t

What improvements does Flight have over FSX?

Very simple, but a long-standing issue in the FS series: sloped runways are now possible and widely used in Flight. This makes landing on small airstrips a lot more challenging. Furthermore, it can be really hard now to find small runways. In FSX and FS9 they stood out from the landscape, so even small strips could easily be seen from many miles away. Now it is really hard (and I guess more realistic) to find them.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Funny, just like sibtiger I also think it's the other way around... Even when I only compare your screenshots...! FSX looks flat while MS Flight had depth...!
As I said it is subjective. Also, that is default scenery and not the best FSX can do. I guess we can agree to disagree.
Very simple, but a long-standing issue in the FS series: sloped runways are now possible and widely used in Flight. This makes landing on small airstrips a lot more challenging. Furthermore, it can be really hard now to find small runways. In FSX and FS9 they stood out from the landscape, so even small strips could easily be seen from many miles away. Now it is really hard (and I guess more realistic) to find them.
Some of the runways in the Orbx scenery in FSX can be difficult to find and line up on. But of course that is what VOR, NAV beacons and GPS are good for.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

I have to admit I am very disappointed by Flight, be it a free download or not. I knew it was limited to Hawaii, had almost no choice of airplanes, no support for add-ons and was mostly about flying missions and earning points. No problem, it is a different genre after all.But I fail to see significant improvements over FSX/Prepar3D in the graphics department, and over 5 years since the release of FSX I did expect some bloody new and absolutely stunning graphics.I see the same horrible default clouds as in FSX, I see the same autogen scenery as in FSX, a little improved water with the same reflections as in FSX (DirectX10). And where for God's sake is the AI traffic??? This reminds me of the lonely days with FS2000!So what are the actual improvements Flight offers over FSX? I sure overlooked something.Because the only really really cool improvement I see is the ability to walk out of your plane.
At the moment much more fps, basically. I am comnparing few FSX addons too of course.The upcoming months will shape Flight better.Try it !

Can someone point me to a sloping runway on the big island? Landing on one might just entice me to finally purchase an add-on for Flight.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

There is an airport job damanding you to do that but now I can't recall the name.....a cargo for sure in a small airport located at the bottom of a mountain in the centre of Hawaii, it asks to deliver a cargo to a slope runway made of clay

There are a few tiny sloped bush strips all over..they are just very hard to find (and land on LOL)bestjake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Bush grass landings on slopes are doable in FSX also. I am looking for paved sloped runways. They were doable in FSX, but they were technically difficult to implement.

AI cannot follow sloped runways in FSX. They are limited to a 2D plane only. That makes sloped paved runways almost impossible with AI aircraft.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Funny' date=' just like sibtiger I also think it's the other way around... Even when I only compare your screenshots...! FSX looks flat while MS Flight had depth...!The difference between Scenery Density at High and Maximum is that Max gives you a larger LOD. The autogen around you is the exact same as with high, but it stretches out a bit more in the distance. However, loading times are a LOT longer at Max, so I noticed! I have it set to High because I don't really notice the difference (unless I compare the settings of course) and because I have read that the Maximum settings causes more apparent popup.Afaik Shadow at Max also simply gives you extra shadows in the distance: I also have that one at High because I don't notice the difference and it seems ti have an impact on performance. (Performance is great on my pc, buttersmooth, but I do get blurries, so if I don't really need those Max settings, I rather not use them.)[/quote']It's weird. Everyone is talking about settings being able to be set to Max. Mine can only go to high! Any ideas why?

I've been toying with Flight for a few days, having been simming since FS98. (I currently have FSX, Rise of Flight, and DCS A-10 on my hard drive). .My thoughts on what this version has going for it over FSX:It is fast. I have a year old HP Pavilion Elite that will make FSX stutter if I turn everything up with HD Carenado 'planes, and so I was worried about Flight. But I've got everything on High, Scenery Density on extreme, and I'm finding Flight very smooth and therefore very entertaining (tho' these first planes are slow; what will a jet do to my experience?). Plus, the program opens very quickly; I can play around with settings and tweaks, opening and closing the program like flipping a light switch off and on.With FSX I became an almost exclusively VFR pilot because I like to see the world I'm flying over. It's entertaining to watch. Flight seems to taken this aspect of the sim experience further (fly the west coast of Hawaii in both FSX and Flight and see a far far more detailed shoreline). The airports are lovely (landed at Ford Island this afternoon). As others have noted, Flight seems to be REX'ed and ORBX'ed right out of the box.The aircraft are beautiful but the virtual cockpit view, even with the camera tweak, is just plain wonky. The wings of the Stearman seem all wrong from that perspective. The VC lighting is a bit dark for my tastes; I'm using cockpit lighting all the tiime. In the Vans, I can't see the radio clearly enough for it to be useful (though, for now, that doesn't seem to matter). I bet the first patch will take care of these things.I must admit, I'm sold. I will get the Maule. And I suspect each new scenery will include an irresistable airplane, each new package released far enough after the previous one that it will be easy to say, "Another $25? What the hey!" Clearly, Flight will ultimately cost us hundreds of dollars. But surely for a goodly number of us, that isn't new. :wink:Tim

It's weird. Everyone is talking about settings being able to be set to Max. Mine can only go to high! Any ideas why?
There's another level of detail in the graphics section - on the drop down list for each item. Not all have a 'Maximum' setting.Mike

When flying on a laptop and the battery gets low when flying in flight, the plane engine will start to cut in and out! Can anyone else confirm this?Cheersjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

It's weird. Everyone is talking about settings being able to be set to Max. Mine can only go to high! Any ideas why?
You need a 64-bit OS to have Max available.

You also need a pretty good graphic card, and it is also possible to get the Maximum settings with 32-bit OS, if you use the /3GB switch.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Do you?I find that a bit strange since Flight is still only a 32 bit application.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S