Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

Avsim Flight review is up!

Luis did a great job . Well done mate .

Image removed as image is no longer available.

HelloWell he at least has spotted why this title has not been well received in all quarters"Much has changed with Flight Simulator 11 (a.k.a. Flight) so let's take a look at some of the major differences. First of all, there are no jetliners, in fact, no jets of any sort. No helicopters, no sailplane, no Extra aerobatic airplane. No Cessna, no training syllabus, no Rod Machado jokes. No Artificial Intelligence (AI) aircraft traffic, no Air Traffic Control (ATC), no Flight Planner, and no Real Weather. No worldwide coverage with 24000+ airports. How's that for radical change?Yet Luiz seems almost deliriously happy about losing all of these elements that make up a well rounded Flight SimulatorIt's almost as if MGS had taken a close look at what we used and what we did not use and gave us a sim that reflected that."That last statement does not seem to reflect the fact that the most asked for items for DLC are precisely what is in the list above.

That last statement does not seem to reflect the fact that the most asked for items for DLC are precisely what is in the list above.
Then, surely, that increases the likelihood of those items being provided as DLC for those who want them?

Then, surely, that increases the likelihood of those items being provided as DLC for those who want them?
Hello Jerry.We can only hope, but I am not so sure.The problem I have with MS statement that the DLC direction will be steered by what sells best, is that we will just get more of the same i.e small GA or even worse more cockpit less external view only.During the Beta there was a lot of lobbying for simple things such as Toe brakes, they are in there, you can use them whilst walking around but MS chose to ignore the fact that they are actually used in the aircraft as well, they do not listen.If they do not understand that toe brakes are quite handy for taxiing and stopping an aircraft, what hope is there for them to understand why ATC and a flight planner might also be a good idea in a flight simulator.Aside from the sales of DLC, what other mechanism do MS have in place to gauge what the market wants for further expansions.

liked the review very much. well written and indeed as unbiased as possible, good to learn about the 'hints' towards future plans of MGS

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Thanks, guys, for the positive comments. I tried to cover the topics with a balanced point of view and from a positive angle. There is no point in being negative about Flight - those who don't like it should really consider spending more time with things that they do like. Life is just more pleasant that way.Best regards.Luis

My sentiments exactly! Great review Luis.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

mad dogOf course the DLC direction will be steered by what sells best - Microoft's in business.What proportion of even FSX users need toe brakes? I suggest it's small and that the proportion of the wider market will be even smaller. At the beta stage Microsoft could well have higher priority issues than toe brakes.The mechanism is likely to be the one that determined development of Flgfht rather than FSNext - but I suspect that's of small comfort.

"Microsoft closed down the ACES studio, put all the great developers out of work, threw away a fantastic simulator, and then slapped together this game for kids, an arcade game at that! It shouldn't deserve a review so what is this all about? That is probably what many people are thinking now. Right?"pretty much all is said in first sentance,Flight is ok for resting few hours in air after work,and stuff like that,but i really hoped i will hear some info for FSX sequel which obviously wont show up any time soon :(its not that i dislike Flight,but its not a sim for sure... i like this review like every other review that i saw on avsim :Peace:

It's amazing the massive difference in opinion that can be experienced by two people reading the exact same thing. Mine, for example, is that the review was indeed biased, quite decidedly so - despite listing the many shortfalls of Flight vs it's predecessors in terms of giving one the experience of flying an aircraft, it then goes on to explain why this is fine, and indeed makes some condescending remarks about 'change', and people not accepting it? (Which, in case somebody may not have noticed, can actually be for the worse too) Why is this not being released on console, an Xbox seems perfectly capable of doing everything that Flight does, and could possibly catch more of it's target market (not meant as a derogatory statement, just fact)? It's just my opinion of course. Hey ho, life goes on. At least we have what we need already.It's funny really. I love flying so much, I made it my career. And yet I'm not even tempted to download the free base package. I beta tested it, so it's not like I haven't seen what they intended. It's not that I'm all rabid about it (I hope my tone comes across as relaxed, and there are plenty of other things that I can play, some excellent choices out there now), but I'll close by saying they've made a game called 'Flight', about a subject that I love, that I (a pilot) don't actually want - isn't that a failure of some kind? All my opinion, but anyway....hopefully it will appeal to somebody.

It's a good thing the game is free, because there are currently a lot of "if's" and "when's" in the review. You're betting a lot on that Flight will actually be sucessful enough that Microsoft finds it worthwhile to finance additional content. If there isn't enough interest in DLC, it's a dead-end. This needs to be reflected in any review I think. So far, the reactions I've seen in general gaming forums is "Cool, but why are there no guns or bombing missions?".There's also the issue that all existing third party developers from FSX are totally locked out of Flight, limiting the number and quality of any DLC for the new game. Imagine OrbX scenery running at 50 FPS with the shiny new 3D engine.. imagine is all you can do however.If the game cost even $20, I would have said "Wait 6-12 months, then buy it if enough content has been released"..but since it's free you might as well give it a try. It's good for about 25 minutes of entertainment, which isn't too bad for free.

Edited by JimmiG

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I honestly think the review was extremely positively biased and failed to recognize to any degree that some aspects of Flight's form, may be disappointing to a large number of the community.Also comments about Flight containing no AI, ATC, Jets, etc, etc effectively because MS "done us a favour and removed what people didn't want" are bordering on the outrageous.Sorry but I value AVSIM Reviews and believe Robert usually maintains a very high standard, but in this case; I honestly believe this was a poor review, because more than any other AVSIM Review I have read, it represented a very, very, individual, ego-centric view.

I honestly think the review was extremely positively biased and failed to recognize to any degree that some aspects of Flight's form, may be disappointing to a large number of the community.Also comments about Flight containing no AI, ATC, Jets, etc, etc effectively because MS "done us a favour and removed what people didn't want" are bordering on the outrageous.Sorry but I value AVSIM Reviews and believe Robert usually maintains a very high standard, but in this case; I honestly believe this was a poor review, because more than any other AVSIM Review I have read, it represented a very, very, individual, ego-centric view.
The in thing to do seems to be to like Flight, regardless of its many flaws - and to disparage those who point out said flaws. Your post is spot on, just hope that it does not get deleted.