Sign in to follow this  
MrBenevolent

All quiet on the RealAir front? Anything new in the works?

I think perceptions of a simulated aircraft can be very different from the qualities of the actual aircraft. I can't comment on any other simulated Lancar because I haven't tried one beyond looking at the screenshots. If you liked our SF260 then consider the Lancair Legacy as similar in some ways but quite a few years ahead in terms of basic design and capability, plus a few years forward since the SF260 final release in 2007. It should not be a difficult aircraft to fly and won't be.Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Wow... didn't know so many people have had issues. I did some custom mods to my avionics stack, and with my GNS430W the lancair is one of my favorite planes to fly. The VC is a bit shimmery but it's never bothered me I guess. The FDE is excellent imho - it's very twitchy but extremely slippery and shows off how important AoA is. That being said I'm looking forward to the RA Legacy with excitement!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes! I'll definitely +1 any mention of a new 172. Actually, an old one would really float my boat - like the grotty old workhorses that many of us did our training in. That would bring back fond memories, for sure.

The current Lance in FSX is one of my all time favourites, especially for her speedy (and sometimes touchy) character. On the VC stuff, me says Ryan is true and the gauges are very much dependant on nice AA settings. But I'd love to see some new Realair release coming up. Though I would love a turbine Lancair even more to be honest. Evil laughter. :(

......We're well into development of the Lancair legacy as our next release.....After that we intend to do the aircraft that many customers have requested. Not the King Air, which is being covered by other developers, but a standard Cessna training/touring aircraft that we've always intended to do as a complete project (not just the flight model we released many years ago), but never quite got around too.All the best,Rob - RealAir
Hi Rob - many thanks for taking the time to check in and update us; definately excited about a RealAir Cessna.I look forward to giving you my money soon!:)

LOL, why don't you tell us what you REALLY think about the Orbyx Lancair, Stephen? I share your sentiments completely. After reading all the praise, I thought that I must be missing something. I flew a few more flights and, nope, I really, really didn't like it. So I figured it was a case of the "the emporer's new clothes", and decided not to comment.Orbyx is the best at what they do best. Aircraft design is NOT what they do best. If the Lancair had been freeware, I would have said that it was a nice first effort. But it was certainly not up to today's standards for payware. I will continue to support Orbyx and by their products, but I will stay away from any future aircraft.Rob and his crew, on the other hand, will get an automatic purchase on anything they produce.Except, I probably won't buy their first scenery product. . .;)Wilson

I believe that there was a scenery component shipped with the RealAir Scout way back ... designed by Bill Womack. Ironically Womack have released his latest sceneries through OrbX

Rob and his crew, on the other hand, will get an automatic purchase on anything they produce.Except, I probably won't buy their first scenery product. . .;)Wilson
Well, in fact Bill (Womack's) first scenery for us was designed quite a long time ago, at a time when it was not usual to include scenery with any aircraft addon, and still isn't. I think the consensus at the time was that Bill's contribution was of a very high standard. Bill also contributed some very characterful scenery for our two Spitfire releases for both FS9 and FSX. The standard of his work can be confirmed by his continuing career with ORBx.Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Well, in fact Bill (Womack's) first scenery for us was designed quite a long time ago, at a time when it was not usual to include scenery with any aircraft addon, and still isn't. I think the consensus at the time was that Bill's contribution was of a very high standard. Bill also contributed some very characterful scenery for our two Spitfire releases for both FS9 and FSX. The standard of his work can be confirmed by his continuing career with ORBx.Rob - RealAir
Well saidnow that's what I call a true gentleman..

Spot on! Cream of the crop. :(

Well, there you go!Bill was doing what Bill does best, and continues to do the best.

The flying characteristics of the RealAir SF260 and Citabria/Scout/Decathlon series are still first-rate, even today. (I bought the Citabria series with Bill Womack's great Bear Gulch scenery). But I've been flying and abusing these planes for years now, and they still look brand-new. The interiors are good, but I wish RealAir would develop updated versions with more highly-detailed, oldish interiors, chipped and worn paint, smudges, scratched glass, cigarette butts on the floor, ripped seats, spilled milkshakes... ok, maybe you don't need to go THAT far. Maybe updated pilots would be nice too. This would bring these very nice planes totally up-to-date with the best of the latest, greatest FSX planes. I would be happy to purchase these planes a second time, with updated visuals. :(

Personally, I'm a huge fan of two people getting a lot of mentions on this thread; Rob Young and Bill Womack. Two names I look out for on anything, and an 'auto buy' when I see either. Heck, I even know the correct pronounciation of Bill's surname; and let me tell you, not a lot of people do!

The flying characteristics of the RealAir SF260 and Citabria/Scout/Decathlon series are still first-rate, even today....
Those are my favorite GA planes as well, by far. I love the Decathlon for low and slow style flying, and the SF260 for a bit longer distances, some times IFR. Awesome planes, the best FDEs on the market IMO