Sign in to follow this  
Clem Wu

W16 Monroe product page now live

One thing that strikes me is the "bunching" of the small airfields, particularly the payware ones. I know they're often by different developers and folk can create what they know or like best but it does seem to show that there's little "control" of a master plan by ORBX?After all if you consider what "Non Combat" Flight Simulation is about, it's about journeys by air, between airfields. Given that FTX sceneries are most admired by "Low and Slow" fans like myself it would make sense as a marketing strategy to model a number of fields all about 100-150 miles apart? That way you'd populate the scenery areas evenly with (hopefully) the more interesting/quirky fields and then they'd be a must have? As it stands in PNW there seems to be "clumps" of fields in various areas and of course almost none in other NA regions.Arguably Oz is better served as the major airports are far better suited for Airliners, Executive Jets etc. and yet with a spread of smaller fields too.When you look at the CV's of many of the developers now having work published under the ORBX banner they mostly have a history of proclaimed successes dating back to FS2004 (or earlier?) and this makes the concept of an "ORBX Ogre" that many seem to have adopted look rather thin? IMO if ORBX are trying to get the maximum sales from each release their library of fields is looking rather random?I love the work, but just looking at the competition I was reminded this morning that Switzerland Professional X (highly acclaimed on release) costs just £110. That's £110 for ALL of Switzerland in Photoreal 3D. That's about the cost of 4/5 single fields from ORBX. Much as I love the ORBX stuff the next spare £100 I spend is more likely to go on Switzerland than a few local field in the PNW.BTW, anyone here got Plumb Island? http://secure.simmar...d-for-fsx.phtml has some nice screengrabs. Note the price. Draw your own conclusions. For those of you who don't know the UK well our most succesful supermarket chain is Tesco's. Lord Cohen, the founder of the chain had a sales philosophy.... "Stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap".Geoff

Geoff Brown

BTW, anyone here got Plumb Island? http://secure.simmar...d-for-fsx.phtml has some nice screengrabs. Note the price. Draw your own conclusions. For those of you who don't know the UK well our most succesful supermarket chain is Tesco's. Lord Cohen, the founder of the chain had a sales philosophy.... "Stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap".Geoff
Wow, the scenery (Island) look awesome and you can't beat that kind of price.... :( How's their customers services..... :(

Wow, the scenery (Island) look awesome and you can't beat that kind of price.... How's their customers services.....
Hi Alain,FSAddons are the same folk who bought us Tongass Fjiords and a few other interesting little specialties. Had nought but friendly dealings with them, although some muppetts hacked their site a while back and screwed everything up for a while. Only thing wrong with Plumb Island is that it could do with some other GA fields in the same area to fly to. A few good versions of Boston Logan of course but that's not really Piper Cub territory :( The coast of Essex here in the UK (and I believe a good few areas of your home territory?) have those mud flats and they look totally real when you fly over them. Before the purge that created this more useful forum a good few folk were suggesting New England, The Maritimes and Canada down the St Lawrence as being a great choice for future HD scenery add-ons. It's taken 11 years of Train Simming for anyone to come up with a decent Rail Simulator route for the region so I guess Simulation isn't No.1 in the NE USA gaming leagues?Geoff

Geoff Brown

Plum Island is wonderful. IIRC, it was done by Bill Womack - one of the last sceneries he did on his own before signing aboard ORBX. Extremely atmospheric, highly recommended. The only problem, as has been noted, is that there aren't any similar GA fields nearby. I think Bill was contemplating some but obviously and understandably, when he joined ORBX his priority became populating their regions.When and if ORBX gets around to New England, maybe he'll have a chance to go back to his earlier plan. I for one would welcome that.As to airports being very close together - that actually works for me since I favor very low and very slow (Cub and helos, mostly, these days). And because my time for flying is so limited, I usually don't travel very far. A quick round trip from Diamond Point to Jefferson County and back works pretty well for me - maybe with a quick stop over on the beach at Shelter Island.If my schedule ever opens up again, then I'll be first in line for better spacing.

Similarly for me the W16 proximity to S43 is actually something good, because their enhanced coverage area link together and combine to create a decent size high detail area perfect for those low and slow flights.

--John near KPAE

Shucks! Looks like very few wanted this one.. Ssoooo I jumped in and bought "Firstair-W16" for two reasons (1) I like trains and (2) had a $10 coupon from PCAviator that I just had to used before it expired. Not a bad little airport but the train is outstanding. Of course my little computer is puffing real hard to get the frames moving.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Had this airport since it came out and loving the way it links together with Harvey. And that moving train is just awsome, hope they make more of these kinds of details.

I happen too like everything they have realised so I bought everything they have made so far and will continue too do so as long this company exist.

The only problem I have Is the waiting for the next airports and I wish they could produce everything faster, heck I would even buy the whole world If they realised it tommorow.

And last I have no problem with the price I think they are all worth it.