Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

installing fsx addons: fool-proof guide

Is there a fool-proof guide on how to install/port addons over to p3d.It all sounds complicated and a pain in the butt to do ?ThanksV

Sorry, but I think the easiest way is to install them in a dummy folder and later manually move the files and folders into the Prepar3D folder and edit the dll.xml and exe.xml files as needed.I know some developers have provided exclusive P3D installers or apps to move their products from FSX to P3D.

You can also use the Flight1 registry tool to redirect installer files to the Prepar3d root folder.

Ben,Is it possible to have FSX and P3D on the same PC using the same aircraft?... and just just the registry tool for installing aircraft to either (or both) FSX or P3D?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

You can also use the Flight1 registry tool to redirect installer files to the Prepar3d root folder
Sounds good.Did you try this registry trick ? Did you manage to install the ngx and stuff that way ?Thanks

Hi,That may bypass the installer problem associated with P3D, but you'll still have to manually edit the xml files.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

You can also use the Flight1 registry tool to redirect installer files to the Prepar3d root folder
This is a good idea, BUT be aware of the following (if youwern't already)If you also have FSX on the same machine, it will write to your FSX dll.xml with the location of the dll in the Prepar3D folder!!Thus, I have just used the reg tool to install some scenery that uses a dll. I also have this scenery in FSX. When I go to the FSX dll.xml file, it has overwritten my FSX entry with the new P3D path, not added it again. It's as if I have just re-installed into a different FSX folder from scratch (which I have as far as the installer is concerned) So, if I were to try to use that scenery now in FSX without realising this, and not correcting it, my FSX would be broken.It's a good tool but of you are running both products and re-installing into P3D, be prepared for some stuff not to work until it's "fixed" in FSX again (not all stuff, just the stuff that puts entries into files and sticks folders all over the place) Best to move the FSX one out of its folder while you install everything and then just cutnpaste the whole new dll.xml contents to the P3D one..This is why I like devs like Pete Dowson and FSDT, who have proper P3D recognition in their installers. Bring it on please devs!
Did you manage to install the ngx and stuff that way ?
I just copied over the folders from FSX and edited P3D dll.xml file..I didn't want to risk a re-install for the above reasonjake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Hi,Do you just look for the installer entry in the FSX dll.xml file and then reproduce that entry in P3D's dll.xml file?Bob

Pretty much, Bob, yes. If you are simply copying folders from A-B then it seems to be working for everything I have done that way. Obviously remembering to change the relevant path(s) in the P3D versionjake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Pretty much, Bob, yes. If you are simply copying folders from A-B then it seems to be working for everything I have done that way. Obviously remembering to change the relevant path(s) in the P3D versionjake
Thanks Bud!Bob

used post #2 in The Unofficial Prepar3d Forum, this topic (NGX and P3D Version 1.3).. worked great:http://forum.avsim.n...p3d-version-13/
heehaaw, thanks !!!

Hi,

That may bypass the installer problem associated with P3D, but you'll still have to manually edit the xml files.

I'm new here and I have been having troubles getting addons like UTX/GEX to install properly. Could you please elaborate a bit on editing the xml files?

I've used the reg tool to change the FSX folder to P3D, and I've setup symbolic link as mentioned in another thread, however all the texture packs and addons I install still update FSX's scenery.cfg

I used post #2 in The Unofficial Prepar3d Forum, this topic (NGX and P3D Version 1.3).. worked great:

http://forum.avsim.n...p3d-version-13/

This link seems to be broken.

I'm reading the posts in here with great interest. I purchased the P3D Academic version as an aid to my continuing education in realistic flight procedures and simulated aircraft type rating, also I am a formal student of the Angle of Attack Aviator Training School.

I have not installed P3D yet, but I want to make sure that I don't break FSX when I do install it and start porting FSX addons over to it.

I have experience with editing the dll.xml in FSX and from what I am reading here, it seems the best way to port over addons is simply to copy over the files to their proper folders, then edit the dll.xml file to match FSX, except putting paths to the similar folders within P3D. Does this sound correct?

Robert,

When this forum got redone many links got "lost".

Try this one "I used post #2 in The Unofficial Prepar3d Forum, this topic (NGX and P3D Version 1.3).. worked great (by Kelvinr).:":

http://forum.avsim.n...howtopic=367340

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW