Sign in to follow this  
DeltaMD11

Who would like the MD-11 remade in the future

Who would like the MD-11 remade for the future  

545 members have voted

1. 1. Who would like to see the MD-11 remade in the future

• yes
    • no

For me about the only thing I look for day to day which the PMDG MD11 does not have is the EGPWS.. Some of the places that the MD11 flys into.. With LCAG for example.. would be very nice to have EGPWS.

Is there anyway of porting over the EGPWS from the 737NGX?

the 40% that does not want this is allot... Honestly even the A380 has more chance.

I love flying the MD11. She's a big, beautiful bird that was something of a stepping-stone to fully integrated flight management systems and as such provides enough challenge to make it a fascinating aircraft to manage, especially on short sectors.

To those who say 'there are more important aircraft out there' etc, think for a moment about the long and happy history of the DC8.

Many years as a passenger aircraft were followed by long and profitable careers as frieghters - sometimes the value of a second hand DC8 as a converted frieghter was higher than its original pricetag ! They even got some of them re-engined with CFM56s - a testament to the Douglas corporation and it's ethos of building planes to stand the test of time.

There are many examples of this having happened with the MD11. This aircraft will continue to serve as a dependable freighter for many, many years to come.

I love driving to work and seeing a lineup of 7 or 8 MD11s at the freight terminal. I see them from Martinair, KLM, Centurion, Saudia, Lufthansa Cargo and others.

If PMDG does anything with the MD11, I think it should be a 'wash and brush-up'. Clean up the exterior, and pleeeeeeease, do something about the wing-flex !

Andy

I voted yes to an update. Not because I think it is really needed but because I love flying this bird so much and any new improvements would be appreciated. I fly this bird even more than the new NGX. I find that after you learn how to handle MD11 and it's systems it gives me more than the Boeing-style aircraft. Maybe because it is different.

I think it's a pity that the salesfigures of MD11 are low. My opinion is that this is based on pure ignorance from fellow simmers and many just sits comfortable with their Boeing-aircrafts and not want to break new grounds and learn something different. This aircraft is a gem systemwise and by look. When FSlabs release the A320 I think it is time to expand my knowledge into the airbus world of flying.

Espen S

To be honest I don't see a single reason why the MD-11 should be redone except for a few things, it just needs a good update:

1. The engine sound should be redone (the cockpit sounds are awesome already)

2. A better resolution of the VC. Sharper textures, etc.

3. Some debugging. Sometimes I still have a few CTD's related to the MD-11's FMC.

That's all I need.

The 747 needs a redo, it's old, it's still good. But if you compare it to the 737NGX, then you really see how old it is. If you compare the MD-11 to the 737NGX (in terms of quality), then in my opinion it's on par or maybe slightly worse than the 737NGX.

I'd be happy with just the VC redone.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Not necessary - it's relatively new and besides that, I doubt it'll happen anyway given RSR's admission that sales for the MD-11 were below what PMDG expected.

I'd love to see the SDK for the MD-11. Re-texturing, and eye-caddy is nice, but bring the FS2Crew experience up to the NGX level is at the top of my list. I know the general public probably doesn't see them all that often, but there are ALWAYS 2 or 3 sitting on the ramp in KATL (OAJ, Omni, UPS... I think I've seen some Fedex, and Air Lingus birds as well) which is as many 747's or 777's I see on the ramp at a given time there too. I also fly through Memphis a fair bit, and it seems like someone there has a few of them lying around as well. I love the way the 747 looks, but even after v2 of the 747 I think I'll still favor flying the MD-11. To me, it's more unique than the 747 because the cockpit is not a Boeing cockpit.

Air Lingus birds

Aer Lingus? Did not know they operated MD-11Fs. Must keep a lookout for them.

Aer Lingus operated one MD-11 from 1998 to 2001. Not anymore. They have an all-Airbus fleet.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I'd just be happy if the newer stuff (777, DC-6, whatever is next) were made in a FS9 version. I saw no reason to "upgrade" to FSX in order to enjoy CTDs and lower framerates when FS9 still looks great and is "supah-smoov" when running any combination of complex aircraft and scenery with all details set to max.

The MD-11 works great, looks great, and is thoroughly enjoyable. Likewise their existing 747 and even the original NG package works great. Do I need it to model the inner workings of the sanitary system to enjoy it? Nope - I'm not one of those that runs through all kinds of failures.

Nor do I care too much about the smallest rivet being detailed in the external model - as long as it looks like the aircraft being modeled and the moving parts move, I'm happy.

VC? Couldn't care less - too distracting for me.

Give me a package that allows me to line up the systems used the majority of time in flight and the FMC allows me the tools to fly an RNAV DP or STAR properly, and I'm happy. Accurate VNAV/LNAV operation without the need to play with the crossing restrictions? I'm there. Ability to operate SLOP and ETOPS on a NAT crossing the pond? Good stuff.

For me - the most enjoyable part is the system operation aspect moreso than the FDE - but that's why I'm an engineer.

The MD-11 doesn't need a makeover at all - at least as far as the FS9 version is concerned.

I'd much rather see a continuing trend like they are doing with the DC-6. Perhaps a good DC-10, 727, or L10-11? Maybe A 707 or DC-8? How about a 717 that SW/Airtran fly all over the place? If they are going with current fleets with a lot of aircraft in inventory - then they need to do the entire Airbus family A318-A340 since no one else has done one that isn't an utter travesty (I'm still using the PSS Airbus package since it just works, despite its age).

I don't see a need for the following (mainly because the level of modeling of he listed developer works "good enough"):

737 - they already did it.

747 - again - they did it.

757 - the PSS/JF one works just fine.

767 - Level-D.

777 - they are doing it.

MD11 - they already did it.

MD8x - Leonardo's version is top-notch.

DC-9 - the Flight 1 version works pretty darn good and is fun to hand-fly.

That's my $0.02...

I was mistaken... it's Eva Air I was thinking of. They do a KATL-PANC cargo route. It varies between 747 and MD-11.

EVA as we speak are getting rid of their MD-11's I guess they will head to FDX and maybe UPS.

LH Cargo is getting 777F starting the coming year.. But are not planning to phase the MD11 out just yet (only 5 777 on order V 18 MD11F in operation)

Dennis