Sign in to follow this  
Marc_H

will the 777 support RF-legs?

Let's hope PMDG has something to say when Navigraph makes these newer procedures available.

Alexis Mefano

Alec: unless someone has a database that can accept RF legs by definition (and current - emphasis mine - PMDG format can not do that), Navigraph can not simply make them available. Trouble is, airplane systems to be considered this or that capable, have to show that they can fulfill all the specs. For nav databases, they have to show that their database format can accept and process, and aircraft can fly, all the legtypes defined in ARINC standart.

This is not the case for add-on makers, they are free to develop their database format as they see fit, they do not even have to include altitude constraints if they do not want to. So most just develop around what their planes can do. Which is fine, until...

until progress happens. The NGX is still using the same database format its 10 year older sibling used... and that format simply has no way of accepting RF or AF or whatever leg type. And I am not aware of any current database format that can...

First Navigraph has to show developers they can provide them with this data, I doubt there's going to be a developer willing to spend months of development for something that might never be used.

Alexis Mefano

No Alec,

You have it the wrong way around.. Navigraph have a real database.. PMDG need to make their aircraft have an FMS that conforms to the ARINC standard.

At the moment a real database is having to be "played" with to get it to work in PMDG.

The PMDG FMS database does not use any of the ARINC standards but their own coding.. As is pointed out above... about 10 years old.

Other SIM developers are now making their FMS database conform to the ARINC standards.

Navigraph has a parser that turns the ARINC 424 data into our format. If we add RF support all they need to do is write a new parser rule.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan: now, the million dollar question... will you?

So it's easier than I thought.. I mean, of course not for PMDG, they have to come up with all new code to make it happen, but I guess it's better to expect PMDG to do the hard word than Navigraph, which seems to be already with quite a lot of work at hands just handling each AIRAC update with users complaining about missing procedures.

The good thing it, if PMDG decides to do it for the 777 I'm pretty sure makes it easy to make available also for the 737NGX

Alexis Mefano

Alec,

You do understand what Navigraph does and does not do right?

First off Navigraph dont make or code any procedures.

They get a full navigation database each AIRAC cycle from EAG/Navtech this is a standard database with no custom procedures.

They then run this ARINC spec database through a conversion program to make a database that addons such as PMDG can understand.

If a procedure is not in the database it is because EAG/Navtech dont have any customer airlines who are interested in that airport.

If the addon makers would follow the ARINC specifications, then everything would work a lot better.. and for those of us who have the option to download a real database we could load in our own custom company navigation database.

Maybe you can make available for all of us the data you have from the real database and we can all have RF-Legs when PMDG models this feature. :LMAO: Just kidding off course.

I know how this stuff works, I had a talk with Ian from Navigraph due to missing procedures for my city's airport.

Alexis Mefano

If the addon makers would follow the ARINC specifications, then everything would work a lot better.. and for those of us who have the option to download a real database we could load in our own custom company navigation database.

I believe this is what Flight Sim Labs are doing with their Airbus series.

PMDG is lucky they can use Navigrahp with this kind of simulation!

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=1063

The yet to be released PSX 747 Standalone simulator can't use Navigraph data, so they will be using real ARINC data, but only updated each 12 months, since it's very expensive and they can't afford it monthly. There's going to be a conversion for the ARINC file so the database doesn't get used for other means than the simulation.

Yeah guys, it's not that easy to get real data to a PC simulator.

Alexis Mefano

Yeah right, that sounds like a "good deal".

Unknown company, no names, no forums, forces developers to adhere to their standart. Asks 40 dollars for four cycles, where I can get 13 for the same price at Aerosoft, which is also Lufthansa Systems data. Or I can get those 13 for under 30 dollars at Navigraph.

Both businesses with a good name and estabilished support system. And they will even make sure that THEY make the data compatibile with whatever works for YOU.

Right. "RealNavData".

Also, was there not a rule, that commercial members must not promote their products on the forums, or outside their section of the forums?

I hope that this is implemented. It would be nice to fly certain procedures.

I do somewhat dread it, though...

Here's where everyone will start thinking that the vast majority of the planes out there are currently capable of this (similar to the groups here who think that the NGX can autoland on any runway, or any airport with an ILS).

If more operators were capable, my job would be a lot easier, I'll put it that way...

Here's how we're essentially bribing operators to go invest in said technology:

http://www.nbaa.org/ops/cns/pbn/20120402-best-equipped-best-served.php

Kyle Rodgers