Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Ivy Bridge hits the streets--post your results here

New numbers w/out HT (lower voltages & temps) but with another PCIe card installed to force the 680 to run at PCIe 3.0 x8 speed (simulating 2.0 x16 speed):

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg

14006, 300000, 28.33, 65, 46.36

No real difference measured at this time, though if I comment subjectively I would have to say that the full speed PCIe runs seem smoother. I perceived occasional hitching (micro-stuttering) running @ x8 that was not there @ x16. Also, I need to go back and re-run the x16 numbers now with HT off and lower voltages to see if the lower temps allow the system to maintain full turbo speed for the entire length of the benchmark. I don't know if I'll have time for a full report on this tonight, but I'll try.

May be I am mistaken, but running PCIe 3.0 at x8 is still PCIe 3.0. I don't believe that it is PCIe 2.0 at x16. Still the fact that you could notice an increase in micro stutters is interesting.

Next month probably after Computex......DDR3 2800 MHz

CPU:Core i7-3770k @ 4.9GHz HT Off 1.41v

Mobo: Asus Maximus V Gene

RAM: G.Skill Trident X 8GB 2666 MHz (11-13-13-32-1N)

GPU: EVGA GTX 680

HDD 1: WD Velociraptor X2 1.82TB intel RAID 0

HDD 2: WD Caviar Black X2 1.82TB intel RAID 0

PSU: Cooler Master SP Gold 1200 W

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S

Cooling: Blackice Extreme 360 / Laing D5 / Swiftech Apogee HD / feser one

HLJAMES

Hi, I believe you had a SB system before for FSX, any comments, comparison with the new IB system that you current have?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

(even to the point of elimination IMHO).

Very exciting! I wonder if the combination of PCIe3 and the super fast GPU caused this.

Max,

Thank you for all your hard testing.

I think it's safe to conclude that pciex3 brings nothing?

I would merely want to update the guide with this information.

Maybe in the future when cpus become faster, and start sending more data to the gpu are we going to ser real benefits?

Not sure if there are any right now (at work now, can't look it up)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigh.....PCI-e 3.0 it's not about the FPS...please correct me if I'm wrong but more FPS in FSX = overclocking the CPU (overclocking the GPU for FSX = nada as FSX is not using it as a modern game).

Right now the hardware using PCI-e 3.0 are not mature enough, (remember when the first SB mobo came out...) wait for the GTX 685 +, driver for this card are to young also, same with the mobo, we need another 6 months...

Tech, any chance you can upload the FSMark11 cvs files for both benchmarks (x16 & x8) so I can plot some stutter graphs please?

I will upload the .cvs files when I get a chance, probably not tonight unless it takes a lot less time to re-do the office than I think it will. As for the benefits of PCIe 3 vs. 2, as I said in my observation of the numerous FSXMark 11 runs at various configurations, I would say that subjectively PCIe 3 is faster (again, simulating PCIe 2 by running at half speed) as is noticed by the reduction of micro-stuttering. I thought perhaps it was just a placebo at first but after observing and comparing numerous runs I can definitely say there are less (perhaps even no) micro-stutters. So while the FPS gains are very small, the effect is far more noticeable in the sim.

I will upload the .cvs files when I get a chance, probably not tonight unless it takes a lot less time to re-do the office than I think it will. As for the benefits of PCIe 3 vs. 2, as I said in my observation of the numerous FSXMark 11 runs at various configurations, I would say that subjectively PCIe 3 is faster (again, simulating PCIe 2 by running at half speed) as is noticed by the reduction of micro-stuttering. I thought perhaps it was just a placebo at first but after observing and comparing numerous runs I can definitely say there are less (perhaps even no) micro-stutters. So while the FPS gains are very small, the effect is far more noticeable in the sim.

The effect should also be more noticeable with FSX maxed out, take to highway for example, one with 3 lane and the other one with 2 lane with a speed limit of 75 MPH on both highway, the cars will all be going at the same speed but the 3 lane highway will be able to move more cars....right?

That is where (IMHO) the bottleneck with FSX on high end PC is, you will have to try this with very demanding scenery maxed out with all the goodies just to see if there is a difference with stutterings between PCI-e 2.0 and 3.0.

Thank you for testing.

Thanks man, take your time, there's no hurry at all

I'll certainly do some logging of FPS once I get the sim fully setup, but that could be weeks from now with all these add-ons :LMAO:

I'll try to get some 5760x1080 performance numbers too, once I get the other two 27" Samsung LED LCDs.

I'll certainly do some logging of FPS once I get the sim fully setup, but that could be weeks from now with all these add-ons :LMAO:

"Knock on wood" that I haven't had to do a re-install for 6 months! Lets hope it lasts for the rest of the year! LOL

"Knock on wood" that I haven't had to do a re-install for 6 months! Lets hope it lasts for the rest of the year! LOL

Nice!

I'll probably be reloading after I complete overclocking and initial benchmarking, just to get rid of some user account issues that were caused by earlier incorrect RAM configuration which corrupted data. Then I'll create an image once I get FSX setup just the way I like it.

Nice!

I'll probably be reloading after I complete overclocking and initial benchmarking, just to get rid of some user account issues that were caused by earlier incorrect RAM configuration which corrupted data. Then I'll create an image once I get FSX setup just the way I like it.

Anything on popping autogen using PCI-e 3.0?

Anything on popping autogen using PCI-e 3.0?

Seems to be reduced also, though again I can't quantify it.

My guess is the effect would be much more pronounced once I get all 3 monitors going. I'll have to see about re-testing at that time.

Nice, sounds pretty good.

Aamir Thacker

what is your temp running prim95 and FSX under load ?

Thanks.

Evan

Tested Prime 95 this morning, temps hit up to 95 on the hottest core after 10-15 minutes of testing. I was a bit surprised, until I read up on the latest version which features AVX support and therefore stresses the CPU almost as much as Linpack. Though the temps would only be at this level for a short while, usually backing down into the 60's-80's depending on fan speed. Apparently there is at least some heat being drawn away from the CPU, despite the TIM flaw.