Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Ivy Bridge hits the streets--post your results here

Both Newegg and Micro Center have the new Ivy Bridge CPUs for sale now. $290 at MicroCenter (in-store only), $350 at Newegg.

Let the games begin. Real-world results vs months and months of speculation.

Let's use this thread to post real-world first-person results and observations with the new CPUs.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Just got an email, probably going to pick one of these up in the next few months.

Can't wait to hear but...The i5 2550 Ivybridge will be a HUGE improvement over my core i5 760 won't it??

The i5 2550 Ivybridge

This doesn't exist. It is called the Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge. And yes, you will see very large jumps in performance going from Lynnfield to Ivy Bridge.

I'll be leaving shorty to Microcenter to pick up either SB or IB. Still can't decide. Choices, choices

Christopher Edwards

30-40% is what you should expect going from a i5 760 to a 2500K/2550K3570K

Guys, to see the full potential of the Ivy Bridge for FSX you'll also need a mobo and GPU PCI-e 3.0 compatible....I may be wrong but I think that the bottleneck for FSX on a high end PC is the PCI-e 2.0.

Just got back from my trip to Microcenter (which I must say is always fun since its a PC geek heaven). I decided not to go with Ivy Bridge. I picked up:

i7 2600k

Asus Z68 Gen 3 Motherboard

Samsung 8GB DDR3 (great overclocking RAM)

Corsair H100

EVGA GTX 580 3GB

Crucial M4 128GB SSD (OS + few programs)

All of this is going into my current Cooler Master 690 II Advanced. I'm also using my current Power supply. I will be putting FSX on my 300GB Velociraptors in Raid 0!

Now its time to get to work. Its going to be a long night!

Christopher Edwards

i7 2600k

Asus Z68 Gen 3 Motherboard

Samsung 8GB DDR3 (great overclocking RAM)

Corsair H100

EVGA GTX 580 3GB

Crucial M4 128GB SSD (OS + few programs)

Swap your 2600K for a 2700K. They OC much better and MicroCenter is very leniant with regards to returns.

maybe your right. That means I got to take another 40 mile trip tomorrow to make the swap :Straight Face:

Christopher Edwards

maybe your right. That means I got to take another 40 mile trip tomorrow to make the swap :Straight Face:

It'll be worth it especially when you are running super OC with low volts! :smile:

I'm tempted to go IVB as I already have a Gen 3 GPU. Do you think this is going to give me a performance boost based on what I already have in my sig?

Gary

I'm tempted to go IVB as I already have a Gen 3 GPU. Do you think this is going to give me a performance boost based on what I already have in my sig?

Gary

I would recommend rebuilding rather than just upgrading.

To get great FSX performance, you are going to need a SB/IB CPU @ 4.5GHZ+ and a fast Nvidia GPU.

OK thanks Ben.I'll have a think about it. I'm also keeping my options open for the 2011 socket along with the 3930K instead. Oh well, back to the drawing board. As for the GPU I haven't had the chance to play around with it in FSX yet to see what's it like. Hopefully it's not too bad.

I would like to know if it would be worth it to downgrade to an i7 3770k from my i7 3930k if I can sell my i7 3930k for $400 after ebay fees, shipping fees, and paypal fees. I most likely will get very little for my motherboard or maybe won't be able to sell the motherboard because of a minor issue I'm having with it but it does not effect the functionaliy of the board, so I might end up just keeping what I have. I know that I will lose out in load times and texture rendering performance in FSX if I downgrade to 4 cores but will the increased IPC of the Ivy Bridge make up for it and give me a better frame rate than my i7 3930k? I already have a motherboard that I'm not using that supports Ivy Bridge but it's one with the P67 chipset, so that means no PCIe 3.0. So if I downgrade to an i7 3770k from an i7 3930k then I lose 2 cores, lose PCIe 3.0 unless I buy a Z77 series motherboard, lose memory bandwidth, increased single threaded performance, might not get noticeable frame rate difference, end up with a little money on top.

I would like to know if it would be worth it to downgrade to an i7 3770k from my i7 3930k if I can sell my i7 3930k for $400 after ebay fees, shipping fees, and paypal fees. I most likely will get very little for my motherboard or maybe won't be able to sell the motherboard because of a minor issue I'm having with it but it does not effect the functionaliy of the board, so I might end up just keeping what I have. I know that I will lose out in load times and texture rendering performance in FSX if I downgrade to 4 cores but will the increased IPC of the Ivy Bridge make up for it and give me a better frame rate than my i7 3930k? I already have a motherboard that I'm not using that supports Ivy Bridge but it's one with the P67 chipset, so that means no PCIe 3.0. So if I downgrade to an i7 3770k from an i7 3930k then I lose 2 cores, lose PCIe 3.0 unless I buy a Z77 series motherboard, lose memory bandwidth, increased single threaded performance, might not get noticeable frame rate difference, end up with a little money on top.

That would be a close one performance wise. I'd just stick with what you have and get a PCIe3 Nvidia GPU. Also, OC that 3930K.