Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Ivy Bridge hits the streets--post your results here

Have you disconnected PSU cables and reset your CMOS? Try that before you send stuff back, I doubt you fried a bunch of equipment already...

Yes.. I called ASUS and they suggested that... I removed the battery, moved the CMOS reset thingi from 1,2 to 2,3 and put it back. No go.

the thing is, I don;t know which one is the problem and I don't have the luxury of elimination. I thought it was the memory module so I did that..

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

What video source were you plugged into when it wouldn't post? Is it possible you were plugged into the 560 while the active source was the MOBO, or vice versa? Perhaps you ought to pull the GPU, and try to boot again.

I also had a similar problem in my build, where my system wouldn't post (if I remember correctly, I got the same LED by the RAM as well). It turned out that I wasn't actually getting my RAM modules all the way inserted (I think Asus' RAM mounting system is stupid, with Gigabyte it's not possible to not insert the RAM all the way). Once I made sure it was in correctly, everything suddenly started to work again.

It's also probably a good idea to try to reset your CMOS again, by using the jumper on the MOBO (the manual will tell you where it is). In the manual there are instructions about how you can move the piece of rubber to a different set of pins to do this, or you can just use a piece of metal to complete the circuit between the two pins. This is probably more reliable than pulling the CMOS battery, because there could be some residual charge in the board that keeps the CMOS from resetting.

As TechguyMaxC said, it is highly unlikely that you have broken your equipment. When you build computers, this kind of thing happens. RMA'ing all the equipment isn't the answer; it's possible, if not likely, that you will experience a similar problem with your replacement parts. Patience and proper troubleshooting should clear this up.

Active source? You mean VGA/DVI-D on the monitor. oh yeah. Initially I had the monitor attached to the motherboard. Then I turned off the system put in the 560 and I connected the monitor to the 560.

Yes.. I did the jumper thingi too in addition to removing the CMOS battery.

And I also removed the memory module and put it back like 20 times.. initially I was convinced it was the memory that was the issue. Thats why I drove to FRYs and got a pair of DDR3 modules.

I am afraid that I would get new parts and run into something similar!

Not sure what else to try.

Sigh!

Manny

Have you checked to be sure that even after you plugged in the 560, the video doesn't work if you leave it plugged into the motherboard? Did you install the 560 drivers before you plugged the card in?

No I did not have the 560 drivers in at all'.I was planning to put the card in...boot it up. then Download the driver for it.

BTW..the LED light is actually the CPU LED not the memory LED as I had originally thought.

Manny

Manny:

have you updated your BIOS? I've read in another post that Asus Z77 boards require the latest Bios revision to recognize a video card. You would have to do a BIOS flash upgrade if it won't boot past the POST.

I would try that before sending anything back. Read all the feedback here - it may give you some clues

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=100&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

good luck!

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64

Hi Lyn

I had not updated the BIOS. But when it would not post, not sure if I could have even tried to update the BIOS from an USB. The system when turned on, gets stuck on the CPU LED and not budge any further..the Screen goes to sleep saying, no VGA signal

And yes..I took everything apart and packed it and I dropped the MB in the USP drop off box. The CPU box wouldn't fit so I have to go the UPS Store tomorrow.

Manny

Manny

Got tired of the temps on this thing so I de-lidded the CPU and put some IC Diamond 7 between the CPU core and the IHS, as well as between the IHS and the H100 block.

Results: Prime 95 Small FFT max. temp now 83 degrees on the hottest core, down from 95. IBT no longer throttles down from 4.7GHz, peak temp 101 on hottest core. Actual temps during use are much lower. Hottest core temp during FSXMark 11 run is 70 degrees, and that's at 2560x1600 w/AA & AF set in-game.

Got tired of the temps on this thing so I de-lidded the CPU and put some IC Diamond 7 between the CPU core and the IHS, as well as between the IHS and the H100 block.

Results: Prime 95 Small FFT max. temp now 83 degrees on the hottest core, down from 95. IBT no longer throttles down from 4.7GHz, peak temp 101 on hottest core. Actual temps during use are much lower. Hottest core temp during FSXMark 11 run is 70 degrees, and that's at 2560x1600 w/AA & AF set in-game.

Hi Techguy :biggrin:

Thankyou for all your hard work exploring this Ivy thing.

But if you for a short moment forgets all the stuff about benchmarking, overheating, overclocking and so forth,

could you then tell us in a totally subjective and completely un-scientific way, how do you actually like it in FSX :biggrin:

Overclocked or not.

Jen

It's great! Waiting on my other two monitors and REX Essentials Overdrive before I finish the rest of the software setup, then I'll be able to comment on how the final configuration is.

It's great!

Just what I wanted to know. :biggrin:

Now I can relax a little bit. Ordered one last week :biggrin:

Hope you enjoy it a lot. It has been interesting to follow your post`s about it.

Regards

Jen

Active source? You mean VGA/DVI-D on the monitor. oh yeah. Initially I had the monitor attached to the motherboard. Then I turned off the system put in the 560 and I connected the monitor to the 560.

Manny, I couldn't see if it had already been suggested, but did you have power connected to the video card? Most decent cards these days will need you to have two 6 pin power leads connected to the video card.

If the card has no power, it's not going to display anything.

It seems to me as you only stopped getting the PC to post/get a display signal after installing the GTX 560 that this may very well be the culprit.

but did you have power connected to the video card?

Hi ant.

Yeah I did. That was not it..

Anyway..I got a replacement board from Amazon. But newegg is very slow with their RMAs.. So I have to wait for they to recieve my RMAed CPU and memory and then they send me the replacement. They also charge $10 each for shipping.

Amazon is simply awesome... They overnight my stuff without any additional shipping charge. I tell you..these other legacy business, if they don't change their model they are going to be eaten alive by Amazon. I had to get the CPU from newegg because Amazon didn't have it

So I have to wait for two weeks now to give it another shot.. I am not in Dallas anymore.. I have travelled here to Seattle.

MAnny

Manny

I tell you..these other legacy business, if they don't change their model they are going to be eaten alive by Amazon.

Yeah. I can definitely sign that too. Best service ever. I never think twice before ordering from Amazon. And even if the price is 5-10% up, I pay it gladly - the service is a killer.

A cool thing I experienced with a Canon €350 printer/scanner - came in, was pulling more papers than one into ADF, wrote Amazon, half an hour later "we are sending you a new one, please send the old one back, here is a shipping paper... please do it inside of 30 days". LOL. Incredible.