Sign in to follow this  
TheGrunt

Aircraft Galore @ Aerosoft

Aerosoft has aircraft galore until Sunday 20th and the discount is 20% off the normal prices. Most of the aircraft on sale are advertised being sort of harder "pro level" planes. Down is the link to the selection:

http://en.shop.aeros...anguage=english

Cheers for the heads up, I'd been waiting for a sale on the OV-10 Bronco - so I just bought it.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Cheers for the heads up, I'd been waiting for a sale on the OV-10 Bronco - so I just bought it.

Al

After you've tried Bronco, tell us a bit what you think of it. I'm also considering to purchase that bird. Very cool aircraft indeed.

Okay, I've just had a quick flip around, and I'm very impressed with it indeed. It is a pretty accurate simulation on the real thing, with lots of the systems working such as the gunsight and the smoke oil injector, although sadly only the front cockpit is modeled, the rear one having no flight controls or instruments, at least not on the FAC bird I tried anyway. The VC is truly excellent, and has night lighting, and frame rates are similarly excellent too. Sounds are good as well.

The flight model is pretty close as far as I can tell, although admittedly I only know what that's like from having read Marshall Harrison's book, A Lonely Kind of War (lots of times - since it is a superb book and recommended if you are interested in the OV-10 in the Vietnam War).

Flight envelope seems pretty accurate, it gets sloppy and stuggles up at 18,000 in a hot climate as per the real thing - I tested it at Paro - low down and with some big numbers on the clock it's a great aerobatic bird, as is the real thing. Roll rate gets sloppy at low speed.

Verdict - go get it - frankly it is great and is everything I had hoped it would be, especially at this price.

And speaking of prices to pay, thanks to the miracle of Captain Sim's Weapon for FSX, JF's VFR terrain and this OV-10, it was time for the staff at the virtual branch of B&Q in Stockport to pay a heavy price for having overcharged me for that stuff I bought from there the other day...

1-37.jpg

2-34.jpg

3-28.jpg

Al

Alan Bradbury

Thanks for that Al. Am sorely tempted by the Bronco, but am asking myself, having just bought the Catalina, and previously the Twotter , the Beaver and the F-16 much cheaper than here, and two days ago the Epic(what a little gem)whether it will just gather dust. Hm....mmmm.

B&Q's anywhere are high mark-ups, but great shots.

I was waiting for a sale like this, but now I don't know what to buy. I'm debating between the F-16, Twotter, and Huey. I've heard a lot of good things about the F-16, but I recently bought the VRS F/A-18, so I'm not sure if I need another jet fighter at the moment. The Twin Otter's been recommended to me, but isn't there a new version in the works? And I don't have any helicopter addons (except for some little ones from JustFlight), so the Huey would be nice, but I don't know much about the addon and if I'd get much use out of it.

What do you recommend?

Well, the F/A-18 and the F-16 are both very similar, both being multi-role fighters with an air superiority capability, so similar in fact, that they were originally both prototypes aiming for the same USAF contract, when the F/A-18 was known as the YF-17 and the F-16 was known as the YF-16. The F-16 got the Air Force gig, but the US Navy rescued the YF-17 programme and it subsequently became the Navy's F/A-18. All of which means that since you have the F/A-18 for FSX, you don't really need the F-16 unless you particularly like it and want one anyway.

The Twotter is great, but it is indeed due for a revamp, although how long that will be before it is forthcoming I don't know, so if you do want a decent short field performance twin that is also amphibious, then it is there and apart from a slightly oldish looking VC (which I actually don't think is as bad as some people claim) it is still very usable.

That leaves the Huey. Personally I think the Nemeth Huey is a better 3D model than the Aerosoft one, although the Aerosoft one is mostly okay apart from the odd dodgy bit, and it does fly well although does not model VRS. Of course the Huey we all really want is the DodoSim one, which like their Bell 206 probably does model VRS, which unfortunately that one is pretty much on hold at the moment if you look at their support forum.

i dunno where that all leaves you decision-wise, but it might help a bit.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Thanks for the nice Bronco mini review, Al. Seems like a quality aircraft and I think I have to get one Bronco on my hangar too.

The flight model is pretty close as far as I can tell, although admittedly I only know what that's like from having read Marshall Harrison's book, A Lonely Kind of War (lots of times - since it is a superb book and recommended if you are interested in the OV-10 in the Vietnam War).

Thanks Al for the book recommendation, I've had the BroncoX since release and it is one of my favorites, top quality model, panel and systems, very well done, I picked up the book to enhance my experience with it, the Kindle version of the book is actually on sale for $3! can't beat that:

http://www.amazon.co...m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

--John near KPAE

Thanks Al for the book recommendation, I've had the BroncoX since release and it is one of my favorites, top quality model, panel and systems, very well done, I picked up the book to enhance my experience with it, the Kindle version of the book is actually on sale for $3! can't beat that:

http://www.amazon.co...m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Thanks for the Kindle tip! I purchased that too, though for me it showed the price of $5.78. Still, great price!

Are there any reviews on the Huey? I've been searching all over but can't find one.

Couple of interesting things. What's the Beaver like? It's always tempted me but if I'm not mistaken it's getting a bit long in the tooth now no? What's the VC like?

Thanks lee

Yeah the BeaverX is a great aircraft with a lot of character, it has been one of my favorites for years, but the VC textures are starting to show their age, a new version is supposed to be in the Aerosoft roadmap in the not too distant future (and will be insta-buy for me), so it is a good aircraft, but not really in the caliber of the BroncoX due to age.

--John near KPAE

Like the old Aerosoft Twotter, the Beaver is still a pretty good FS add-on, you get a lot of versions and of course there's only a floatplane version in FSX, so the Aerosoft one gives you conventional, tundra, float and ski-equipped variants, which means you are good to go in all terrains. It's no A2A as far as system detail is concerned though, so don't expect to open the door and find an engine priming pump or any of that stuff, however, it flies very well, sounds great, and the engine does actually need a bit of careful handling or you will get a fire, and of course it is as useful in FSX as the real thing is in the real world.

It is true that, like the Aerosoft Twotter, the Beaver is showing its age a bit in the VC, but frankly, I think that kind of suits those two actually, since it makes them look like an old aeroplane in many ways, and its not like it is actually bad, it's just not as shiny as more recent offerings. If you know the default FSX DH, which isn't bad in its VC, then you more or less know what to expect in the Aerosoft one, since it is an improvement on that. Gets good FPS incidentally, so you can afford to go mad with the autogen and water effects when bush flying.

You could certainly do a lot worse for the price, and no simmer should be without a Beaver, it's up there with the DC-3 as classics go. Pick up Aerosoft's French Polynesia add on and you can pretend to be Harrison Ford in Six Days and Seven Nights with it. :LMAO:

Al

Alan Bradbury