Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Ivy Bridge / Sandy Bridge: What would you chose?

Hi Zeljko, given your other questions and comments, I doubt very much if you should attempt such a drastic overclock. 4.8GHz really is expert level. If you are hapy with what you have, leave it alone. If you want to explore the potential of your hardware, you will need to start by researching the various overclocking forums available to find one that suits you.

I did that allready(OC forums), I have hardware for OC and I know how to do it. I choose 4.8GHz becouse 2700K is stable there. I only asked if it is worth to do that for FSX. Like I said, my only problem is in big and busy addon airports, and I don't know how big the difference will be after that - from 4GHz to 4.8GHz. 3, 5 10, 20fps?

Thank you Paul

P.S. Alex, I apologize for using your thread, but I tried to help you with your question too

I would not buy Ivy Bridge for an FSX system

Debatable at this point. The fast RAM on the market paired with IB really seems to benefit performance nearly as much as CPU clock speed for FSX. A 4.5GHZ IB with 2666MHZ RAM ~ 4.8GHZSB with 1866MHZ RAM

From just under a years experience with the SB i5 2500K and a reasonable Corsair H70 water cooler, I can't recommend it enough. My rig was built for FSX, I try to keep little else on it. I have a very simple OC to 4GHz coupled to a 3-4 years old graphic card, proving its certainly the processor that has the FSX oomph. FSX and the NGX are very smooth, no major stutters even with high AI traffic and moderately graphically demanding airports. I don't watch the frame rates, you can get obsessed with that. Just look out the window and see how immersed you feel. Hope your i5 gives you as much simming enhancement as mine did.

I choose 4.8GHz becouse 2700K is stable there.

Not strictly correct. Some 2700k can reach and maintain a stable 4.8 and some will burn out at that level. That is what makes it an experts level. I suggest aiming for 4.4 or 4.6 and enjoy what you get.

I only asked if it is worth to do that for FSX. Like I said, my only problem is in big and busy addon airports, and I don't know how big the difference will be after that - from 4GHz to 4.8GHz. 3, 5 10, 20fps?

You are adding 15~20% more processing power, so you should exect 15~20% better performance from CPU bottlenecked activities. If it is your CPU that is holding you up and not your graphics card, then if you currently get 20fps at 4GHz, you can expect 23 or 24fps at 4.8GHz. If you currently get 50fps, you can hope for almost 60. Of course, if you are externally limted to 30fps as recommended, then you wont see a change there, it will just be smoother.

This thread has been basicly about overclocking the IB vs. the SB.

I do not overclock and it is not something I want to do. Which would be better for us non-overclockers, the IB or SB? I am more interested in the best RAM, motherboard, and video card.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

This thread has been basicly about overclocking the IB vs. the SB.

I do not overclock and it is not something I want to do. Which would be better for us non-overclockers, the IB or SB? I am more interested in the best RAM, motherboard, and video card.

Billy Bluestar

Im also wondering

Im also wondering

Hi guys,

If you're not going to be doing any overclocking and focus on buying the fastest CPU with fastest motherboard with the fastest memory combination, then from what I've read about Ivy Bridge, this would be our best option. The fastest Core i5 paired with a decent Z77 motherboard such as ASUS and 2333 memory should be good, but the fast memory will cost more, of course. Should be good for FSX, although overclosking is still the way to go in my opinion, but there does seem to be an issue with IB at the moment. Maybe Intel will fix this issue.

Hi guys,

If you're not going to be doing any overclocking and focus on buying the fastest CPU with fastest motherboard with the fastest memory combination, then from what I've read about Ivy Bridge, this would be our best option. The fastest Core i5 paired with a decent Z77 motherboard such as ASUS and 2333 memory should be good, but the fast memory will cost more, of course. Should be good for FSX, although overclosking is still the way to go in my opinion, but there does seem to be an issue with IB at the moment. Maybe Intel will fix this issue.

Im going with the IB and the http://www.inet.se/produkt/1902185/msi-z77a-s01-atx motherboard. Im not going to OC at first, but maybe in the future.

What exactly is the problem with OC the http://www.inet.se/produkt/5310020/intel-core-i5-3570k-3-4ghz-ivy-bridge ?

Thx

Ivy was just made to have a higher energy saving compared to SB. Its just a little bit faster than SB not really something to talk about once you got a good OFC system like 4,8GHz on a I7 or 4,5 on a i5. You will battle Ivy on the knees!

Ivy was just made to have a higher energy saving compared to SB. Its just a little bit faster than SB not really something to talk about once you got a good OFC system like 4,8GHz on a I7 or 4,5 on a i5. You will battle Ivy on the knees!

Ive read somewhere the Ivy gets higher temperature?

Ive read somewhere the Ivy gets higher temperature?

correct

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Despite the expressed concerns RE: Ivy Bridge here and elsewhere, if FSX performance is the utmost concern there is no question which chip is better. Go look at the current FSXMark 11 results and see for yourself. Ivy Bridge + PCI-e 3.0 GPU + fast RAM is the fastest solution for FSX, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Despite the expressed concerns RE: Ivy Bridge here and elsewhere, if FSX performance is the utmost concern there is no question which chip is better. Go look at the current FSXMark 11 results and see for yourself. Ivy Bridge + PCI-e 3.0 GPU + fast RAM is the fastest solution for FSX, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I don't know Tech. You get 7 FPS more than ramrunner & HLJames at the same clocks both CPU & RAM, all else being equal (including PCIe 3.0). At this point and until there are more IB samples in FSMark11, I can only consider yours the odd result to discard. You also got a bigger boost from 2133 RAM, when again both ramrunner & HLJames saw a 6% boost as expected (looking at benchmark in any other platform I've tested: AM3, P55 & P67+SB: in all of them going from 1600 to 2133 provided a consistent 5-6% boost)

Alex, since you are in the uk take a look at this, I just bought one to upgrade my second machine.

http://www.overclock...tid=2053=

Hi, i'm on the planning phase of building my FSX rig. This has CPU, motherboard, RAM and cooling all together for only 420 pounds?? that seems great isn't it?