Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Flight - What needs fixin'?

I am expecting a title update released with Alaska that addresses some of the low-hanging fruit on our wishlist.

If it comes, even with just a few minor things we have asked for, I will gain faith that Flight is going to improve and become long-term viable.

Should it not occur, I will still buy Alaska as what Flight offers is satisfying enough for now. But I will also know that it won't stay that way for long and I will need examine other options.

The title update is a sure thing along with Alaska. (A developer said so Saturday), although I don't know what it adds or fixes.

(I guess that was expected as it has been a long time since version xxx29 came along)

I am expecting a title update released with Alaska that addresses some of the low-hanging fruit on our wishlist.

If it comes, even with just a few minor things we have asked for, I will gain faith that Flight is going to improve and become long-term viable.

Should it not occur, I will still buy Alaska as what Flight offers is satisfying enough for now. But I will also know that it won't stay that way for long and I will need to examine other options.

My feelings too.

The title update is a sure thing along with Alaska. (A developer said so Saturday), although I don't know what it adds or fixes.

(I guess that was expected as it has been a long time since version xxx29 came along)

Oh, I'm sure there will be a title update of some kind. The key thing is what it includes, as that will offer some indication of whether or not we do have their ear.

As far as speculation of features go. The autopilot, weather, ATC, and flight planning are all tied together. The flight planning needs ATC in order to facilitate IFR flight. ATC need weather for the automated weather reports and setting active runway. The autopilot needs flight planning in order to set nav mode. I am hoping they can put an interface in the autopilot so they can release it before the rest.

The auto-pilot doesn't need a flight plan, just as long as you've got one. Turn Nav 1, set the radial you want on the HSI or OBS 1, set the AP to NAV and the AP will go find the radial (if it can) and fly it. So there is no reason why the AP can't go in without the other stuff. It does the same thing in the old sim. Tying it to the GPS is another matter, but there isn't a GPS that does much yet anyway (and don't get me started on my thoughts on the over-reliance on GPS). The rest however are, as you say, linked. If these things are going to be included, I would rather they take the time to get them right rather than have planes cleared for take off while I'm on final on the opposite runway and getting told to go around after being cleared to land.

Mike

Or even just set HDG Hold and rotate the bug to your desired course.

Autopilots don't have to also be autonavigators.

You have to realize that code is very complex. If they code the autopilot functionality without consideration for all features that the autopilot needs to support, they may break backwards compatibility.

This is my comment about an interface. If they plan out the systems of the autopilot, they can code part of it and put hooks in for the rest of it later. The problem with the hooks though is that if they change the interface later, they will need to rewrite some to all of the autopilot implementation in the existing airplanes. If they don’t implement the autopilot until they have all the supporting systems in, then they only need to implement the autopilot once. Thus they reduce the cost by quite a bit.

Don’t get me wrong. The lack of an autopilot is making the jobs no fun for me. I do not plan on making any purchases until they at least get that working. I don’t need the nav functionality either.

It is possible to plan for future eventualities and code with extensions in mind.

You don't have to do nothing out of fear that you may need to change things in the future.

Heck, they probably shouldn't have included single-engine aircraft, then. When they add multi-engine aircraft, some of the engine/throttle/prop/mixture controls will have to be revised and extended.

Oh, I'm sure there will be a title update of some kind. The key thing is what it includes, as that will offer some indication of whether or not we do have their ear.

We have their ear!?? Are we holding it for ransom? (be sure to speak directly into it when making demands) Threaten to sic' Mike Tyson on it if more cockpits are not released immediately. :LMAO:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You have to realize that code is very complex. If they code the autopilot functionality without consideration for all features that the autopilot needs to support, they may break backwards compatibility.

Welcome to the cloud :biggrin: The interface is not public and is even internal to Flight, so they can change whatever they like whenever they like.