Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

First of all, thanks to finding and fixing the errors ro make DX10 preview mode a viable option!

Second I have a few issues:

1) My WOAI planes. Some have textures and some do not. Is there a fix? If needed I can uninstall and just get UT2. I'm just not sure that UT2 has all of the alternate aircraft available that WOAI has. Recommendations?

2) Super jaggy! When I enable the default AA it gets better. I'm going to re read this forum again for proper settings under DX10.

Third?

The benefits I have seen on my PC are

1) Water looks even better!

2) Very smooth!

I'm open to any advice for my two issues and in the meantime I'll work with the info in this thread.

Thanks again

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

FSX won't even load past the rebuilding scenery libraries for me. No crash report, no error logs. It just stops loading with 0 errors with this fix installed.

I suggest you return your Shaders back to the original copy, Justin, then delete the Shader10 cache folder. Restart the system and you should be back to normal. If it's not 'back to normal', there's something else wrong with the system, as this only touches one file in the whole ShadersHLSL folder.

Once you have got it back to square one, read the entire thread again, as each piece of Steve's fix works, and are well worth having.

Edit: I believe Steve's on vacation at this moment, but I'm not sure when he will get back in the saddle.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hello SKEWR,

The problem with your World Of AI textures is easily resolved. There is a program for FSX called Addon Converter X. You can download this little program and try it before you buy it. I no longer have problems with missing textures with this tool. It is possible to run the converter before loading FSX and have your textures made compatible with DX10 mode, the program will run in the back-ground and convert your textures on the fly with no noticeable impact on FSX performance. This program will ensure you AI textures appear normally.

I am using a I7 600K processor with a Asus GTX 680 GPU. The GTX 680 has transformed my FSX experience. I have very smooth frame rates at very high settings. DX10 preview with FSX works very well for me. The only problems I have is the occasional blue FSX splash screen texture appearing, (this does not happen too often, and is not a problem for me). I have strange headlights on ORBX scenery cars and vehicles. Perhaps ORBX will issue a patch in due course.

Anti aliasing and screen tearing is not a problem with my GTX 680. I am using Nvidia Inspector to limit my frame rates in FSX. I believe this is the best solution for me. My graphics settings are very high and the sim looks stunning with light bloom enabled. There will be a patch coming soon to fix the jagged shadow edges in DX10 preview mode, thanks to the hard and generous work of Steve.

Try out the Addon Converter, I do not regret buying it at all.

Yours aye

Chuck

Thank you so much!!! It works like a charm!

System Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte Aorus Master mobo, 32 Gb Corsair Vengeance Lpx DDR4 memory, MSI RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X Trio 8G video card.

Hello SKEWR,

The problem with your World Of AI textures is easily resolved. There is a program for FSX called Addon Converter X. You can download this little program and try it before you buy it. I no longer have problems with missing textures with this tool. It is possible to run the converter before loading FSX and have your textures made compatible with DX10 mode, the program will run in the back-ground and convert your textures on the fly with no noticeable impact on FSX performance. This program will ensure you AI textures appear normally.

I am using a I7 600K processor with a Asus GTX 680 GPU. The GTX 680 has transformed my FSX experience. I have very smooth frame rates at very high settings. DX10 preview with FSX works very well for me. The only problems I have is the occasional blue FSX splash screen texture appearing, (this does not happen too often, and is not a problem for me). I have strange headlights on ORBX scenery cars and vehicles. Perhaps ORBX will issue a patch in due course.

Anti aliasing and screen tearing is not a problem with my GTX 680. I am using Nvidia Inspector to limit my frame rates in FSX. I believe this is the best solution for me. My graphics settings are very high and the sim looks stunning with light bloom enabled. There will be a patch coming soon to fix the jagged shadow edges in DX10 preview mode, thanks to the hard and generous work of Steve.

Try out the Addon Converter, I do not regret buying it at all.

Yours aye

Chuck

Chuck;

Thank you very much for your assistance!

I tested the program and the AI looks as good (or bad) as ever! Went ahead and purchased the program.

The AA was totally my fault. Somewhere along the line I installed new drivers and my inspector settings were set to default. I changed them using the settings from the PMDG forum and the suggestions in this thread and I'm good to go.

Thanks for your help!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Hello Chuck:

Will you please let me know your Nvidia Inspector setting. Are you using unlimited framerate in the sim and limiting the frames with Inspector? I have a GTX 580 and continue to get screen tearing while using the DX10 preview.

Thanks,

Daniel

GTX580, Daniel:- Used with the 304.48 driver. Frame rate is set to 30 inside FSX, with Inspector providing the 1/2 Refresh Rate vsync control setting.

https://dl.dropbox.c...9.6.5_06_24.jpg

and a slightly newer one:-

https://dl.dropbox.c...tor_1.9.6.6.jpg

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hello Chuck:

Will you please let me know your Nvidia Inspector setting. Are you using unlimited framerate in the sim and limiting the frames with Inspector? I have a GTX 580 and continue to get screen tearing while using the DX10 preview.

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel,

Here are my settings from Nvidia Inspector. I am using unlimited frames within the sim and using Nvidia Inspector as a frame rate limiter.

I lost my ability to enable VSYNC within the sim for a little while. Running the freeware Game Booster in "FPS" mode with the yellow frames per minute showing, appeared to kick start my VSYNC again. I am not sure if this was just a coincidence however, the only change I had made was to run this program and I am not sure why it may have re-enabled my VSYNC, if indeed it did. If you have the same issue, you might want to try it, it will not cost you anything.

Nvidia Inspector does a really great job as a frame rate limiter set to 30FPS with unlimited frames set within the simulator.

ForceFullScreenVSync=1 Is present in my FSX cfg file.

I am using the latest Nvidia beta drivers for the GTX 680. www.guru3d.com has a leaked beta version ,(Nvidia version 305.53) which I am using at the moment and appears to be the best so far for me. Dont forget to link your FSX.exe to your Nvidia Inspector profile or your new settings will not be used when you start the simulation, this may be your problem!

IMPORTANT - If your monitor refresh rate is 60FPS, then your frame rate limiter should be set to 30FPS, that's my understanding. :rolleyes:

BRGDS

Chuck

I lost my ability to enable VSYNC within the sim for a little while. Running the freeware Game Booster in "FPS" mode with the yellow frames per minute showing, appeared to kick start my VSYNC again. I am not sure if this was just a coincidence however, the only change I had made was to run this program and I am not sure why it may have re-enabled my VSYNC, if indeed it did. If you have the same issue, you might want to try it, it will not cost you anything.

Chuck:

Thanks for the quick response. I have Game Booster running but I didn't realize there was a "FPS mode" I'll give it a try after work today. I see I also need to add "ForceFullScreenVSync=1" entry in the cfg file.

Looking at your Inspector setting you are using the override of Anti-alias setting - I was under the impression that they did not work in DX10 preview. I thought the only way to influence AA was to use "MultiSamplesPerPixel=" under the [Graphics] secetion.

Using "MultiSampleQuality=" may or may not affect the AA quality. (at least for Nvidia)

Are you using those entries as well?

Thanks,

Daniel

You do not need to enable Vertical Sync within the sim, Daniel: the late versions of Inspector use "adaptive vsync" which adjusts the frame rate as closely to half of the refresh rate as possible. See the bottom entries in my post. This is also explained in Word Not Allowed's (and Nick Needham's) posts over the last two months. It is very much superior to setting vsync within the sim - or even straight vsync within Inspector. Set 30 inside FSX and 1/2 Refresh rate in Inspector. This applies to both DX9 and 10.

Chuck:

Thanks for the quick response. I have Game Booster running but I didn't realize there was a "FPS mode" I'll give it a try after work today. I see I also need to add "ForceFullScreenVSync=1" entry in the cfg file.

Looking at your Inspector setting you are using the override of Anti-alias setting - I was under the impression that they did not work in DX10 preview. I thought the only way to influence AA was to use "MultiSamplesPerPixel=" under the [Graphics] secetion.

Using "MultiSampleQuality=" may or may not affect the AA quality. (at least for Nvidia)

Are you using those entries as well?

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel

The entry. ForceFullScreenVSync=1 in my cfg is a remnant from previous tweaks and is probably not needed however, as everything is working for me I am reluctant to change my settings. "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". I am not into the technical complexities of tweaks, I have stunning performance that I thought was never possible with FSX, with my new system.

Using "MultiSampleQuality=" I am not using this entry in my cfg.

Chuck

Here is Steve's testing (down at the lower part) where he refers to the use of MultiSamplesPerPixel:-

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/dx9-antialiasing/

Certainly great reading!

Hi

Just tried out this mod and it's working great for me. However, I have noticed that I don't see that "sparkle" anymore when using bloom. It's that shine when the light reflects off objects and lights. I also use REX lights but I have reverted to default textures but the problem is still there. This may not be to do with the mod but could be a corrupt file installation of some sort. Wondering if anyone could shed some um...Light on this.

BTW Thanks Steve for your work on this. Much appreciated.

Thanks

After taking a bit of break from this I have revisted it and installed version 2.01. I tried disabling my Virtu video on the chip that was driving the second screen and put both screens on my 560Ti. Great news it worked, but with a catch. I can get the screens like FMS and GPS to undock and move to the second screen in windowed mode but the screen is black when I switch to full screen mode. Any ideas?

Also, can someone post a screen shot of the best NI settings using this DX10 setup. There are lots of conflicting suggestions in this thread.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Another update, started up FSX today and surprisingly on the NGX I am able to undock the FMS panel to the second screen. Only problem remaining is very bad tearing of the scenery which I am guessing is a Vsync issue. Do I fix this in my fsx.cfg?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000