Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

Regarding the flashing street lights, I found that if I turn on my landing light, the street lights will be stay on and no flashing. As soon as I turn off my landing light, those street lights on/off and flashing again. (It makes me feel like the landing light switch in my aircraft is influencing the street lights in whole city)

Thanks ! I've just tried on Orbx scenery. It only works if you use a plane with standard or Shockwave landing lights (not "Lotus" or similar lights) and it solves about 95% percent of the flashing.

This could also mean that the whole issue could be solved by a gauge or a DLL that just "switches on" a light when FSX starts.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

It's only some of the older ORBX airports that use the default FSX cars. KORS uses newer ones without the problem.

It also affects some of the OzX NA airports

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter

Well I finally found one of these cars at WA42 in the Orbx demo.

Here is a beta fix that addresses the problem. Whether it breaks anything else I don't know. I am still testing it but it would be helpful to hear from a few brave souls if it

a) works and/or

B) breaks anything else and

c) whether the thing it breaks is worse visually than the cars!

Its just an update to the two tx files so you can just put them in the ShadersHLSL\General directory and rebuild the shaders.

It also contains another change for the grass runway at WA49 which looks like an Augusta fairway in DX10 rather than a grass strip.

There are no guarantees especially about the car headlights.

Steve

Hi Stevejp!

Many thanks for those wonderful improvements!

I have been converted to DX10 for quite some time now (as a matter of fact when shifting from XP to W7...) and now the question is finally solved.

One last problem: the information tags in the cockpit do not appear under DX10. Not that I really need them, except with one exception : the Aerosoft Twin Otter trim setting does not appear anywhere in the cockpit. If you want to know if you take off at neutral, or up, or down, the only way to know it is to drag the mouse on the handle and read the tag...

Do you think possible to settle that with one of your magics?

Thank you for any possible answer.

I took a look but I am sorry I cannot see it being drawn so there is nothing i can do.

However the tags do appear running DX10 in windowed mode and it switches mode very much faster than DX9 (or at least my card does).

So if before a flight you switch to windowed mode, maximise and switch back to full screen, then when you want to alter trim

ALT-Ret - set your trim and Alt-Ret

Clearly not perfect but then real planes don't have labels!

Steve

Steve

WOW. You've done it.

You fixed the car headlights. I will carry on testing.

Many many thanks for you hard work.

Peter

Hi Steve,

Thank you again for your efforts.

I must admit that I never thought to do it under windowed mode. I will try it.

Happy landings!

Just wanted to thank you for all your work ! Man you deserve a medal. You fixed so many things that's insane.

I may ask something else. Do you think you could understand why nvinspector AA filtering are not working in DX10 ?... I may say this is one of the major problem of DX10. We are unable to enhance FSX using ANISTROPIC AND ANTI ALIASING filtering settings in NVINSPECTOR

Just wanted to thank you for all your work ! Man you deserve a medal. You fixed so many things that's insane.

I may ask something else. Do you think you could understand why nvinspector AA filtering are not working in DX10 ?... I may say this is one of the major problem of DX10. We are unable to enhance FSX using ANISTROPIC AND ANTI ALIASING filtering settings in NVINSPECTOR

Nick at Flight1 said that (if I understand him correctly) it can't be fixed in DX10 since this is tied directly to the FSX core files and this has nothing to do with editable shader and texture files.

PS: Thank you for your good work Steve.

Damn. Seeing even worse frames at airports like Aerosoft Frankfurt in DX10 with the PMDG NGX (10-18 fps mostly). Combine that with the lack of sufficient AA, ugh. Just about giving up on this game.

My CFG for anyone interested:

http://depositfiles.com/files/5q0ixf4qu

I've tried various affinitymask settings aswell. No difference in performance.

Damn. Seeing even worse frames at airports like Aerosoft Frankfurt in DX10. Combine that with the lack of sufficient AA, ugh. Just about giving up on this game

I found out that on some airports (specially Aerosoft and some others) I too get very bad frames, even worse than in DX9. But most of the time in DX10 I get much much much better frames, smoothness all the way, no stutters.. so, what's going on?

I got the clue on the other part of the world when landing at Ketchikan. I installed some cabins and some other scenery from Misty Mornings a while ago, recently I also bought Orbx PAKT. The other day I was landing at PAKT and when I got closer my frames dropped like a brick from 30 to 15 or so. I was puzzled and a bit annoyed because I just didn't expect such a poor performance in DX10. Than I remembered.. Misty Mornings stuff are mostly port-overs from FS9. When I removed those sceneries.. all is back to normal, 30 FPS all the way!

I suspect that those airports that are bad performers in DX10 have some legacy objects in the scenery (old, FS9,..) or they simply ported over the whole thing.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, I'm just saying what I experienced and based on that I made some conclusions that may be completely wrong.

I found out that on some airports (specially Aerosoft and some others) I too get very bad frames, even worse than in DX9. But most of the time in DX10 I get much much much better frames, smoothness all the way, no stutters.. so, what's going on?

I got the clue on the other part of the world when landing at Ketchikan. I installed some cabins and some other scenery from Misty Mornings a while ago, recently I also bought Orbx PAKT. The other day I was landing at PAKT and when I got closer my frames dropped like a brick from 30 to 15 or so. I was puzzled and a bit annoyed because I just didn't expect such a poor performance in DX10. Than I remembered.. Misty Mornings stuff are mostly port-overs from FS9. When I removed those sceneries.. all is back to normal, 30 FPS all the way!

I suspect that those airports that are bad performers in DX10 have some legacy objects in the scenery (old, FS9,..) or they simply ported over the whole thing.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, I'm just saying what I experienced and based on that I made some conclusions that may be completely wrong.

Had same issue at default EGLL in DX10,also Aerosim 787 cabin fair white interior turns blinding white in DX10. But the cockpit is fine.

I always use eggl for testing new tweaks cause its where i get lowest frames in the sim, and DX9 appears tobe smoother than DX10 in egll. Might need to test again with same cfg i used for dx9, wihtout all the chnages made to cfg for dx10, to give a fairer comparison.

Also top of the airport building in eggl are flashing, this could be linked to the low frames and jerks in DX10, aircraft turning is the most jerky part. smooth in my dx9 same airport but i admit slightly different cfg. So when got some time will try with exact same cfg.

Basically updated my cfg with things like usepools = 0 and other recomendations for dx10 update to cfg, but results where worse than whta i see in my dx9 with its cfg.

I have not tested the latest dx10 fix version in avsim library, just the latest posted on this thread, think it was second version. But as of that version i advice, do your setup to use dx9 or dx10 easily, keep your options open for now.

Than it's not what I thought it is.

Do you use any AI traffic? UT2 and MTX have DX10 compatible models but I don't know for others.

But I guess your setup just doesn't like DX10 for some reason.

yes i use mtx , will give mtx dx10 a try, thanks for the tip

i hope setting dx10 for mtx is an option in mtx

I'd like to give much respect to you Steve for forging on ahead with Aces incomplete work, but alas, after having followed this thread closely, applied your tweaks and set NI and FSX cfg accordingly, I will have to respectfully pass. Ever since Word Not Allowed's tweaks, FSX has NEVER run better imo. My testbed is Orbx Skagit area of PNW and I am still getting far superior fps and generally stutter free gameplay in dx9. Plus without all the added issue, although your tweaks seemed to have significantly helped. Please continue on as you are doing really great work!!! Hopefully one day we can fully enjoy dx10. I will continue following your blog and thread.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Only seems to happen with DirectX 10 mode enabled. Also sometimes when switching views, all my textures are covered by a texture that has the FSX logo (the splash screen as soon as you click on the icon to start the sim) on it, but only for a second then it goes away.

fsx2012071411053254.th.jpg

Splash screen that covers the textures then goes away.

splashpw.th.jpg