Sign in to follow this  
WestAir

Who does go arounds?

Are you a controller at Vegas? The Nellis Controllers always seem to ignore published approaches and improvise stuff on me. Whenever I come in IFR from the south or east they tell me to fly directly at the stratosphere tower. Lol.

Yes, to your first question. You must be flying into VGT, that is our normal route into VGT from the south due to arrivals to the 25's and 19's. Unfortunately due to the terrain, our traffic at LAS, and the major fact the it's VMC 360 days a year.....instrument approaches are pretty much a novelty.

Ok, I see that I got it backwards. My experience comes from smaller airports (ABQ), and usually with a missed approach (rarely happens, but from what I've experienced/heard over the radio), depending on the airplane, the controllers will usually put you right back in the traffic pattern, and you usually don't have to go back to approach. Notice I put "usually" because each situation is different, so each is handled differently. But for the most part, that is what I've expierenced.

Yes it will depend on the size of the airport (mainly the type of airspace). Unless it's 3 am or very very slow, we never keep aircraft in the pattern. But if you fly to a place like ABQ or RNO where the traffic is light and they do closed traffic on a daily basis, the easiest thing to do is keep the go-around in the pattern.

Yes, to your first question. You must be flying into VGT, that is our normal route into VGT from the south due to arrivals to the 25's and 19's. Unfortunately due to the terrain, our traffic at LAS, and the major fact the it's VMC 360 days a year.....instrument approaches are pretty much a novelty.

Jeremy, you're going to have to invite me to the tower one day. You do that and I'll let you fly a cessna and chill on the ramp at LAS for some real planespotting. Just%20Kidding.gif I promise we'll perform a go-around.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Hey

I try and keep FS as real as possible, so if I need to go around I will.

So far with 130h of flying PMDG’s Boeing 737 NGX series I have only had to do one go around so they are quite rare.

I was approaching into my home town airport (EGHH / Bournemouth) and was lining up for a runway ILS 08 approach. The winds were gusting from 8kts to 24kts and the whole approach was a bumpy one. As I descended through 400ft (I had disengaged A/P at 1000ft) a gust of wind knocked me way off approach and it was too late to safely recover so I went around, 10 minutes later I made a perfect touch down at the same airport.

I guess it comes down to how important keeping it real is for you in FS, I mean if you crash your aircraft in FS you simply reset everything, of course in real life there is no reset button to push.

Saying all of this part of keeping it real is not going around too often, in real life while pilots have to keep things safe they are very aware going around costs money and causes delays.

I often fly on Vatsim and a good example of people just not knowing when and how to go around correctly was found years ago while I was landing at KJFK.

I was flying PMDG’s Queen of the skies (B744) from EGLL to KJFK on Vatsim. I was aware from my planning before taking off that the weather at JFK was not so nice, it was late July and there some juicy thunderstorm cells around the airport, but, I left EGLL on time and set off for KJFK.

Just over 7 hours later I was approaching into a very wet and thundery KJFK and I was soon assigned runway 31R for landing. On approach it became clear the cell was sitting over the airport and landing was clearly not a good idea, so at 450ft I went around – it had simply become impossible to keep the aircraft on any type of stable approach path.

The aircraft behind me however decided he would land (he was in a Level-D Boeing 763) however at 200ft he crashed short of the runway. Then the aircraft behind him crashed as well (that one was again a Level-D B763) and the fourth aircraft went around, however he stalled :Hypnotized: I am guessing he had not practiced flying the Queen of the skies and doing going arounds, something that needs a lot of refining!

After holding for around 30 minutes I made my approach into runway 31L (maybe the two crashed birds closed down runway 31R?) and made a perfectly smooth landing without any issues :Party:

I guess I learnt that day don’t mess with Mother Nature and secondly maybe don’t fly the B763 into heavy thunderstorm cells!? Hehe

I say if you are serious about FS and PMDG keep things real, it may be hard work at times but it’s much more fun! :Nerd:

Kim

Yesterday I approched Sydney to high and fast and speed brake was doing its best but not enough. Anyway I intercepted glide slope for auto land and the 737 handle it beautifully, low and fast touchdown 200kts with -96fpm

all good :-)

Yup, but that is one of the problems with FSX unfortunately; you could roll those wheels down the runway at 300 miles per hour and never even get near blowing the tires off the rims, whereas in reality, there's a good chance that anything near 200 knots in real life for any length of time would see your Dunlops lying on the grass at the side of the runway in pieces as you scraped down the runway showering sparks all over the place. :LMAO:

Interesting article by Boeing on the subject of overheating tires on take off:

http://www.boeing.co...9_article04.pdf

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Low and fast touchdown at 200kts with 96fpm is anything but good! :smile: but hey, whats the saying? any landing you can walk away from..

Al, max tire speed on the NG is 195knots so you would definitely be leaving a trail or rubber and smoking brakes ;)

Rob Prest

Yup, overheated tires even caused the loss of a 727 once when they put compressed air in them by mistake instead of nitrogen. The right tire exploded when retracted and blew out the hydraulics:

http://en.wikipedia....cana_Flight_940

Al

Alan Bradbury

Practice like you play and play like you practice.

Bill Bumgardner

Well put.

How are you doing Bill?

* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

Low and fast touchdown at 200kts with 96fpm is anything but good! :smile: but hey, whats the saying? any landing you can walk away from..

Al, max tire speed on the NG is 195knots so you would definitely be leaving a trail or rubber and smoking brakes ;)

"max tire speed on the NG is 195knots" ...published, In reality you could throw on another

10- 20% ?

ZORAN

Well put.

How are you doing Bill?

* Orest

Orest

Hey buddy, I've been good. Quite a bit has gone on since I was with UVA. I moved twice, got married and now i'm half way across the world flying 190's. I actually had the chance to keep up flying for UVA but I didn't get that pirep filed in time and I got booted. I really enjoyed flying over there. Hope all is well with you. I have the same email addy if you want to keep in touch. Was great to hear from you. I've downloaded a couple of the PDF's that you made for flows and checklists on the NGX. Very Nice!

Keep in touch.

Bill Bumgardner

But when a controller puts me on a 10 mile final at 8,000 feet AGL I just tell them I can't make miracles happen.

Once I flew as a passenger on Lufthansa A321 and we were approaching my native UKBB airport too high. I can definetely say that we made a 360* turn at about 8-10nm from airport with flaps 2 and gear down and landed without go-around. Of course it was low intense traffic that time.

Sometimes I go around, but I hate it when you're on a perfect approach, and an AI aircraft invites itself onto the runway.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

"max tire speed on the NG is 195knots" ...published, In reality you could throw on another

10- 20% ?

Yeah, generally the aircraft could withstand another 25% of published limitations.

I wish there was more of a consequence for making an unsafe landing in the sim, maby you being suspended from using your ngx for 24hrs after an unsafe landing. :)

Could happen with a few add-ons, for example, Air Hauler, if you damaged it and couldn't afford the repair for example or maybe wanted to get the repair done cheaper at a base of operations and had to partially repair it and then ferry it, in fact it is possible to completely write an aircraft off in AH.

Al

Alan Bradbury

@Kim:

I say if you are serious about FS and PMDG keep things real, it may be hard work at times but it’s much more fun! :Nerd:

I'm with you on that one! :good:

When I was in the RAF the worst disease/most unforgiveable sin was something termed "PressOnitis". (Pronounced like any disease ending in -itis, but hopefully it's not a disease you can catch from your co-pilot).

That word sums up the root cause of many problems, I suspect. :wink:

Cheers,

Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg