Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quadraspleen

Gmap for FLIGHT

Anyone got the new V2.0 of GMAP for FLIFGHT working? I keep getting "cannot connect to FLIGHT" on it..Have tried all the different combos of starting order

Anyone?

Ta

I had that yesterday too, but decided not to use it anyway because I read you have to run Flight in Window mode unless you have a 2nd monitor which I don't. I am waiting for the Android version of it to enable Flight and I will put it on my Android phone.

The trick is to start in Hawaii and connect GMap. You can then move to Alaska and GMap will continue to work.

kodiakmap.jpg

George

Hi,

Prior to posting this I noticed new posts so if info here may be repeated.

The free version of GMAP for Flight is under active development. It's been requested of those who are checking it out to not provide links as this may cause future problems. Details can be found at the FSWidgets website. A new Flight forum has been created there. GMAP still must be run in a window or run in the background while Flight runs full screen. I prefer full screen so I simply ALT-Tab between Flight and GMAP as desired. Pretty much the same as checking the map in Flight with the advantage of being able to do this while doing a job.

GMAP has the ability to use Flight Simulator Flight plans. Those created in FSX do not, in some cases, correspond with the Google data that GMAP uses. Google data and Flight data correspond very closely so it looks like I'm going to finally have to learn how to use Plan-G.

GMAP currently works fine on a single monitor and under most conditions when using multiple monitors but looses connection in a certain situation when going from one World scenery area to another. I'll post when the remaining problems with GMAP are taken care of.

Jim F.

Don't think this program is ready for prime time yet with Flight. Tried numerous things to keep it and Flight running and nothing seems to work. Back to the sectionals...

I prefer full screen so I simply ALT-Tab between Flight and GMAP as desired.

Hi Jim,

I'm guessing you have the "pause on task switch" ticked?

Are you an FSW dev? Great programs!

EDIT: still won't connect unless you choose Hawaii (Thanks for that George)

The trick is to start in Hawaii and connect GMap. You can then move to Alaska and GMap will continue to work.

Actually, if you are already somewhere in Alaska, just change the Map to Hawaii, Connect GMap, then click back on Alaska. Your aircraft will still be wherever it was parked (or flying for that matter)... :Nerd:

But you don't have to with the latest fix, 2.1

I posted the link above

Gesendet von meinem X10i mit Tapatalk 2

Doesn't work for me. No difference between that and 2.0..Again, I tried all starting combos..only works if I change to Hawaii then back...

Doesn't work for me. No difference between that and 2.0..Again, I tried all starting combos..only works if I change to Hawaii then back...

Here is what I found out on my system.

1. It will not connect to Flight in Alaska, just in Hawaii, and I have the latest version

2. If you want to run Flight in Full Screen mode, you can switch back back and forth between Flight and Gmap, by using Alt Tab.

3. If you switch back and forth you have to uncheck the Pause option in the Game setting in Flight ( says something like Puase when losing focus or something similar.

4. After I connect, it tries to get infor from Google maps, but my firewall is blocking it. I haveto find out what that site is so I can enable it in the firewall settings. I found this out by turning off the firewall, and after connecting to Flight, it downloaded the Google map info immediately.

So it looks like, start in Hawaii, move to Alaska, and then see if a firewall fix is needed.

But you don't have to with the latest fix, 2.1

I updated to 2.1 before running my test and posting my results, for what it's worth. :Peace:

Hi,

Feedback is being requested as to problems that anyone is experiencing using GMAP with Flight. It would be helpful to post in as much detail as possible the specifics at the FSWidgets Flight forum.

I have as many of the artificial aids as possible in Flight turned off so I've found GMAP very helpful.

I'm not in any way associated with FSWidgets; simply enjoy GMAP.

I've tried turning off "Pause on task switch" and then I can see my aircraft moving within GMAP but it's pretty chancy. I did notice a slight turning in GMAP, over corrected with the joystick, and I think I managed to get back into Flight to recover but I turned "Pause.." back on anyway.

Jim F.

I will give the program a try. I don't like switching to the desktop but I don't like the ingame map even more... I want to follow valleys low and slow, so now I will use Plan-G to plan the flight (unlike the Flight map it shows all the valleys in great detail) and then I will switch to Gmap every now and then to see if I am taking the right turns or not. Far from perfect, but worth a shot...

Update, I got it fixed. I had to go into my AVG firewall settings and allow communication from FSwidget. That took care of my problem.

Tried it. Although it does work to lead you through valleys, the switching is cumbersome and kills the immersion.

Two problems also:

1. the orientation of the plane is wrong (it stays as it was at startup no matter what heading I fly) so you have to fly a while and check back a few times to see if you are moving in the right direction.

2. I see no airports at all so it's not useful for checking to see if you are flying towards an airport... I'd have to use the ingame map for that still.

The idea is nice but for me it doesn't work yet. As soon as both mentioned problems are solved and I can use the app on my Android, I'm in. Until then I'l keep wishing for a better ingame map...

Got the second problem sorted out partially, not connecting in Alaska without going to Hawaii first. This appear to be dependent on the location your aircraft is at. I was trying for over an hour to get it to connect around where I had been flying this morning, Yakutat Airport, PAYA, and it would not connect unless I wen to Hawaii first. Then I simply moved the plane to King Salmon Airport, and it connected immediately. without having to go to Hawaii. So if you have a problem connecting with Flight, try a different area.

Try starting from a different airport or area of Alaska. That is what I found, it wouldn't communicate near Yakutat, but it would at King Salmon and Anchorage. Strange!!

I can't get VOR info up on it either..I have selected it..is this something one has to pay for?

Looks like back to Skyvector on the laptop

(note to FSW - please do an app for FLIGHT :smile: )

I can't get VOR info up on it either..I have selected it..is this something one has to pay for?

(note to FSW - please do an app for FLIGHT :smile: )

They have the sectional charts for Alaska on their website for $10. Going to buy then after lunch.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I'm back to Plan-G. I still had that one installed on my PC. It's great for planning VFR flights and after some searching where the heck for instance Chandalar Staff is on the Flight-map, I just had a very nice flight to Chandalar Lake, following valleys and rivers, without using the ingame map, only based on landmarks from Plan-G. Nice. Very satisfying. Flying low and slow over the trees.

Advantages of using Plan-G:

- you can actually plan a flight and see how long it will be. When I 'plan' a flight using the ingame map, I have NO IDEA if the flight will be 5, 50 or 500 nm.

- you can easily find airports in interesting places with other airports close enough for the kind of flight you want. The ingame map shows no detail at ALL so you have no clue what kind of environment you will be flying in. And you also have no clue where airports are unless you zoom in way too much.

- you get a list of headings and distances! This helped me to avoid a wrong start during my Chandalar-flight. The ingame map doesn't give you headings....

- you can see landmarks like rivers, mountains, turns in valleys, etc. The ingame map... ah, never mind the ingame map.

It's far from perfect, but Plan-G sure is a nice alternative! Best thing would be to have it running on a laptop beside my PC...

EDIT

I posted some screenshots of the flight and the plan in Plan-G here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/378228-chandalar-flight/

I tried it with aivlasoft and FSC, but tbh, I may as well be setting up an FSX session lol..skyvector lets you plan rtes, draws lines, calculates ETE all on the lappy or the pad..doesn't follow my route, but then I know where I am as I have a sectional and a vor :)

Sent from the FondleSlab using Tapatalk

Hi,

The airport names do appear if the zoom settings are high enough. I think this is a function of Google. Not much help in planning a route or determining where you currently are. Perhaps buying the Chart data from FSWidgets would correct this. No VORs displayed either.

I copied some fight plans from some Alaskan missions which were created by Don Oleson and are available at "Flightsimulatormissions.com" and opened them with GMAP. One of the flights is from Unalakleet to Koyukuk. I had flown the mission in FSX so was familiar with the geography. I decided to replicate the flight in Flight. I set the time and date to correspond with the mission. I was aware there was a wide valley south of the plan route and had previously flown this so I chose that again. I also knew the valley eventually intersected a river valley a bit further south and after flying for awhile decided to head over to the river. As it was getting dark and I was in a location were rescue would be unlikely if any problems occurred I found my self getting anxious to get to the river. Maybe a bit too much immersion.

Jim F.