Sign in to follow this  
Griphos

RealAir Lancair Legacy -- GA doesn't get any better

Well, I just read a couple small tutorials and flew a GPS approach using the default MS GPS. Not bad...it flew the procedure turn and everything. Sometimes I feel like using this stuff is cheating. LOL. The data was pretty bad for the approach but, near as I could tell, nobody was watching.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'm quite sure you will not find any nav data for GNS that is more up to date than you can have with the Reality XPs. You must not be in the correct forums, Gregg.

They also have a lot more than nav data, like terrrain warnings, traffic, additional gauges.

In addition to the FSX/FS9 GPS info, you can search around the older nternet data and find two really informative articles about using the default GPS500 that was in the magazine several years ago. I think it part 1 is free and easy to find. Part 2 you may have to buy an old digital version of the magazine to get it. Look for a Doug Horton article.

Ray

Seeing as RXP piggybacks off the Garmin trainer, you are pretty much stuck with whatever they have available in the trainers. I'm surprised Jeppesen havent put a stop to it already to be honest. The only way to have up to date data on demand for RXP would be to subscribe to the monthly Jeppesen service, which for flightsim purposes is completely cost prohibative.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm now the happy owner of the RA Lancair Legacy! I can already see it replacing my SF260 as GA bird of choice.

Paul Skol

I did notice that ATC doesn't know what to call the bird. Its a UFO!! :lol: (minus the call letters of course).

I did notice that ATC doesn't know what to call the bird. Its a UFO!! :lol: (minus the call letters of course).

My default ATC uses Lancair November Blah blah blah. I did select Legacy from the available Airline list of names, that may have something to do with it. I thought the info in the aircraft.cfg file setup the callsign to/from ATC.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

But checking Sporty's site they have a whole slew of GPSs for aircraft in the $1000-$2000 range. Maybe because you don't put them in the dash or something?

Not in the panel, don't have nav and com radios, not coupled to the AP and - here's the biggie - not IFR certified which requires a whole laundry list of approved and installed pieces from properly mounted and located antennas, to annunciators, approved CDIs, etc. etc. IFR certified GPS' like the 430 and 530 (and the GTN's that now replace them in Garmin's lineup) are more than just a GPS with aviation data, they're part of a certified system.

And for that you pay. A lot.

BTW, while I agree with Rob that the default GPS has more features than most people ever use, it also misses some things that many do use. Among the many advantages of the RXP gauges are the fact that you can fly WAAS LPV approaches and if you actively fly, they are a super training aid for using the real thing. And given that my 430 and/or 530 live in the cockpit of every plane I currently fly, they're a bargain.

Seeing as RXP piggybacks off the Garmin trainer, you are pretty much stuck with whatever they have available in the trainers. I'm surprised Jeppesen havent put a stop to it already to be honest.

Why would Jeppesen care? The trainers are available to anyone, comes with a static database, and all they're likely to do is encourage a Jepp subscription, not take one away.

Scott

Why would Jeppesen care? The trainers are available to anyone, comes with a static database, and all they're likely to do is encourage a Jepp subscription, not take one away.

Errm, because hacking the latest trainers and using Jeppesen sourced data in trainers that were never meant to get such data (and in a product being sold for commercial gain) may ###### them off slightly or at least be an infringement of the EULA? (that term that we love to throw around here)

All I am saying is don't be surprised if the free lunch comes to an end one day...........

All I am saying is don't be surprised if the free lunch comes to an end one day...........

We could go back and forth on this for some time I'm afraid - I expect we'll just have to agree to disagree here and leave it at that.

Scott

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm now the happy owner of the RA Lancair Legacy! I can already see it replacing my SF260 as GA bird of choice.

Congratulations. Stop by the Owner's Club and say hello to a happy bunch of recent owners with a common interest.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Can anyone speak to performance with the RealAir Lancair? The SF260 has been my default plane across multiple versions of MSFS, partly because of its great fps/performance (easily as good or better than default planes).

I have a fairly robust system, but with Orbx and multiple addons it does occasionally get to the ragged edge over urban areas or complex airports even when flying the SF260. I love the look of the Lancair (and I am a big fan of RealAir in general), but it seems to be a really detailed and complex aircraft and I am concerned it will have a big impact on my finely tuned performance.

System specs? It's obviously a lot newer than the dated SF260 so it's going to require a little more power.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I did select Legacy from the available Airline list of names

Ahhh.. I'll look at that next time around.

Indeed, aircraft.cfg should have the names in it already. I haven't had a look yet. May have been an install hiccup.

So, I bought it and wow..So stable..So smooth..so pretty!

Are there any RL Lancair drivers out there that can attest to the accuracy of the flight model? It seems so easy to fly!

Loving the side-slipping, too..Not really able to do this properly in most default FSX AC..

Well done, RealAir (again :smile: )

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

So, I bought it and wow..So stable..So smooth..so pretty!

Are there any RL Lancair drivers out there that can attest to the accuracy of the flight model? It seems so easy to fly!

Loving the side-slipping, too..Not really able to do this properly in most default FSX AC..

Well done, RealAir (again :smile: )

Thanks for the kind comments. On the "ease" of flying, well, all well designed aircraft are easy to fly, in that if you trim them for level flight in reasonable still air, they will...fly straight and level. Only turbulence or unstable air is going to disturb that. FSX is not very good at turbulence, in that it somewhat artificially imposes random lateral and pitch moments based solely on the inertia and wing span values of a given aircraft. It also doesn't simulate the effect upon the airstream of ground objects like trees and buildings, which is a very important influence on small aircraft when taking off or on approach.

I think the default GA aircraft in FSX give the impression that controls somehow should be twitchy or unpredictable, and that leads some sim pilots understandably to assume all aircraft are like this. Several times in the last year I've been in gliders and GA aircraft in still, evening air. The flights were as smooth as silk. The slightest input of the stick was entirely as expected and it was "easy".

Try the Legacy with some wind with gusts and strong or very strong turbulence in your weather settings. That should make it a bit more challenging, but the turbulence will feel a little artificial.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page