Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

OpusFSX

Hi

Please download the latest beta 2.30 released today and try that first. If that does not get rid of the wind shifts then untick the Relax Wind Smoothing option (I see you have already done that). If your system is still plagued with wind shifts at higher altitudes then try setting the Transition altitude to 0 feet and adopting global surface winds. Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Cheryl

Ok just did a couple flights. One short hop flight had an instance of overspeed and height change but moderate. The 2 hour flight i had 3 of them and quite drastic. I will try the unticking of relax wind smoothing although I dont understand why i would want to not relax the wind smoothing. I had it on because that is your default.

Can you tell me if and where there is a log file so i can see the data that perhaps shows the changes?

And I suppose next if that fails would be the global wind changes and transition altitude of 0. I suppose that greatly reduces the realism?

Dave

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Hi Dave

There isn't a log file. You do have to reduce realism to stop FSX misbehaving with wind shifts. The weather pdf has a section describing the settings to overcome wind shifts, and yes you have to move towards global winds.

Regards

Cheryl

Hi Dave

Use beta 2.30.2 posted today the upper wind targets are more in tune with the wacky behaviour of FSX. First try it with surface wind smoothing relaxed (the default with 15 + 15 set), then if you experience wind shifts try more wind smoothing (option unticked, or try 10 + 10 setting), if you still experience wind shifts without any relaxation, then i'm afraid your only recourse is to set the Transition and Recovery altitudes and use wind stabilisation. Not many people need to use these options. We do not experience any shifts with the new beta on any of our systems. But some systems are more susceptible than others. The latest beta helps.

Wind smoothing is relaxed by default to ensure maximum compliance with METARs. So you increase the surface wind smoothing and if necessary enable wind stabilisation only if your system needs it.

But it is still better than using completely global weather ! At least you are only needing to control the surface winds and if you are lucky the system will recover your real surface winds as you descend below the Recovery altitude (the future weather smoothing may recover more often). All complaints to Mr Bill Gates please.

Regards

Stephen

And my system also have 4 Gb RAM and I got interested in OpusFSX since it appear better then both AS2012 REXE.

Is the amount of RAM the only problem and what is the problem?

In my experience, OpusFSX offers the best performance of the above mentioned two.

Hi Dave

Use beta 2.30.2 posted today the upper wind targets are more in tune with the wacky behaviour of FSX. First try it with surface wind smoothing relaxed (the default with 15 + 15 set), then if you experience wind shifts try more wind smoothing (option unticked, or try 10 + 10 setting), if you still experience wind shifts without any relaxation, then i'm afraid your only recourse is to set the Transition and Recovery altitudes and use wind stabilisation. Not many people need to use these options. We do not experience any shifts with the new beta on any of our systems. But some systems are more susceptible than others. The latest beta helps.

Wind smoothing is relaxed by default to ensure maximum compliance with METARs. So you increase the surface wind smoothing and if necessary enable wind stabilisation only if your system needs it.

But it is still better than using completely global weather ! At least you are only needing to control the surface winds and if you are lucky the system will recover your real surface winds as you descend below the Recovery altitude (the future weather smoothing may recover more often). All complaints to Mr Bill Gates please.

Regards

Stephen

Thank you. I will download and try it all out. Just confused on one thing. What does "some systems are more susceptible than others" mean? Its the same core flight simulation program. Same weather engine. How would my system be any different from yours other than hardware? I fly with FSX and P3D and im certain you fly with the same. So how is it that you barely see these symtoms? If yours is barely noticeable I would like to mimic yours then. Just a thought if we are running the same software. (windows 7 64 btw)

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Flying in Antarctic area I have noticed that OpusFSX incorrectly creates dynamic weather based on closest METARs available. Let me illustrate:

I am on the location of Patriot Hills (airfield code: SCPZ). Runway is ice/snow. I am at about 2800 feet ASL. Antarctic summer. Time - 0350Z. Here's what the spy window shows:

GEN General process monitoring has been enabled ...

SIM Connected to Simulator

SIM Air Folder = Aircreation_582SL

MET NZWN 040300Z 18008KT 140V210 9999 FEW030 12/04 Q1016 BECMG 36015KT

MET NZSP 032350Z 02014KT 4800 IC DRSN BR BKN110 BKN150 M39/ A2898 RMK CLN AIR 01013KT ALL WNDS GRID SDG/HDG

MET NZIR 040325Z 05010KT 9999 SCT200 M16/M22 A2960 RMK GRID 22010KT SDG/HDG

MET 3 Metars Downloaded

MET 249 MetStns, 54 Metars Available

MET Creating Dynamic Weather Map

MET Dynamic Weather Created

MET Dynamic Weather Updated 9:48:33 AM

MET Turbulence: Strength 1 Frequency 1

MET Weather At Current Location [30,30] 0 METARS

MET QNH: 1016 mb, 30.01 in, Temp: 10/6, Vis: 16000m, Wind: 182/10, Upper 261/53

MET Cloud Layer 1: Base 04300ft, Cover 2 octas, Precip 0

MET Cloud Layer 2: Base 20000ft, Cover 6 octas, Precip 0

MET Cloud Layer 3: Base 36200ft, Cover 1 octas, Precip 0

If you look at generated temperature component, which is +10C it becomes clear this is not Antarctica. The closest METARs by location show current temperatures -39C and -16C.

Stephen, any chance you could add some coordinate based variable to the program weather calculation engine to ensure we get plausible temperatures in Arctic and Antarctic locations?

Thanks

Mike

Best regards,

Mike

I it is reading metar from NZWN that is Wellington, capital of NZ, way too far from where you were flying.

It might be useful for OpusFSX to provide a distance to the METARs it is using.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

You might need to try Vatsim weather option maybe ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

This thread is over 470 messages deep and over 19 pages in length. A new user entering this topic would have to spend a day or two just catching up with this topic to make sure he/she got all the subtopics read. I am going to close this thread and force everyone to create specific topics in the Opus forum that users can join as their interests dictate. You can join the top level forum here:

http://forum.avsim.n...-opusfsx-forum/