Sign in to follow this  
jb17011

The End of Flight?

And btw here in the states, we call them " rubberkneckers".

When I first moved to the Chicagoland area, it took me awhile to get used to 'em being called "gapers" here in the Midwest...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Has anyone seen a none flight sim person try Flight?

Yes, and they were immediately hooked and loved flying around for hours and are still playing regularly. The simplicity of mouse flight made it accessible to a complete non-gamer. Instead of stressing over all the controls, the reaction was, "Wow, I can do this and it's great fun. Let's see what else I can make the plane do."

Many people learnt to fly in much more crowded environments

When I was taking flying lessons years ago, I could have gone to Addison (KADS) or to Rockwall. They were both about the same distance away. Addison is one of the busiest regional airports in the country. Rockwall is... in the boonies. Guess which one I chose? Guess which one was cheaper. Guess which one made learning to fly easier. I've never even considered visiting Addison, but I hung around Rockwall a lot. It was friendlier and I got to chat with lots of pilots.

Someone once mentioned that you talked to 5 different people on the radio before you got out of the pattern at Addison. You won't be out of controlled airspace for a half hour at least. Addison is somewhere you go after you've learned to fly the plane.

Has anyone seen a none flight sim person try Flight?

Yes, and he liked it. But he didn't download it. He's got a girlfriend.

I'm not trying to exacerbate the situation, but there IS more than one form of FLIGHT SIMULATION and just because a lot of vocal members like the heavy iron doesn't mean this is the only version of Flight Simulation there is, or has to ever be from this point on...

There are people who like procedure simulators, and there are people who like stick and rudder flying. This wouldn't be a problem if the procedure sim people acknowledged that there was more than one form of serious simming. For me, the touchstone for a serious simmer is that they never use time compression.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Well, time to move on... There are allways alternatives.

In a couple of weeks FlightGear2.8 will be released. XPlane10 is also progressing, and I was renitent about giving it a chance because I wanted to "believe" that MS FLIGHT had a future ....

There is also Prepar3d, although I'm not sure what will come with v2.0 regarding FDM innovation. I've read at their unnoficial forum that they are not working on the FDM - people wanting to use the platform will have to feed their own FDMs, something that is the base of FlightGear too...

And threre's DCS p-51

I am curious about your upcoming impression of X plane, because you were very vocal about every little nuance of Flight that was a tad off. Frankly I think you are going to be in for a rude awakening once you start with X-plane. Let me know if I am incorrect in my assumption.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

This video is hell funny, and Bruno Ganz is an excellent actor. I just find the video a wee bit untasteful in the current situation, don't you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't. We all warned MS this was the wrong path to take. They didn't listen, and shunned us. Now look where they are. Hate to say it, but I told you so MS.

That voiced over ###### video was posted on Avsim before and after some conflict over it Downfall was specifically disallowed by Tom Allensworth and banned from Avsim. I have removed the links and references to it. Please do not link to it again.

It appears that the original thread may have been deleted or lost, but there is somewhat of a reference to it here:

http://forum.avsim.n...25#entry2278240

Kind regards,

PS: I must be a forum junkie to even remember such a thing.

PS: I must be a forum junkie to even remember such a thing.

It seems you have managed to stop being a Teamspeak Junkie.

You are missed :(

It seems you have managed to stop being a Teamspeak Junkie.

You are missed :(

Hey Geoff, I'll be back!

I keep hearing the same old, tired & elitist argument over and over again:

"True flight simming means being able to fly into and out of mega airports in a jumbo jet with zero visibility while interacting with scripted ATC and trying not to collide with other aircraft at the same time. This is is "true" flight simming because that's all *I* like to do, so that's all there is too it and ever should be" :rolleyes:

The irony is flying the big iron is MORE like a video game than a true flight simulator because it's ALL button pressing and knob dialing. The only instance of "real" flight are takeoff and landing... And we all know most commercial aircraft can even land itself if has have to!

Don't get me wrong. I used to be a big iron operator myself. But as another poster on the FSX Forum said, "Takeoff, LCMD, LNAV, VNAV, Descent, ILS, Land. I'm bored to death". I couldn't agree more.

I've gone back to GA flying because it is quote-un-quote real flying in every sense of the word. Hands on, stick (yoke) & rudder, constant scanning of the environment, no computerized assists, etc.

I'm not trying to exacerbate the situation, but there IS more than one form of FLIGHT SIMULATION and just because a lot of vocal members like the heavy iron doesn't mean this is the only version of Flight Simulation there is, or has to ever be from this point on...

You can fly a tube liner stick and rudder if you wanted... I have never used the auto land on the NGX. Even on vatsim I hand fly until at least 10k feet and always hand fly my approaches.

The thing is the vast majority of people are not interested enough in small GA prop planes without guns to support a game on their own. I am not even sure there is enough people into tube liners to support a new game from the ground up, but I will say you will have a easier time selling people on the challenge of flying the same airplane they just flown on in their latest vacation.

Just about every non simmer I ever met that has tried FS jumped right into a large Boeing and wanted to see if they could land it.

Yes, and they were immediately hooked and loved flying around for hours and are still playing regularly. The simplicity of mouse flight made it accessible to a complete non-gamer. Instead of stressing over all the controls, the reaction was, "Wow, I can do this and it's great fun. Let's see what else I can make the plane do."

Sorry but If that was true flight would have been a success. Simple fact is the general public did not find it interesting.

If the planes blew apart in interesting ways upon crashing and if the environment was alive then maybe it would have had a shot.... but in the form they released the game in it was doomed from the start.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Hi everyone,

I just wanna know how could all the ACES and Flight team members just stay without doing anything in the foreseeable future! Since October 2009 former ACES members have launched a new sim studio Cascade Game Foundry (still awaiting for their first game...), maybe Flight's laid off team would do something similar or even better join forces with CGF (daydreaming :) but who knows ?).

Honestly I don't know how much money and time is required to make a sim that at least have the visual quality of Flight, but it'll be a waste if ex ACES and Flight teams won't develop anything in the next 3 or four years. I'd be really surprised if Microsoft license Flight's source code to another company, but it's not something to expect from them.

Time will tell. Hopefully there will be some good alternative (other that X-plane 10) and a brighter future for flight simulation.

Mohamed Adnane.

Cascade Game Foundry is made of Train Sim people, not Flight Sim. I also dont think they have gotten proper funding, as I havent heard anything from them in ages.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

There's more to simulating flight than the feel of it.

Yes, but that to me is the "essence" of the term "flight simulation". I agree that collecting gold coins and aerocaches can hardly be considered to be simulation, but you are still flying a plane that is interacting realistically with its environment. And that's my point. Flight simulation is basically "simulating the interaction of an aircraft with the atmospheric environment". What you do above and beyond that is entirely your concern.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, but that to me is the "essence" of the term "flight simulation". I agree that collecting gold coins and aerocaches can hardly be considered to be simulation, but you are still flying a plane that is interacting realistically with its environment. And that's my point. Flight simulation is basically "simulating the interaction of an aircraft with the atmospheric environment". What you do above and beyond that is entirely your concern.

You are correct in so far as "simulation" can be a very broad term. However, when people talk about a flight simulator, they are generally referring to aircraft operations and not merely "simulating the interaction of an aircraft with the atmospheric environment". Microsoft Flight is more arcade simulator than flight simulator.

Cascade Game Foundry is made of Train Sim people, not Flight Sim. I also dont think they have gotten proper funding, as I havent heard anything from them in ages.

Kevin,

That's my opinion too but I had a glimmer of hope when I once read on their website : "Not only will Cascade Game Foundry address the significant hole in the simulation market left by Microsoft’s recent departure(...)" I thought that they were talking about Flight Simulation.

You've been in the team Kevin and you know how much time, money and energy it takes to make a flight sim but you'd agree with me that it's not an impossible task. No matter how much time it would take, I bet there will be some people who'll still devote themselves to the hobby they believe in and used to make their living out of.