Sign in to follow this  
fsxkitty

Campaign to bring back the FS series

Hi

As you may know, development of MS Flight has been cancelled. I believe that this is a good time to try and persuade MS to continue with the FS series so they can be the king of the virtual skies - just like they were not so long ago.

I have made a FB page for the campaign. Please "LIke" it if you are a flight sim fan like myself. https://www.facebook.com/bringbackfs

Thanks

I admire you for trying, but honestly I don't think its going to happen.

The thing is that for a game to be considered 'successful' in this day and age, it has to generate that monstrous income that proves it was worth the effort. Which means appealing to the mass market. Now flight tried this but in all honesty it still wasn't what the mass market wanted. Firstly, it was on the PC - Let's face it PC has been dying for the last 10 years. Secondly kids these days aren't interested unless it involves blood, gore, violence or at least an explosion or two.

Its a sad state of things but those of us who still prefer our hard-core simulation have to look to the past to get our fix. Because there's not much out there in the future!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Microsoft stopped eveloping FS11/Next because it decided it was no longer commercially worthwhile. Primarily i believe, because the market was too small to support it.

Microsoft aimed at a larger market by developing Flight. If the reports are true then that's not commercially viable either.

The chances of Microsoft devoting resources to developing any sort of flying game must be be virtually zero now..

I think it was inevitable. MS tried to manipulate an already established market. That of the base platform FSX and the addon market around it. The funny thing is that they tried to achieve that with an inferior product. What in the world persuaded them, that they could compete with all the hundred's of people who create amazing products for enhancing, and sometimes completely changing the user experience? Flight simulation is not to be taken lightly, and this is now proven.

Try to remember that Microsoft sold the rights, and code, to Lockheed Martin. That is the NEW FSX. For $50 you can try it. The existing FSX is a very viable system thanks to third party efforts. The one thing Microsoft did correctly was to issue an SDK. Without that it may have died off.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I admire you for trying, but honestly I don't think its going to happen.

The thing is that for a game to be considered 'successful' in this day and age, it has to generate that monstrous income that proves it was worth the effort. Which means appealing to the mass market. Now flight tried this but in all honesty it still wasn't what the mass market wanted. Firstly, it was on the PC - Let's face it PC has been dying for the last 10 years. Secondly kids these days aren't interested unless it involves blood, gore, violence or at least an explosion or two.

Its a sad state of things but those of us who still prefer our hard-core simulation have to look to the past to get our fix. Because there's not much out there in the future!

McPhat 32bit NGX Blood Textures :LMAO:

McPhat 32bit NGX Blood Textures :LMAO:

Or Samurai Flight Sim 2. :ph34r: But, as nudata commented, Lockheed-Martin have picked up the ball with Prepar3d. And LM knows a thing or two about aircraft and simulation. Also most of the serious FSX developers have P3D versions now...some at no extra charge. So, it's alive!

I've installed it on my system, side by side with FSX and am slowly adding in the addons as I get the time. I hope you give it a try.

regards,

It could have been done, only if they wanted to share profits with the powerhouses like PMDG, ORBX and others.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

P3D is not a consumer product and is therefore not really FSX2.

It could have been done, only if they wanted to share profits with the powerhouses like PMDG, ORBX and others.

I believe that they wanted 30% of the profits, which is normal for webshops, or indeed any shop of any kind

The thing is, relatively speaking PMDG/ORBX aren't really mass-market material. Which is a good thing, if they were mass market PMDG would be shipping slightly prettier FSX default aircraft.

Certainly the products from PMDG and pretty much most major developers (perhaps with the exception of just flight) develop for the niche core of users who will loyally lap up everything they produce. They don't have a huge customer base, but an incredibly loyal one.

The kind of profits that PMDG or ORBX would bring to Microsoft would be a drop in the ocean compared to the financial targets that would have been placed on Flight.

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

This is not becoming yet another "The End of Flight" topic. Keep on topic please or face a lock. Thanks.

Hi

As you may know, development of MS Flight has been cancelled. I believe that this is a good time to try and persuade MS to continue with the FS series so they can be the king of the virtual skies - just like they were not so long ago.

I have made a FB page for the campaign. Please "LIke" it if you are a flight sim fan like myself. https://www.facebook.com/bringbackfs

Thanks

Did you say MS Flight had been cancelled? Are you sure?

Bob

Forget about petitioning MS. They are yesterday's news with regards to flightsims. For FSnext we should be petitioning LM to snap up those newly unemployed Flight developers and put them to work on P3Dv2 (multi-core, multi-GPU, 64bit). That's FSnext!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit